Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gheue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2006, 04:57 PM
    Goodman furnace problems
    Hi - I have a Goodman GPM furnace. It works intermittently. I replaced breaker, thermostat, Control board and surface igniter. All appears well on start up sequence ; blower runs and igniter heats up and then turns off as no gas comes out. Control board codes says OK. Can anybody recommend what to do next. The house and unit is 6 years old and I have had no problems until now. Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2006, 05:34 PM
    After the igniter heats up, check to see if you get 24 volts to the gas valve itself. If it gets power and doesn't open, it is bad. If it isn't getting power, check the connections to the control board.
    sizl37 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2006, 09:27 AM
    Just fixed this problem on my goodman furnace. It was the heat sensor. My furnace kept cycling on and off but would not let the flame burn. The sensor was full of carbon or soot. My ignitor would also light and then shut down. I removed the sensor and lightly sanded it with a 150 grit sand paper till it was shiney again. Works great now and it only took about 15min to do. Just one screw to hold it down and then just unplug it and take it out. Make sure you cut the power to the furnace first. Good luck hope this helps
    :)
    wrknhard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Comment on sizl37's post
    This was the exact problem that I had. My furnace would fire and then quit within 5 seconds. I cleaned the heat sensor and bang, it works again. Thanks for saving me a $200 service call.
    randolf2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Thanks SIZL37 Did what you said every things great.
    randolf2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2009, 04:33 PM

Thanks to hvac1000 as well, the pictures were perfect and everything is a-ok.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
    No problem
    drac2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 08:20 PM

Having the same problem here is the heat sensor
    B CHAMBERS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Furnace starts up the ignighter glows, flame comes on, blower starts and one minute later the flame goes out. However, the blower remains on.
    KakRussell Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 10:37 PM
    I flip the thermostat switch to on the thermostat blinks heat 3 times and clicks once furnace doesn't kick on the blower doesn't blow and no heat
    monster81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 10:03 PM
    Comment on labman's post
    Thank You so much for that handy piece of advise. Already spent $230.00 on a repairmen who didn't help me at all (well if you call lightening my wallet some help). Took others advice-no help. Your trick worked wonders. Running strong
    RacerX2K Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 04:29 AM
    My furnace clicks,ignites,flames,blower comes on heats up home all normal right? But,then it turns off and the blower continues to run continuously and furnace does not reheat until I turn it off from circuit breaker for at least an hour then, the furnace will ignite again.Is this a board problem?
    ccclitter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 08:01 PM
    My goodman furnes won't start
    infantry47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2011, 07:38 PM
    I have the same problem. The furnace starts up and runs good for a few hours and then you hear it start up,the blower starts, then it flames and then shuts off and it repeats itself until I turn off thermostat and wait a few hours then runs fine for a few more hours. I have a goodman GMs8,GHS8 or GDS8 no idea which one. If anyone could help... Almost sounds like everyone's issue here
    eman27 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 06:18 AM
    I have a goodman 100-3 its like 15 yr old just replced the board and worked fine for 1 day and now I don't get 24vt to the gas valve the only way it runs is if I hook a wire from the transformer what do I do
    tx276 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2011, 03:28 PM
    I have a Goodman GMT0450-3b it was installed in 2003. Since I've had three Ctrl. Bds. Installed, each thime the tech say's everything is grounded well. This time when the furnace wouldn't come on I just assumed it was the ctrl. Bd. And replaced it myself, to try and save another $400.00. The furnace is doing the same thing as it did before the bd. Was replaced. The vent inducer comes on the igniter lights but no gas flow. The status light is constantly lit.
    MrMario Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2011, 10:02 AM
    Same problem here, tried cleaning the heat sensor but it didn't help at all. Startup sequence is good, as far as I can tell,but the valve opens intermittently. Any ideas? From what I understand the valve should get ~24V once the ignitor lights, I'm getting ~3-4V on startup, peaking at ~26V once the ignitor lights. Thanks in advance.
    Angelcuevas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2011, 12:43 PM
    My furnace does not light up but we hear a clicking sound and the light indicaticator flashes three times anyone could help...
    carlamo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Where is the control board so I can see which lights are flashing, my goodman furnace is 20 yrs. Old we just replaced the thermostat because sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't!@! Help it still isn't working right.
    1macdaddy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
    Ignighter seems not to glow long enough gas comes on but no flame, so I cleaned flame sensor and replaced it also, however glow bar won't always glow long enough to start unit. How long should glow bar glow? GMS80703

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace gmp [ 7 Answers ]

Ok. I can turn the thermostat to 72 and it will stay on 64 with the fan blowing constant. Burners aren't firing. On the control board for the furnace, there is a trouble shooting light that blinks to tell you what is wrong. It blinks four times which indicates an "Open Limit Switch", and it tells...

Poor Cooling - Goodman high efficiency [ 11 Answers ]

I have a two year old Goodman unit that does not cool properly. The suction line does not get cold - barely slightly cool. It is a 3-ton high efficiency unit with a 5-ton coil. The orifice size was changed from a 74 to a 73, which is now the recommended size. The pressures were 72 and 190 on a 90...

New furnace [ 9 Answers ]

I have got an old furnace I am going to have to replace eventually. I was looking for general advice right now what I should know when finding someone to replace it. I don't want to get into a situation where it will cost me thousands of dollars when I don't need to. I have a gas furnace with hot...

Goodman Model A32-15 [ 1 Answers ]

I understand how ot wire abasic thermostat but on my Goodman I have OTC-OT1-OT2 & OT3. What are these for?

View more questions Search