Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maryb32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2006, 03:49 PM
    Eye bags & dark circles
    I am 19 years old. I have had bags under my eyes for as long as I can remember. They aren't puffy, not at all. They look like they giant craters. Just recently I have been getting dark circles under my eyes also. I can't stand walking around like this I feel like a zombie, does anyone know how to get rid of these in a natural way? I'd like to try products but I've tried a few vitamin-k's before and the effects were very minimal I feel it was just a waste of money. I'm almost contemplating getting surgery to get rid of them! If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Mary
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Mar 2, 2006, 12:58 AM
    Mary, dark circles are often caused due to sleeplessness or disturbed sleep. Genetics too could predispose you to developing dark circles. You can reduce the darkness in the short term by applying slices of cold cucumber to the area for 15 minutes. Using an under eye concealer also hides the unsightly dark circles. For longer lasting results, use an under eye cream daily, it can improve the appearance of dark circles. If the Vitamin K didn't work, look for creams that contain Vitamin C. If you have a chronic case of under eye circles, you should contact a doctor about treatments.
    Pierrette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2006, 03:36 AM
    I am forty years old ,since I wanted a younger look a doctor injected some solution to fill the under eye circle ,but one of the injections hit a vein & my left eye bleeded as if I had a punch on my eye.
    My right eye showed a little blue line so I used for both Gel a L'arnica which is used for any strike on the skin which leads to blue spots ,and I used it many times per day.
    It has been 40 days now but the result is that I have puffiness under my both eyes which I did not have before .
    The same doctor said that the skin is soft there and they will get back to normal.
    My question is :could the fluid he injected are now constituting these bags under my both eyes?
    Or these bags were generated from using the gel a l'arnica and my eyes need time to get rid of this material.
    Should I need a surgery finally to get rid of them?
    Appreciate a prompt reply.
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Mar 6, 2006, 05:40 AM
    I have developed dark, puffy eyes in the last few years. I am a 53 year old man. I can only imagine how a 19 year old woman must feel. And everyone asks if I slept well last night. I have read as much as I can about this. The news is not good. Where mine is age and family history I pretty much have given up.
    On the news the other night was a report about a new product, I only remember that it started with an 'H' and that it cost $95 for a tiny tube. Two women , one young, one older, applied it for 60 days (which is what is recommended by the manufacturer). This was overseen by a dermatologist. The results? No change. Depressing, I know.
    Now for what I have learned. The skin under the eyes is thinner than on any other part of the body. The darkness occurs because veins are visible through such thin skin. The puffiness is natural fat deposits in the skin, which doesn't mean that a person is overweight, it means the thin skin doesn't hold it as well as other parts of the body.
    Surgery is a crap shoot. It is basically taking some skin away to make it appear tighter. Again, that thin skin doesn't aways heal as well as other skin. I have tried several products over the years (they all seem to be expensive) and I have actually made matters worse as my skin became inflamed and it took weeks to clear up. That is my experience, if other people have had success I am happy for them.
    So, what to do. Skin in general responds well to moisture, but not topically, from the other side, from the body. I have thrown out all the junk I bought and now I only use one product. Petroleum jelly. About 99 cents for a 6 month supply. Not Vaseline, that contains other ingredients, just plain petroleum jelly. I put this on under my eyes at night (or anytime if you aren't going out) and it blocks the moisture from leaving the skin. It is totally harmless, you can even eat it, I also use this for a hand crème. Yes it is messy but nothing I have found works better. It is not a cure but my eyes do respond well to this treatment and I can live with the results. Also, don't overwash this area because soap can dry out the skin and it doesn't hurt to drink more water everyday.
    -

Mar 7, 2006, 12:53 AM
    Pierrette, some minor swelling and bruising can occur during the first few days following the procedure. It's not normal to have swelling and puffiness after 40 days. What the injections does is block nerve impulses, weakening muscles to relax wrinkles and give the skin a rejuvenated look. It appears that your having an allergic reaction to the procedure and the cream. Do not use another under eye cream, it may irritate those areas even more. Surgery may be helpful in reducing puffiness and pigmentation around the eyes. In addition, it may improve or eliminate fine wrinkles and crows feet. Inform your doctor of the symptoms that you've been having. The doctor will evaluate these areas for more specific recommendations.
    maryb32 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2006, 03:03 AM
    I was thinking of maybe trying preparation h. if I were to apply this under the eye would it work? Or does it only work for puffy eyes only?

If it does work for dark circles and undereye bags (not the puffy kind), how would I go about applying it, and how long would I leave it on before washing it off?
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Being a DJ I sometime don't get many hours sleep and I am left with bags under my eyes. I use "Benefit Ooh La Lift" - works a treat, moisturises under the eyes and fades out the bags. It's brilliant! I would well recommend it ;)
    -

Mar 11, 2006, 01:49 AM
    Mary, Preparation H will get rid of the puffiness, however, it won't remove dark under eye circles. Nevertheless, using Preparation H around the eyes can cause dry and inflamed skin, so you may want to consult your doctor before using it.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Mar 11, 2006, 01:58 AM
    Check this out had some useful info
    http://www.indoindians.com/beauty/eye.htm
    Try the library on this book
    http://www.darkcirclesundereyes.com/
    Windwalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Pierrette--

Arnica has long been used by my family for bruises and sprains, and it is truly amazing stuff. It reduces colaration and swelling due to injury, so that's not what's causing the retention of water. When my aunt was little, she ran her arm through an electric wringer on an old washing machine. My grandmother grabbed tincture of arnica and doused her arm, and it never turned black and blue. I've witnessed the same thing with broken bones on two separate occasions. Where we missed putting arnica on turned black (yes, black) whereas the areas that had the arnica applied were slightly yellow (perhaps due to the tincture itself). Unfortunately, the tincture form is not readily available anymore because some idiots drank it, and it can do internal damage. The cream forms don't work. I still have an old bottle and am trying it under my eyes now to see what happens, being careful not to get it in my eyes since it's in an alcohol base, which is not real good for 40+ skin.
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Sep 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
    For dark circles around eyes, make a paste out of 1tsp tomato juice, 1/2 tsp lemon juice, pinch of tumeric powder and 1tsp of flour, apply around eyes and leave on for 10 min before rinsing
    amboys14 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettyLady
    Mary, dark circles are often caused due to sleeplessness or disturbed sleep. Genetics too could predispose you to developing dark circles. You can reduce the darkness in the short term by applying slices of cold cucumber to the area for 15 minutes. Using an under eye concealer also hides the unsightly dark circles. For longer lasting results, use an under eye cream daily, it can improve the appearance of dark circles. If the Vitamin K didn't work, look for creams that contain Vitamin C. If you have a chronic case of under eye circles, you should contact a doctor about treatments.

That's a good answer.. im going to try that =]
    cissy0801 Posts: 129, Reputation: 6

Nov 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Ok, I suggest you don't use eye cream because all it does is make the puffness disappear which is no help in your case. I am really sorry because I don't know how to get rid of it but I do know how to cover it.

So what you do is you buy mouse foundation and tap it gently across the bags (but first, you should apply some eye cream or cream to smooth the foundation). Next you gently get apply concealer using two shades that are closest to your skin colour. Make sure you use a tiny flat brush to smooth it out. Apply the lighter shade theb slowly apply the darker one blending the teo together. Good luck!
    sheni1432 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2007, 10:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb32
    i am 19 years old. i have had bags under my eyes for as long as i can remember. they aren't puffy, not at all. they look like they giant craters. just recently i have been getting dark circles under my eyes also. i can't stand walking around like this i feel like a zombie, does anyone know how to get rid of these in a natural way? i'd like to try products but i've tried a few vitamin-k's before and the effects were very minimal i feel it was just a waste of money. i'm almost contemplating getting surgery to get rid of them! if anyone could help i would appreciate it.

mary
    I was born with dark circles under eye. It is hereditary for me. But I am going to try skin lightner because a friend of mine had the same problem and she used skin lightner and it works. A great web sight to get it from is SKINESSENCE.COM. They also have great skin products. Do you have allergies. If so, you may be prone to rubbing your eyes a lot which may worsen the problem.
    Esiwma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 03:02 PM
    Hello ! Under eye circles are actually called oxidizing hemoglobin.. it's very similar to a bruise ! These under eye circles are caused by leaky capillaries. Yes, used cooled tea bags can be used to eliminate the puffiness. Chamomile, black, and green teas work best. Be careful if you are allergic to any of these, don't use ! Also.. I hear a lot about preparation h works to eliminate the puffiness, but I also hear that they removed the chemical from it that reduced the puffiness. I don't know why they would do that, and if that even makes sense.. What do you guys think ?
    Also.. any cold compress will reduce the puffy under your eyes !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dark under eye circles [ 9 Answers ]

Im only 15 and I already have these anoying bags under my eyes that won't go away!! I think there genetic because both my brother and sister have them to. THere both darker than me, so you don't notice their bags hardly at all. I need some advice on how to make them go away. I get lots of sleep,...

Dark circles and puffinesses under the eyes [ 7 Answers ]

I am 16 and as I grow older I have realised that my under eyes are getting worse everyday. Now I can clearly see the purple veins under my eyes passing by. What I really need help at is: are there any creams you recommend me to use to get a clear certain solution for this problem:confused: please...

Eye bags [ 8 Answers ]

Hey can someone tell me how to get rid of these bags. They are like dens bags the guy on eastenders they are light bags and I don't know how to get rid of them please help. I got these bags because I started to stay up late at night for months and now even when I go to sleep early nothing happens....

Born with dark circles [ 16 Answers ]

Any good advice to get rid of dark circles aorund eyes as I've born with it... I was thinking to try Amira Magic cream... any one know if it is safe for under eye area? Bcoz I don't like to put Concealers on it is so uncomfortable:( Come on share your ideas & experiences with me... I'm still...

Dark under-eye circles [ 19 Answers ]

I have always had dark circles under my eyes. I am white, fair-skinned and blonde. Could this be the only reason? I also saw an ENT doc for a septoplasty 3 years ago and he told me the reason could be sinus related and said the surgery may help, but it hasn't at all. I am well nourished and get...

View more questions Search