Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weezerbabe39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Time line For Wisdom Teeth Removal Healing
    I just recently had all four wisdom teeth removed as well as the four molars they were next to. I was just wondering, when will I be in the clear for not losing a blood clot. When will I be able to stop worrying about if food is stuck in the cavities/sockets?
    Thank you
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 20, 2008, 04:24 PM
    This all depends on how quickly you heal. Another factor is is you smoke cigarettes. If you smoke cigarettes your healing time will just about double. Anytime I have had teeth removed I would go very gently for about 2 days before I would feel confident about getting any food stuck in the sockets. Everything should heal up in about a 2 week window time frame but it will take sometime for the gums to actually become smooth again in that area. Don't smoke and you'll heal much faster.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2008, 05:48 PM
    The day after you have your teeth removed you can start rinsing GENTLY with warm salt water as often as you like for the next 2-3 days.

AVOID spitting, drinking through straws and smoking for the first 24 hours.

It will take a few weeks for the sockets to close if stitches weren't placed so do your best to keep them clean.

Don't poke anything in them while they are healing, swish gently with water when needed.

If you have a real difficult time with food getting stuck in them you can ask your dentist for a syringe (one with the plastic tip attached as one piece) so you can flush them out after eating.
    daya78 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2008, 09:00 PM
    I agree with flossie. Keep your mouth clean. Good oral hygiene is very imorportant. Don't disturb the clots in any way. You may feel bony spicules sometime in the sockets.. don't poke.. rinsing with warm salt water is good.. but be gentle.. too much rinsing may result in loss of blood clots.. u can take liquid food if you have difficulty.. avoid sticky foods.. flushing the area with syringe will help to keep the area clean...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Possible wisdom teeth removal alternative? [ 2 Answers ]

My wisdom teeth are about to come through and as there is no room my dentist told me I will definitely have to have them out. But in three of my existing molars, I have mercury fillings which I hate. I was wondering if it was possible, to have those molars removed instead of my wisdom teeth,...

Wisdom Teeth [ 4 Answers ]

I will soon be getting my wisdom teeth removed and I am assuming that they will put me fully under. I have never experienced this before and with the new movie out (Awake - where the man is mentally awake during his entire surgery and can feel all the pain) I am just a little curious I guess as to...

Wisdom Teeth [ 14 Answers ]

My son had his 4 wisdom teeth and 4 back molars removed yesterday. He has kept the gause on nad changed as needed. He has now put the tea bags on the spot since it is still bleeding. Is this normal? Should he put the gause back in? I do not want him to get dry sockets as I have heard that this...

Wisdom teeth removal and stitches [ 5 Answers ]

I had two of my wisdom teeth removed on the 13th of this month and they put a stitch in each socket now the lower stitch has gone but the top one is still flapping about up there. My question is how much longer will it still be there its soluble and I'm still swilling with salt water but its...

Wisdom teeth [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ Help me, I am 17 and I think I am dying. My mom says that I am getting my wisdom teeth in. My left side of my mouth is slightly swollen and very sensitive. There is a part of my cheek or gums (or something) that is irritated and swollen OVER my back molars. Am I really getting my wisdom...

View more questions Search