Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PVLady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2008, 07:31 AM
    Flapper Won't Go Down After Flushing
    I recently had a toilet removed to replace the flange which was leaking. When it was reinstalled, I asked for a new handle since the old one was corroded. Since the new handle was put in the flapper will not go back down after it flushes. It just stands on end until you jiggle the handle. I have tried changing the length of the chain as well as its position on the handle, but neither works. I also noticed that I can wiggle the flapper a lot. The toilet is 38 years old, but we like it since it always flushed better than the new ones that have less water.

I also have another newer toilet which does not seem to flush right. It is a 1.6 gallon toilet, and when flushed, many times everything does not go down. I lifted the top to see what was wrong and noticed that the flapper goes down when only about half of the water empties from the tank. How do I fix this? Also, many times this toilet makes a noise like someone is flushing it. We can hear it when we are in bed at night. It will suddenly run for about 5 seconds then stop. Is this caused by the flapper also?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 28, 2008, 09:39 AM
    I know you said you already played with the chain but that first toilet needs to have its chain lengthened by about 1". The flapper should not reach full vertical. The second toilet is running at night because the flapper isn't making a good seal. Lift the flapper and feel the edge of the ring it sits on. Feel for chips, nicks and/or a build up of goo. Clean that edge and then check the flapper itself. I generally just install a new flapper for about $3.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 28, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Let's adjust those flappers.
    With the flapper seated the linkage wants to have 1/4" of play. Too much play and the flapper doesn't get pulled back enough giving you a short flush. Too tight and it lets water seep past the flapper. I adjust the chain by the link and if it needs fine tuning, I bend the flush lever rod a bit untill I have the desired play in the linkage. One more thing about a flapper. you will see where the old flapper hooks onto the base of the white overflow tube. On a older type with no hooks the flapper has a ring that slips down over the overflow tube to the seat. If your tank has hooks, take a sharp knife or scissors and cut the neoprene ring off on the marks provided and hook the flapper on the hooks. Leaving the ring on will interfere with the flush. The water level in your tank should be 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the overflow tube when the tank's filled. And the little tube wants to run from the ballcock and connect to the white overflow tube.. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Flapper ! [ 11 Answers ]

Okay... my father decided to fix the toilets one day for a variety of reasons I won't go into right now... BUT ever since THEY HAVEN'T BEEN RIGHT!! Wish he'd leave my HOUSE ALONE!! Anyway, I digress... The FLAPPER on the 2 toilets aren't working properly. When you flush they stay up for just about...

Flapper closing too soon [ 22 Answers ]

Hey guys, I've always found toilet problems to be pretty easy to solve, but this one has me stumped... In a nutshell, the flapper closes way too soon and the toilet therefore does not flush completely, unless you hold the flusher down. I have set the slack in the chain to 1/4 inch, the flapper...

Flapper gets stuck in up position [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - when I flush my toilet, it flushes properly but the flapper remains in the up position, it doesn't fall unless I jiggle the handle or push it down manually. The chain is not holding it up, there is enough slack for it to fall. Any suggestions?

Flapper arm [ 19 Answers ]

It seems like the flapper arm is sticking up but I can't figure out why. Also I notice my toilet is flushing twice, what to do about that. Thanks a lot guys

Flapper closes to soon [ 4 Answers ]

I have a low flush toilet that has a problem. When you flush it instead of pushing the handle down and walking away you have to stand there and wait for the water to drain. I took the tank top off and looked in side. This is the kind of toilet that has the floater that is a cylinder on the input...

View more questions Search