Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flameruckus Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Potatoes and dogs.
    Is it truly bad to give a dog a potato? My stepmother says that it is unhealthy because it screws up the iron in their bodies. However, I asked other people, and some say it isn't true. So does it do that?
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 08:39 PM
    I have never heard of that, but I know labman would know.

My dog used to eat everything, from potatoes to salad to french fries.. I mean he ate EVERYTHING like a bottomless pit.. lol
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
    Potatoes as such aren't necessarily bad for dogs. Some dog chows are based on them for dogs allergic to grains. They are also used in some of the temporary bland diets to settle digestive tracts. However, they are not a complete and balanced diet. Unless you are really going to go off the deep end and do some serious research, the less your dog gets to eat besides a dog chow, the better.

I may have heard raw potatoes are bad for them. Rather than try to remember all the things that are bad, it is much easier to remember dog chow is good for them.
    rebeltequila Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Apr 3, 2008, 02:02 AM
    Green and Sprouting Potatoes are and you should always peel them before feeding... mashed is best for wieght gain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Are Potatoes Okay For Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Is it safe to feed a dog 1 1/2 tsp. boiled potato, mixed in with their food, two times per day, everyday?

Potatoes [ 4 Answers ]

Do you add lime to soil for growing potatoes

BBQ Potatoes [ 5 Answers ]

I have been told to put a metal skewer through the jacket potatoes before I bbq them by my moaning father in law... Does this make any difference and if so whyyy!:)

Potatoes in tires [ 3 Answers ]

Anyone ever grow potatoes in tires stacked 4 or 5 high. I read somewhere some time ago that you can start potatoes in the first tire, and as they grow, pile soil up over the tops and they will just keep going until you have a sky high tube of tires totally teaming with tubers. :rolleyes: I...

View more questions Search