Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rain67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2006, 11:11 PM
    4 Kids in 1 Room
    My wife and I have a two bedroom house and we have 4 kids. The kids share one room and we have the other room. Is having 4 kids in one room against the law? We are in CA. Or, if it is not against the law, would it be looked down on if we have to go through a custody battle with one of our ex's? I'm just trying to figure out if we need to change things around. Thank you!
    scaredgal Posts: 18, Reputation: 10

Feb 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
    I am no lawyer but how old are the kids and are they the same gender because if it's a mixture of boys and girls that might be an issue.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Hi,
    I am not a Lawyer either, and do not know the law in your particular state.
    But, I know of no law which limits the number of children to a bedroom! Many families in America cannot afford to have 1 bedroom for each child.
    How old are they? This would be something to talk with a Lawyer about, and get a Professional opinion as to whether it would have an effect on a Child Custody case. I do wish you the best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Hello, I know of no laws that decide how many kids you can have once the kids are yours.

With that said, there are requirements if you were to go out and try to adopt. Normally no more than two children to a bedroom, two children of the different sex after todler have to have separate rooms.
    I don't remember for sure but after three people they want two bathrooms. They also have square footage requirements.

Now these are not laws for child welfare and abuse investigations.

but of course it will be used against you if you go to child custody court.

Things I have used in the past.
    1. Locaton of the home, if next door to a bar, X rated area, even if it is in a high crime area, compared to one in a quiet neighborhood next to a park and so on.

2. type of home, old mobile home compared to three bedroom brick
    3. amount of living space and square footage of living area
    4. How clean it is in side, Ihave had investigators "find a way" to get photos of inside the house to use in court if the court would accept them.

Remember child custody is a dirty battle, the other side will do and say anything and everything to win. The more dirty the better to many as long as they win.

So yes having to put 4 children in one bedroom ( also the size of that bedroom ) (two bunk beds may I assume) will be used in court most likely if they are going to try to prove it is better for them to live with the other parent.
    weda_7526 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Mar 6, 2006, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rain67
    My wife and I have a two bedroom house and we have 4 kids. The kids share one room and we have the other room. Is having 4 kids in one room against the law? We are in CA. Or, if it is not against the law, would it be looked down on if we have to go through a custody battle with one of our ex's? I'm just trying to figure out if we need to change things around. Thank you!
    The law in every state is different. Im from California so I do know the law there. You can have two children per room if they are same sex. Different sex must have their room after age five. This law is based on housing laws. With four in one room the ex could have a case.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Are the 4 kids all the same gender? If not, it is against the law for them to share a room past a certain age, usually 6 or 7 and that'll vary state by state. Even if they are all the same gender, having all 4 of them share the same room might not look good if you ever did have to go to court for a custody issue with one of the exs. You may want to take steps to change that situation now before it comes up against you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Room makeover [ 1 Answers ]

I'm re-doing my room from it's childish girly state that it once was and doing it goth (its a choice ;)) and I have a lot of girly looking stuff still- jewlery boxes, flower/ funky stuff that I can't get rid of (I'm a pack rat type of gal). What should I do? Part with it all or what? I am doing my...

Painting my rec room, should I... [ 13 Answers ]

I'm having the casing going around the mid height of the room, some call it a chair stop? Anyway, it will be a 2 tone room, chocolate brown and an off white-beige kind of colour. I was going to put the dark colour on top and the light on the bottom... or is their a general rule of thimb to this...

Can a guy use the ladies room? [ 27 Answers ]

In Santa Monica California, if a restaurant has marked ladies and mens rooms may a man use the ladies room if it is not occupied?

Odor in toilet room [ 5 Answers ]

We just finished a remodel and the toilet was moved a few feet in a separate room. The toilet has two flush modes (small and large) and due to the remodel the waste line travels a ways with two large radius 90 degree bends. It's vented of course. I've noticed a musty odor in the room, but it's...

I want a chat room [ 7 Answers ]

We need some sort of chatroom on this site I think it would be cool

View more questions Search