Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoelCol05 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Wood burning stove near cinder block wall
    I'm putting a wood burning stove right near a cinder block wall and it's on a stone slab. Nothing combustible around it. Can I put it right next to the wall since it's cinder block? And the flue pipe needs to go through the cinder block and scaling the wall. I have stainless steel spiral pipe as my exhaust, but I need to know if it needs to be double walled. Also considering putting tile onto the cinderblock behind the stove if that helps at all. Any and all help welcome!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 09:48 PM
    All joints in the pipe need to be exposed for periodic inspection for your safety.(none hidden in wall etc)

I recommend a double wall pipe. It will draw better since it will retain heat. A single wall pipe exposed to the outside cold temperature with a wood stove which fires at a lower temp that a fireplace will cause a condensation problem and draw problem. This is why I recommend a double wall set up.

36 inches is minimal clearance to combustible material for most wood stoves according to code. Reason is a wood fired stove can become a uncontrolled burn causing the stove flue and chimney to actual glow from being so hot. It is called run away burn and can happen anytime enough creosote starts burning. This is why you need to clean all components of the system every year to help prevent this.
    JoelCol05 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 04:39 AM
    Well firstly, I understand the recommendation for double wall, but in all fairness, it's being installed in a detached garage, and probably being fired up at most 10 times in the year, so I don't know how much of a real problem the condensation will pose. Also, I'm not 100% sure about this but I thought cinder block is a non-combustible material. Either way I'm making a flanged safing where the pipe goes through the wall. And all joints are exposed and sealed with fire sealant
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 24, 2008, 06:15 AM
    When you give improper information you get bad answers.

You did not state it was going to be in a garage!!

BUT I am glad you did. Now you have to raise the stove up a minimum of 18 inches off the floor to prevent combustion of flammable vapors sometimes present in the garage area. This is one of the most looked at code compliance issues by insurance companies in case of a fire and since I know you are going to get a permit so your insurance will stay in effect.

If you do not use the stove at all it still has to meet the minimal codes for the install. So it does not make a difference if you use it one or one hundred times a year.

As far as the double wall pipe goes it is your discission what you do. You asked the question and I gave you the correct answer.

But the real question I have is why ask for (((Any and all help welcome)) when you already have it in your mind what you are going to do. Did you really think someone was going to agree with your poor standards for the install? All of us here are professionals and we only give safe and correct answers to questions .

Sorry we could not help
    heatingman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
    hvac1000, wow... you have a little bit of an ego, don't you. The guy has an idea of what to do and is asking if it is OK. Before you try to belittle someone in the future, at least make sure you know how to spell. Its decision, not discission. This isn't the venue to be a jerk. I hope using a big word like venue didn't confuse you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removeing wood burning stove [ 2 Answers ]

I'm purchasing a home and it has a wood burning stove right off the kitchen and I'll probably never use it. Is it hard to remove? Is it worth something? Or should I just keep it?

Removing a wood burning stove [ 1 Answers ]

Help! When we brought this townhome it came w/a wood burning stove in the fireplace. It is ugly to us and we would like to remove it. Can we just leave the "hole" and still burn wood?

Mold on outside cinder block wall [ 2 Answers ]

I have black mold growing on my outside cinder block wall sourendering my back yard. I live in Las Vegas so the climate is dry but watering the lawns is causing the mold to grow since we have to water in the evenings so the water does evaporate so fast due to the hot climate. How do I remove this...

Cinder block sitting wall construction help [ 1 Answers ]

I have contracted to have a cinder block with stone accent, and flagstone top installed. The wall is to be 24" high. The landscaper that I contracted with is using a sub on the wall. I over heard the sub telling the landscape company that he need more gravel and mortar for filling in the...

View more questions Search