Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teghancat Posts: 24, Reputation: -1

Mar 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
    My hamster has a really weird bump!
    My dwarf hamster, Fizz, has this really odd bump on the left side of her bladder/lower stomach area. It is all pink and has almost no hair. It looks like it would really hurt, but Fizz is
    Showing no signs of pain and is behaving normally. I only have one hamster and I'm really worried. THE BUMP IS HUGE!! It almost takes up her whole stomach. HELP!!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 10:03 AM
    I don't mean to scare you in any way, but there's a chance that she has a kidney stone or a rectal blockage.

Is she eating normally and pooping normally?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Hamsters are prey animals and because of that they hide any pain they may be feeling really well so that they don't look vulnerable. Often you won't even know a hamster is sick until the day it dies. If you can afford it I would suggest taking her to the vet.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 10:14 AM
    It could also be a tumor. A trip to the vet is definitely called for.

Mar 17, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Taking a hamster to the vet costes like 300$!! My dad doesn't want to spend that much on my hamster. And yes! She is pooping normally, but I'm not exactly sure about eating normally, but she does eat.
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 11:18 AM
    How old is she?
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2008, 02:23 PM
    ... taking a hammie to the vet costs $300? I'd... definitely call up a vet nearby and ask to talk to a vet and explain your situation... I strongly doubt it'll cost $300.
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:06 PM
    I tend to agree Sneezy, but I do have to say that most vets don't consider the initial cost of the animal when charging for medical services.

My sons hamster had a huge tumor on his stomach, he was also 3 1/2 years old, I new it was time to put him to sleep. The vet informed me that it would cost $250.00 to euthanize my $8 hamster. Are you kidding me? I searched the internet and made a euthanizing chamber at home, it works for all animals that are under 3 pounds. It was painless and cost me around $20 in supplies.

I would like to know the age of the OP's hamster, especially because it isn't a syrian but a dwarf which generally live longer. If the hamster's old then it could be a tumor, especially because she's eating and pooing okay.

More info necessary in order to help. For example, does she have a mate, could she be pregnant?

Mar 17, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Well, I got her last February, so she is only like one year old... no she doesn't have a mate. I only have one hamster. And the bump is off to the side. I also doubt she would be pregnant for like 8 months.
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Are you saying that she's had this bump for 8 months? If that's the case, and she's eating, drinking and pooing all right, then I wouldn't worry, unless it starts to grow.

One thing about hamsters, when they get sick they usually die very quickly, within days, so if she's had this bump for some time I think she'll be okay.

I did some research on line about the type of bump you're describing, I couldn't find anything, I hope that she's okay, hamsters become very dear to our hearts, even though they're small. I'm glad that she has a kind caring owner like you.

I wish that I could have helped more, sorry that I couldn't find the answer. Good luck.

Mar 17, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Please help me out guys! It has almost no hair now and it is kind of deformed... im scared
    !
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Is there any way that you can post a picture of the bump? I think that would help all of us get a better understanding about what you're dealing with, and it might help us diagnose the problem. I'm not a vet, but I have had allot of experience with hamsters.

I know that you're worried, but there is very little you can do, just keep her comfortable, it might be nothing, it might be serious, I don't know.

Try posting the picture and I'll do more research for you.

Until then, try not to worry, I know it's hard, but worrying isn't going to help you or your fur baby.

Mar 17, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Umm, now it is going yellow on the top! Aaaaaaaaaaaah! She is still behaving normally.

Mar 17, 2008, 05:52 PM
    I can't get her to stay still to take a pic. Even if I managed to take one , it would probably be blurry and hard to see, as she wriggles so much...
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 05:56 PM
    Okay, I searched for a yellow pink bulge and this is what I found;

Are you confusing this with his scent gland? The Dwarf species-including Roborovski's, Campbells, winter whites, and Chinese have single glands, and are situated on the ventral mid line close to the umbilicus. As opposed to the Syrian hamsters glands located on both of the hips. In dwarf hamsters, the glands are quite protuberant (swelling outwards, bulging) and sometimes hairless, often showing a greasy to waxy yellow secretion. In all hamsters, the males more so, the scent glands tend to be more prominent. The scent glands' appearance can, and does cause concern for some people, thinking they are tumors.

I think we might have the answer. I hope this helps. If this is the cause of the bump then it's harmless and normal. The above post was from a vet tech, so I'm fairly sure of the accuracy. Take care.

Mar 17, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Wow, I think that might be it!! Thanks so much! I'll be sure to keep an eye on it. I'm still not sure..
    Pets Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
    I'm not 100% positive, but it sounds plausible. I don't know if hamsters scent glands can get clogged, that would cause it to become larger, I've only dealt with dogs and clogged scent glands (trust me, not fun). I'll do some more research for you, if this is it then it's normal, I've never owned Dwarfs, only syrians, so I don't have any experience with them.

I've got to go offline for a while, I'll write back when I have more info.

Mar 17, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Oh, I looked up pics of the scent gland, and it's tiny, this bump is huge, also, the gland is right in the center, the bump is off the lower left side.
    :confused:
    Stella YY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 02:48 PM
    My hamster has one too but it looks like her insides have come out or an infection because its a lump pertruding from her stomach with almost no hair.

Its an external lump, not one that you can feel over stomach

Can it be a tumour or cancer etc?
    Stella YY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2008, 02:49 PM
    I can take a photo of my hamster but how would I post it up on here?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Red bump-white bump in labia minora [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I've surfed through this site trying to find a solution, but haven't come across one, so I hope you can help me. Every few months I get a small pin-prick sized red raised dot on the outside of my right labia minora. It's mostly benign in feeling, but occasionally feels irritated. In...

Boils & Weird red bump on my scalp [ 51 Answers ]

Yesterday I noticed a painful red bump behind my knee. Then I noticed another one on my back this afternoon in school. And when I got home I was feeling my scalp and noticed a weird bump on my head. My dad looked at it and said it was weird and dark red. Is it something that I should worry about?

Weird recurring bump [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 and sexually active. I've been with my fiancé for 2 years and neither of us has cheated. I keep getting a weird flesh colored bump on the inside of my vaginal lips. It's never more than one bump at a time. They don't hurt unless I poke or squeeze them. I thought maybe it was a pimple or...

I have a weird bump. [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 bumps below the opening of the vagina... I poped one the other day and it blled I thought it went away but it didn't... I've never had sex with a guy.. could this be hpv? Or could it be from shaveing.. I just want it to go away ASAP!! :(

Worried about a weird bump [ 1 Answers ]

I have got this pimple like bump on my vigina where the hair is and I don't know what it is I'm still a virgin so should I see a doctor right away or wait to see if it gos away because its not that irritating

View more questions Search