Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Labor Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2008, 08:28 AM
    Range wiring - breaker and conductor size
    This weekend I will be wiring a 120/240v 8,800 watt range (oven with 4 burners on top). My questions concern wire and breaker size. I've asked about this before and I still cannot determine the best answer.

I understand that under the NEC, the minimum sized circuit for a range is 40 amp, using #8-3 cable. But doesn't the 80% rule apply here? If so, wouldn't that require that I use a 50 Amp breaker with larger wire (e.g. #6-3).

Here is what I believe the answer is based on previous posts, but I need one of you more experienced guys to confirm (or correct me if I'm wrong):

I can use 40 amp double pole breaker with #8-3 cable. The 80% rule does not apply because this would not qualify as a continuous load, which allows me to load the circuit 100%. Is that correct?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 10:45 AM
    I always run 2 #6's, a #8 for Neutral and a #10 for ground, on Ranges. Then 40, 50, or 60Amp breaker as needed. Many time I won't have specs, or Owner has not picked out, It cost more initially using 6, but can save you from the labor and cost to upgrade later should you get a bigger oven, I like to do things right first time and forget about it, I don't try to set my customers up for future work for myself. Can't quote current code, but a Turkey could cook for over 3 hours.
    Tk, Stanforty or others may give some input.
    New construction and Remodel require 4 wires.

Apr 3, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    I always run 2 #6's, a #8 for Neutral and a #10 for ground, on Ranges. Then 40, 50, or 60Amp breaker as needed. Many time I wont have specs, or Owner has not picked out, It cost more initially using 6, but can save you from the labor and cost to upgrade later should you get a bigger oven, I like to do things right first time and forget about it, I don't try to set my customers up for future work for myself. Can't quote current code, but a Turkey could cook for over 3 hours.
    Tk, Stanforty or others may give some input.
    New construction and Remodel require 4 wires.

Thanks start. I've seen you advise of that before and here's my thoughts. I'm low on available amp space, but want to make this as safe as possible. I'm thinking that the safest way to set this up is to go with the #6-3 and use a 40 amp breaker. (I'm using cable and don't have the skills to bend conduit and pull wire.) I don't think it could hurt to use a larger than necessary conductor (unless someone says otherwise).

Anyone else care to weigh in on this issue? I'd like to hear from TK if possible.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Apr 3, 2008, 01:00 PM
    For ANY household cooking appliance under 12.5Kw the NEC says a circuit of 8/3 and a 40A breaker are all that are required. The demand load of the range is taken into account.

There is no problem using #6, and in that case you can use a 40 or 50 amp breaker.

Apr 3, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman
    For ANY household cooking appliance under 12.5Kw the NEC says a circuit of 8/3 and a 40A breaker are all that are required. The demand load of the range is taken into account.

There is no problem using #6, and in that case you can use a 40 or 50 amp breaker.
    Thanks stanfortyman. Do you know what code says regarding the 80% rule? In other words, does that rule apply in these circumstances or can I load the circuit beyond 80%?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Whirlpool Gas Range keeps tripping the breaker [ 27 Answers ]

My oven is about a year and a half old. I haven't had a single problem with my oven until about 4 weeks ago. I set the temperature to 350 and suddenly while heating it trips the breaker. And I cannot turn the breaker back on until the oven cools. I tried setting a lower temperature and it did the...

Service Entrance Conductor Size / Multiple Bonding [ 1 Answers ]

I am running service to a small, 1 room office, at a barn in the country. The electric utility pole has a transformer (230 V, 1 phase) and 200 amp meter. On the pole I have a 200 amp circuit breaker. From the circuit breaker on the meter pole, I have 4/0 4/0 2/0 AL cable in 2" PVC conduit...

Unused range breaker [ 3 Answers ]

We switched from an electric to a gas range 3 years ago. The 50-amp breaker for the range has been off since. We are considering putting in a supplementary A/C system for the 2nd floor. Our breaker panel has no empty slots. Could I use the 50-amp breaker to feed a sub-panel for the new A/C system?

Service conductor wire size [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a two-unit apartment that previously had fuse boxes for services. I am installing a two meter box outside to supply separate 200-amp rated main circuit breaker panels, one for each apartment. The calculated load for one apartment is about 102 amps, the other about 132 amps. What minimum...

Compatibilities between awg wiring, breaker amp size, outlet amp size [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. Is there a resource out there, prefereably on the web, that outlines the compatibilities between awg wiring, the breaker amp size, outlet amp size, how many recepticles/outlets can be on x amp outlet, etc? For example, it would be nice to see something that shows: you can use a 20 amp...

View more questions Search