Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isaacshope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Child support out of state
    My ex wants to move out of state and take our son with her. What are my child support rights and do I have to pay an increase of living in the state that she lives in or mine? I live in Minnesota and she wants to move to the west coast.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 01:00 PM
    The courts that settled your case for child support in the first place is the one that should always handle any issues because they will hold jurisdiction. Are you in agreement with the move ? And no if she does gat to move then its not your obligation for her poor judgement and increased costs.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2008, 06:17 AM
    You would continue to pay your child support to Minnesota. The agency in turn would send the money to her in the new state. This is assuming that you pay the child support money to the child support agency versus sending it directly to her. If you send it directly to her then your rate would not increase unless she goes back to court in Minnesota and has it changed.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 29, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Your support payments are mandated by the courts. For her to get an increase she would have to petition i9n Family court for a modification of the support agreement. This would probably need to be done in Mn courts.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 29, 2008, 06:40 AM
    She can go back to court and ask for an increase, but the courts will be the ones to decide, normally the same court where the child custody agreement is at.

In many agreements there are rules that do not allow her to leave the area with the child ( if you were using your visitiation rights) unless you agree or she gets permission from the court.
    But you did not say anything about missing your child or stopping her from moving so you will not get to see your child less.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In NY State @ What Age Does Child Support End [ 8 Answers ]

Our court papers do NOT state an age limit for child support to end. Both my kids are in college. One is 18 the other just turned 21. 1. Is the state of NY going to end the support one day without notice? 2. Can their father end the support at any time without me knowing until get a payment...

REMOVING child support obligation: federal vs. State of Idaho [ 10 Answers ]

I am disabled (ssid), permanently. Child support is automatically deducted from my disability of $800.00 each month. The amount deducted is $50. Ssi office says they can not remove that obligation. But Idaho law reads that if a child is over the age of 23 , then any amount owed is waived. My son...

Child support questions state of Florida [ 3 Answers ]

My X-husband owes a few thousand dollars in child support, can I either lien his new house that has both his name and his new wife's name(which is a different last name) or I recently found out she deposited an inheritance in their joint account, can I freeze those assets and collect? thanks, MH

View more questions Search