Ask
    AZBEE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Adding name to title on house
    What form do I need to add a name to title to a home
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 11:36 AM
    You can merely do a quick claim deed in many states ( a lot will also depend on the type of deed of you, ( if you use a deed, some states have various ownership methods of property)
    peggy121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 03:57 AM
    I would like to add my sister to the deed on my home, what do I need to do
    Katiegirlisme Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 25, 2008, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBEE
    What form do I need to add a name to title to a home
    A quit claim is correct but it will have to be notarized. And the manner in which you hold the title (when you add her to the deed, you have to list the type of ownership she has in the property) will matter greatly if something happens to either of you. If you are not familiar with types of ownership on a deed, get help-paralegal or lawyer. Too much money is or could be at risk.

For instance, if you held the title one way, if you died, then the house would be hers alone (and not subject to be part of community property in a will). If you held title another way, it could mean that if you died, she/he only owns a certain percentage of the home.

It's very complicated.

Kate

Kate
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
    [QUOTE=Katiegirlisme]A quit claim is correct but it will have to be notarized. And the manner in which you hold the title (when you add her to the deed, you have to list the type of ownership she has in the property) will matter greatly if something happens to either of you. If you are not familiar with types of ownership on a deed, get help-paralegal or lawyer. Too much money is or could be at risk.

For instance, if you held the title one way, if you died, then the house would be hers alone (and not subject to be part of community property in a will). If you held title another way, it could mean that if you died, she/he only owns a certain percentage of the home.

It's very complicated.

Don't all Deeds have to be notarized? I thought a quit claim simply conveyed title from one party to another, didn't change the ownership, the way the property is/was held.

There are other types of deeds (tenants in common, etc.) but they don't enter into a quit claim situation - I think - ?
    Katiegirlisme Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 26, 2008, 09:36 AM
    If my memory serves me correct, I believe if you are going to quit claim someone onto your title, you actually quit claim it to yourself and to the other person, as well. Because if you just quit claimed it to the other person, you would actually be giving up your ownership rights so the quit claim must be made out to both of you.

For instance:

I, Joe Smith, hereby quit claim 1212 xoxoxx street, etc. to:

(i.e.) Bob Henderson, and to Joe Smith (yourself), tenants in common (for example)...

I don't have one in front of me to use the exact wording but I'm pretty certain that the ownership rights must be included or should be on the quit claim, as well. The owner is giving up part of his ownership rights on the title but I don't think the deed will be rewritten, especially if there is a loan in place on the property at the time the quit claim is recorded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding name to Car Title [ 6 Answers ]

Can I add my husbands name to my car title, or anyone else's name for that matter?

Help! House music song title dilemma [ 3 Answers ]

I heard a song in some club and I know just one phrase. It sounded like "ooh, im starvin, without your lovin" and it had a "na na na nananana na na" part by the end of the chorus? Does anyone know this song's title?

Adding outside air to house [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any way to inexpensively add outside air to a home. For instance can I just tie a 1" or 2" pvc pipe from outside to my return duct to add outside air. I am not sure if this is a crazy question or not but it would seem OK. I live in the Philadelphia area so it can get pretty cold - so...

View more questions Search