Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpinghand Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2005, 05:39 AM
    Light switch pops
    On occasion, I will turn on a light switch and it will make a slight pop (not loud at all but you can hear it). It doesn't happen all the time, actually it doesn't happen all that often. What causes this? Just curious if this is normal or if its something to be concerned about. Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2005, 07:44 AM
    It may be arcing from accumulated dirt, etc. I think a new one is about a buck, and would take 5 minutes to change. Get rid of it.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2005, 09:36 PM
    Does the fuse blow? Did you open it up and look for arcing? Or check the wires to make sure they're clean and tight?

Otherwise do as labman says. Spend the buck and change!
    vvhirI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 05:54 PM
    I'm not an electrician, but I have the same problem (light switch pop noise) & can offer this:

New home, about 6 light switches were installed upside-down (when light was off, these light switches were in the "up" position). I took those light switches and made them right-side up to satisfy my OCD. I never noticed the problem before that, but maybe I wasn't paying attention. I think that's when the problem started as well.

The pop is heard most of the time when you operate light switch at normal speeds. When you operate it at high speed (quickly flick switch), pop isn't heard or is VERY faint. Also, popping noise DOES sound like an arc inside the switch and if switch is operated at slow speed, there is a fizzle or static sound, followed by a electrical burn smell.

When I turned these light switches right-side up, shoving the switch back into the wall may caused that bare wire to touch itself more than once or touch the backside of the switch. Going with that theory, I pulled switch out, eliminating any multiple contact points w/ bare wire and tested- still makes pop. I don't get it. Maybe the other switch that operates this light is also the same way? I pulled it out and tested- this one pops, too. I don't get it. Must be a bad light switch? If that's true- a half dozen brand new light switches are bad/crap.

I will say this- when flipping switch from up position to down position (to turn off), I only need to move switch about 3mm down for light to turn off. That's not very much. It could be that the inside of the light switch HAS deteriorated from the "ON" position being so close to the stopping point of the light switch's "up" position. That's a crappy designed light switch. The lights should turn on/off when the actual switch is at the 50% up/down position.

Does this make any sense? Feedback appreciated.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Most switches snap and make a slight noise, some louder than others. You can purchase "quiet switches" for an additional cost.
    vvhirI Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    Most switches snap and make a slight noise, some louder than others. You can purchase "quiet switches" for an additional cost.
    Are you suggesting that these are just cheap switches and that "fizzle & static sounds followed by a faint electrical burn smell" is normal with these?:eek:
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 09:50 PM
    No, only that the "snap" sound of the switch is normal. When you move the toggle it moves a spring loaded switching mechanism that snaps to the other position. It is done this way to prevent you from making or breaking the electrical connection slowly which is when arcing occurs. A "fizzle & static" sound would be the sound of arcing. That sound and an electrical burning odor (arcing would create heat) would indicate a defective switch. Wouldn't think you would get more than one of these at a time, but perhaps you did.

Noticing you use of "3mm" indicating that you may be in Europe or Great Britain and on a 240 volt system. The higher voltage would make arcing more likely and switch construction more critical. That may explain how you could get more than one faulty switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Light and switch issue [ 3 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace an existing light fixture. I have discovered four wires coming into the opening. When I connect the new light *** the old one was I only have power before the light and the new light comes on. No power to the rooms beyond the light. In addition, the new light is on...

Light switch problem [ 3 Answers ]

This site has been such a great help I though I would ask you a question about an electrical problem we are having. I have a home that is 2 years old and noticed from day one that we had some light switches that would arc slight when they were turned on. It turned out that the were wired using the...

Light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I have a foyer light which is on a three way switch, one is a 1000 watt dimer. The other day the light would not work while switching the dimmer. I went to the other switch and flipped it and it worked. It has worked properly prior to this episode and now works properly again from both positions. I...

Two-way light switch [ 2 Answers ]

I'm not sure how to fit an external light, taking it from a one-way switch & converting it into a Two-way, my kitchen light switch's are at either end of the room. So I went & brought a Two-way switch to fit in next to the back door of my kitchen. How do I transfer power to the extra switch that I...

Wiring a light switch [ 2 Answers ]

The light currently just has a pull cord and I want a simple wall switch instead. The power runs to the light from the other side of the room. Do I just need to run a wire from the switch to the light and tie it in or have the power come to the switch first and then to the light? How does it tie...

View more questions Search