Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alandotm Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 05:25 PM
    New wiring for 2 lights and celing fan with hunter 3way switch
    I have 3 rooms on one circuit, 20 amp. Lights only. 2 rooms only have light fixture in ceiling and mstr. Bdrm has new ceiling fan with light kit. Ran new romex 12/2 wiring from circuit panel to junction box. From junction box went to each room. Got room1 working by running whitewire (hot) to bottom pole of switch. As I read on another site. Used identical instructions in bedroom 2 and it won't work. Same with master bdrm. Nothing at all. Can some one Please help me 2 get this wiring correct? Any and all help is much appreciated.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 10:32 AM
    The white wire should not be hot if you are in the US. What country are you in?

Mar 18, 2008, 12:01 PM
    I am in the usa. What I have done is run the new wiring from panel to junction box. From junction box to each of 3 rooms directly then from light fixture in each room to switch. 2 with ceiling lights only and one with new ceiling fan with light kit. After reading this article http://www.indepthinfo.com/wire-swit...houtlet.shtmlI was able to get first bedroom working. Admittedly it does go out to another light that I am NOT rewiring at this time. I tried using this drawing from same webiste to get second room working and it won't. How To Wire a Switch - Light then Switch at End of Circuit and am not even going to attempt master bedroom until I get everything else working. The switch in the master bedroom is a hunter 3 wire ceiling fan and light control switch hunter model number is 27182. I ran an extra hot wire from ceiling fan light control wire to outlet as this is what it describes as what I needed to do so in master bdroom I have 2 black(hot), one white (neutral), one bare (ground). Any ideas from this?
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 12:35 PM
    That's a pretty confusing drawing you're looking at, it makes a simple circuit look complicated.

So, you would run 12/2 from the panel to the junction box. 12/2 from the junction box to each ceiling fixture. In the junction box, connect all blacks together, all whites together, and all grounds together.

You would run 12/2 from each light fixture box to it's corresponding wall switch. (Each wall switch will have black connected to one terminal, and white to the other. Mark the white wire with black tape.) Connect black from the supply (junction box) to black from the switch. Mark white from the switch with black tape, and connect it to black from the fixtures. Connect white from the fixtures to white from the supply. Connect all grounds together.

The room with the ceiling fan will be a little different. Run 12/3 from the ceiling fan to the switch. Connect black from the supply to black from the switch. Connect black from the fan to white from the switch, and mark it with black tape. Connect blue or black striped from the fan to red from the switch. Connect white from the fan to white from the supply. At the switch, connect black to "line" or "power", white to "fan" and red to "light". Mark the white with black tape. Connect all grounds together.

If this doesn't make sense, hire an electrician.
    Uber Member

Mar 18, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Mar 19, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Thank you very much for you prompt and exact reply! It did the trick perfectly. Thank you very much. And soon I will be taking down an old ceiling fan in the kitchen. Will email you when I do. Also if you have a habitat for humanity store in your area (we do here) you can buy used ones that work great for 3 to 8 dollars a piece.
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Our store doesn't carry ceiling fans. I used to volunteer there when they did.

Mar 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Hmm email me at [email protected] I will see what I can find for you at our store. I am in augusta, ga
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2008, 02:22 PM
    EMail sent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Celing fan pull switch [ 8 Answers ]

I have a stacked switch that will hold 8 wires there were 2 black 1 grey 1green and 1 purple. Some one replaced it and got it wired wrong the fan stayed on low and the switch would not effect it. I took and old single layer switch from another fan touched the black to each wire to find the speeds...

Hunter Ergonimic Ceiling Fan w/ Remote - Wiring to single switch [ 2 Answers ]

We just installed a Hunter Ergonomic Ceiling Fan with a remote. It is powered by a single light switch and our intention was to always have the light switch "on" and use the remote control to turn it off or on. When we turn the light switch on, the light comes on and all fan functions can be...

Ceiling fan remote to 3way switch [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a handheld fan remote to a 3 way switch? There are a million wire ac in, what does it all mean?

Celing Fan Light Switch - 2 Leads [ 1 Answers ]

How do I change the switch on my Hunter fan light? It's not an old unit, but the chain sticks and refuses to release when you pull on it. I bought a replacement switch from Hunter, without instructions. The old switch has two black wires going into the plastic and metal case, with no visible means...

3 wire celing fan switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have just bought a 3 wire celing fan switch and I can't figure out how to wire it. It is a 3 speed fan and it has what appears to be a transformer with blue and black wires going from the old switch to the transformer. One black wire is coming out of the transformer to the plug. The new switch...

View more questions Search