Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmart Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2004, 01:14 PM
    Puppies and bones
    What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. Was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We called the vet and he said he would most likely digest it, but I want to know if anyone else has had this experience and/or knows what is safe and what is not. Thanks!
    viking Posts: 131, Reputation: 7

Apr 26, 2004, 01:51 PM
    Puppies and bones
    Most bones are safe for dogs. Just like humans, dogs take the chance that when they swallow a smaller piece of bone that it will lodge sideways in the dog's throat. The compressed bones made up of bone meal and various nutritional supplements are a safer but costlier bet. If you really want to make your dog happy then give him plenty of attention and exercise.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2004, 01:58 PM
    Re: Puppies and bones
    What is safe is very dependent on the dog itself. Some dogs are capable of splintering even fairly large bones. Any bone the dog gnaws down and swallows is dangerous. Even if it isn't splintered into sharp points, the dog could choke on it or have trouble passing it. Large bones that the dog gnaws on without consuming it very quickly are safer than smaller ones. The safest of the natural bones are the large, boiled ones from the pet store.

As much as the dogs enjoy real bones and rawhide, they are safer without them. The pet stores are full of toys that many dogs will quickly chew up into
    Pieces they could choke on or cause intestinal blockages. If you are not
    There to watch, stick to sturdy stuff such as Nylabones and Kongs. Keep a
    Close eye on chew toys and quickly discard anything that is coming apart in
    Pieces. Rawhide is especially bad because it swells after being swallowed.
    These problems are the worst with, but not limited to, large, aggressive
    Chewers such as Labs.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.

My 8 month and 10 year old Labs don't have anything to chew except the Kongs, rigid plastic bones and my poly ropes. The 10 year old quickly destroys anything else. They are both very good about not chewing other things.

Feel free to come back. I am on my 14'th puppy since 1991, and have lots of experience to share.
    a-vixen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dmart
    What kind of real bones are safe to give to a puppy. was always told to never give dogs chicken bones because they can choke on them. So, we gave our 13 week old puppy a spare rib bone and we think he ate the entire thing in about a half hour. Is this even possible, and how dangerous is it? We called the vet and he said he would most likely digest it, but I want to know if anyone else has had this experience and/or knows what is safe and what is not. Thanks!!
    I have just given my doxi who is 10 weeks old a knuckle bone from the butcher.. the advice given was under supervision and you should be OK.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 10:20 AM
    No dog was ever harmed by not being given bones and rawhide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New mother to 5 puppies [ 1 Answers ]

Our dog gave birth to five lovely puppies yesterday, she coped excellently, but we are not sure what our next step should be, do we take her to the vet, she seems healthy and the pups are suckling well, when can she go out, should she be panting - she is drinking little but often is this normal,...

Rawhide bones [ 2 Answers ]

I heard rawhide is not good for dogs. Is this true? If so, how come? Thanks everyone

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

My pug puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 six week old pug puppies that don't want to wean from there mother they cry for her so I was wondering do I keep them away from her all times or what.thanks

Shih tzu ate chicken bones hheeelllllllllllpppppppppp [ 2 Answers ]

Ok my little shih tzu of nearly 10 months likes to dig through the bin. Anyway two nights ago he pulled out the bag full of cooked chicken wing bones and ate them. I didn't know until he was sick. This morning when I woke up in the kitchen there was sick everywhere and it was all just chopped up...

View more questions Search