Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GibsonPitt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Attic "popping," "cracking" sounds
    I have a ranch townhome that was built in 1998. For several years now there have been loud "popping" and "cracking" noises coming from the attic. This seems to be heat related as I notice more in the hotter months in Colo. The noises, which are loud enough to wake me, sound like they are wood based, not metal. I've been up there and cannot see any irregularities. Would be interested to know if this is normal and if possibly adding a spinning attic vent would help. Thank you.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
    It is materials expanding and contracting due to changing temperatures. Making sure your vents are clear and your insulation is adequate (R30) should help reduce expansion and contraction by keeping the temp in the attic consistent. Do you have a metal roof?

Mar 31, 2008, 01:39 PM
    No. I may spend the money I was going to use to get this inspected on insulation instead. Would one of the round spinning vents also help? Thank you so much for your answer, it was very helpful.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 31, 2008, 01:45 PM
    I would think insulation would help most getting the temperature to be more consistent. A spinning vent may be useful if the temperatures are really high during the day but you don't see those on houses very often. Where are you in CO?

Mar 31, 2008, 02:11 PM
    I'm in Denver.
    eric34 Posts: 56, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 10:59 PM
    Not on topic, I was just reading your entery. I live in mid BC and just build a house and got 17 inches in the attic(R55 I figure) Gets pretty cold sometimes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intertherm Electric Furnace Blower works in "on" not in "auto" [ 6 Answers ]

I have an Intertherm Electric Furnace E2EB-015AH. I came home from work last night, turned the heat on and it didn't work as advertised. I could hear the relays clicking occasionally so I investigated a little and found the elements are heating up and cycling, the relay inside the thermostat cycles...

"what's the big deal?" about using the words "pimped out" in reference to Chelsea? [ 11 Answers ]

Some people don’t seem to think it is a big deal. Clinton Calls Shuster Comment Part of 'Troubling Pattern' | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

View more questions Search