Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stixx813 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Are there any programs to aid the disabled with interior home improvement
    I am a 27 yr old man who was paralyzed in a car crash. I live with my parents and my three children. I can't get into our bathroom in my wheelchair because the door isn't wide enough. My parents have to pick me up and carry me to the bath tub. The house is paid for and in my fathers name but I only receive a monthly disability check.Are there any programs or grants that could help me remodel that bathroom?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 23, 2008, 07:39 AM
    You need a wheelchair accessible bathroom and there is lots of help for the disabled to tackle this. It just takes time and finding the right resource. Please check this website, it may be a start. It look misleading but there are probably other services as well.

Ramps and Ramp Products From Handi-Ramp
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Don't know if narrower wheelchair will help:
    Tuffcare - 16" Narrow Wheelchair.fixed Arm/elev Legs. 220 Lb
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Don't know if narrower wheelchair will help:
    Tuffcare - 16" Narrow Wheelchair.fixed Arm/elev Legs. 220 Lb
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 03:16 PM
    In resposne to tickle, thanks and I have seen a door that open to the tub, it is sealed and eleminates stepping over the side, will see if I can Locate. Can't help with the programs
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Found this:
    Walk-in Bathtubs With Door - Handicap Accessible Baths
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2008, 07:31 PM
    Stixx813, Stratmando & Tickle - There is State & federal funds available for this purpose. Contact the county court house and tell them what you need and who to talk to. Also you can do the same onj the state side . I believe if you call or look in your phone book for the state dept . Of health & human services, you vcan find out some things ,where it won't cost you a cent . When I was still working I did a lot of work in this area for the state ,County, Fed, Government. We have one office in this county that handdles all this , Another place you can contact is city hall and talk to the BUILDING INSPECTOR AND GET SOME GOOD INFORMATIO> And where and who to contact . >> I Think the one you will have to contact ,will be ( YOUR STATE DEPT> OF HUMAN RESORCESES I will try and contact the one in this county and see which one you will have to contact, The actuall name of the right office to talk to is slipping mind right noew. Hope this helps , Good luck and GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E.
    bgaffney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2011, 06:12 AM
    Are there any resorceses for home repair to help with the cost of the repair. For low income on disability people.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home improvement grant for a disabled individual [ 3 Answers ]

Need to know if there are grants available to disabled individuals to remodel the home such as interior painting, taking off paneling and replacing it so it can be painted, putting in a bathroom vanity, new kitchen floor, remodeling kitchen cabinets, putting in new carpet and finishing a garage...

Home improvement [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I am having problem removing ceramic tile from the soft partiton wall as I don't want to apply force to avoid plaster board demage any recommendation I thought heat gun might be an idea but haven't tried yet advice any easy method Secondly how to take off gloss enemal from a warnish...

Home improvement for disabled brother [ 2 Answers ]

My brother needs a wheelchair accessible ramp and shower. He has his own house. Can he get a Federal grant for this improvement? Thx

Home improvement assistance [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a good reliable source for home improvement grants for a disabled person just beginning the process of becoming unable to care for self? Needing help with turning home into wheelchair and hospital bed suitable?

Interior home improvement [ 4 Answers ]

How high should a chair rail go on a wall when it is in a living room?

View more questions Search