Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IluvProjects Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 06:17 PM
    2 washers 1 hookup station & 1 drain
    We have had our maytag washer and dryer hooked up for many years in our basement without any problems. I have always wanted to have a second washer hooked up to make washing that much faster. We recently got a kenmore washer from friends who upgraded. Both washers are about 5 years old.
    Here is my question: for the water hookup I believe I should be able to Split the existing faucets and connect to both machines. My problem is with the drain. I have a 2" stand pipe that is approximately 36" tall. (the whole set up is in a little box) How do I add a second drain? And is adding a drain the most economical solution? (the washer was free so I hate to spend a ton in plumbing it and make it a big expense.)
    I wanted to use the one drain and run both discharge hoses to it somehow? Seems no one can tell me how to connect the two drain hoses to my standpipe since it is a box. If I can do that my plan was to run the machines one right after another and never at the same time because I am sure I would have a flood because it is only a 2" standpipe.
    Other wise my thought was to have my 2nd washer drain into a wash tub and then slowly drain it into my main floor drain and avoid messing with my original drain set up that has been working just fine. I have the wash tub in my basement already but it is not connected to anything. No water or drain. But I could use it as a holding place for my wash water. I am thinking this way just sounds like more bother than benefit.
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2008, 06:23 AM
    You have options here.** 1) you can keep your washer box and simply trade the hoses back and forth as the washer was used.**2) You could put a washer hose check valve on one of the washers and direct the flow into the floor drain with a indirect waste. **OR** 3) you could remove the washer box and stand pipe and install a double wye with two street 45,(see images) just above the trap and come up with two washer standpipes. The water's so simple I won't even go there.
    Good luck in whatever you decide on. Tom
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 26, 2008, 07:04 AM
    If you do decide to drain both to the same existing drain line you will likely have some issue if/when they both eventually drain at the same time. Most drains are 2" if you are lucky and that is not enough for two machine simultaneously draining, go with the wash tub. I like Tom's #2 the best but all would work.

Mar 26, 2008, 07:15 AM
    I was wondering about that 2 standpipe issue.. You answered it before I got it posted thanks! But I have an additional question about switching the hoses.. Please skip first question and go to the second one Thanks!
    If I were to decide to go the route of taking out the washer box and putting in two stand pipes, would that be able to handle the flow of both machines at the same time? Just curious.. Plumbing is something I don't really like to mess with. I guess if that just eliminates the need to put my drain hose in and out with machine usage I think I might just switch the hoses back and forth and keep it simple.
    I have a question requarding choosing that route as well. Our maytag washer's drain hose is jammed into the stand pipe pretty good and doesn't want to simply be lifted out. I was trying to determine if the install guys did that on purpose or if it just has gotten that way over time. I was thinking I didn't want to mess with it if it was supposed to be a tight seal, because I just don't want to end up with a backflow of water all over my floor.
    Thanks for your help.

Mar 26, 2008, 07:32 AM
    "would that be able to handle the flow of both machines at the same time?" probably not. A new Maytag can at times overwhelm a 2" pipe and the 2009 code will increase that pipe to 3" because of this problem. How big is your current stand pipe, a drain hose should not be able to get jammed into it by itself.

Mar 26, 2008, 08:15 AM
    The stand pipe is 2". I took a picture of the washer box. (below)
    I too didn't think the hose could be just stuck in the standpipe, but I wasn't sure how hard to pull on the drain hose to try and get it out.
    Name:  Washer hookups.jpg
Views: 5340
Size:  53.2 KB
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 26, 2008, 10:34 AM
    If I were to decide to go the route of taking out the washer box and putting in two stand pipes, would that be able to handle the flow of both machines at the same time? Just curious..
    No! The only reason I suggested it was because you said that they wouldn't be running at the same time.
    Our maytag washer's drain hose is jammed into the stand pipe pretty good and doesn't want to simply be lifted out. I was trying to determine if the install guys did that on purpose or if it just has gotten that way over time.
    Maytagv pumps are more powerful then other pumps.My bet's that the installerv made the drain a closed system for just that reason. If you're considering #2 as a option here's another washer hose check valve for you. Let me3 know what you wish to do and we'll walk you through the process. Regards, Tom

Mar 26, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Tom has a good suggestion for you. That pipe doesn't appear to be attached, it could just be the ribbing is snagging when you try to pull it out. Try pulling straight up and not on any angle at all, shut come right out unless the installer smoothered it in silicone glue and shoved it into the box.

Mar 26, 2008, 12:33 PM
    I have been looking at the drain hose trying to figure out how it is stuck in the standpipe. I took a flashlight and crammed my head as close as I could to get a look. I do not see any silicone or any type of sealant. I can tell the drain hose goes in at least 6 inches. But the hose is tight in there, I have no wiggle room to move it around it is secured somehow. Whether it be just stuck or actually have and extra rubber around the end of the hose to make it stick. I have pulled out my manual and all the install instruction that I can find- I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks

Mar 26, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Save your neck and get a small mirror with that flashlight. If there is any connect to the drain pipe it is very unconventional, I've seen people put drywall screws through the pipe and the drain line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement Shower Drain & Sink Drain issues [ 5 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement and have a few plumbing questions... some info on the home. My house was built in 1999, and I live in South Elgin, IL. It is a walkout basement and I do not have an ejector pump. The builder did the rough-in plumbing when the house was built. There are 2 2" PVC pipes...

Amp hookup [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new car with a good stereo system in it but it doesn't have the preamp outputs for the rca cables is there another way to hook my amp and subwoofers up to my stereo? If so how can go about doing it.

240 20 Amp double pole hookup [ 3 Answers ]

So this site is great, thanks Ok my next question is if I have a 12-2 wire at the baseboard then I would hook-up the dual-pole 20Amp at the box with both the white and black into each of the breakers connection and of course the ground to ground, no nuetral, right? Steve

Amp sub hookup [ 1 Answers ]

My sub is a kicker s15 15 inch 1500w solo baric. What wattage should I get for an amp?

View more questions Search