Ask
    em1826 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 05:35 PM
    Watts for fans
    The average watts for bath and ceiling fans
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2006, 05:57 AM
    The proper method of choosing a fan is based on the amount of air that should be changed in an hour.

Once the proper size fan is chosen, then electrical calculations would then be considered.
    A popular brand of various fans is Nutone.

The following link is to their Fan Catalog, on page 44 begins the complete specs for bath fans.

http://www.nutone.com/PDF/catalogs/NuFans-10_05.pdf[/URL]

As you can see the amp draw varies as to the CFM, Cubic Feet per Minute, the rating of the amount of air the fan can move. This is the important value that needs to be calculated to size a fan for the room it will serve. Certain rooms, as suggested by The Home Ventilating Institute, need to have the air changes so many times per hour, which will produce a constant to calculate the CFM.

By using the information on Page 7, a sample bathroom with 8 ft high ceiling and is 10ft x 8ft floor space is calculated by:
    8x8x10 x .13= 83.2 minimum CFM recommended for this room.

You will find one 50 CFM drawing .75 amps,and another 50 CFM drawing .15 Amps. The reason that two 50 CFM fans draw different amps is due to other factors, one being Sones, a measurement of noise, or how quiet the fan will operate, and if the fan motor is energy efficient.

Other fans listed:
    70 CFM 1.2 amps
    80 CFM .75 amps
    90 CFM .5 amps
    100 CFM .22 amps
    110 CFM .85 amps
    And many others, several with the same CFM and different amp draw.

As you can see there is many fans, I suppose without counting and calculating, a 1 Amp draw is a good compromise for an average.

You ask for wattage, wattage is calculated by multiplying voltage x amps, 120 x 1= 120 watts.

I wonder how many people, knowing that they need a fan in a certain room, but want to spend the least amount of money, stick a 50 CFM fan that costs $20, instead of buying the proper size fan , say a 100 CFM that costs $80. They saved $60, and then, two years later they spend $200.00, CHEERFULLY, to paint/wallpaper the bathroom again, all because the original fan they got was too small. Oh by the way, notice they did not install the correct size fan during this remodel, and they will paint/wallpaper again in a couple of years, and then need to live with poor ventilation, paint peeling, mold growing, etc.

Contractors that build subdivisions ,5,10,50,200 homes are real good at using the wrong size fan. They can save huge amounts of money, and a few years later, the owners need to deal with the damage and inconvenience of the wrong fan.

I bet you did not expect this much information for your simple question. Since many people review these answers, I took this opportunity to help educate those who may benefit from this information.

I hope I have answered your question, if not please get back with your questions.
    em1826 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2006, 09:59 PM
    Thanks for all the information on fans, I was looking for watts on fans to calculate the light circuit amp draw for the bath and TV room ceiling fans and all lights that were being installed with this remodel. Going to resize bath fan now!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2006, 07:45 PM
    Most ceiling fans will be right around 1 amp or slightly less.. . Except for older models like the Hunter Original which is closer to 3 amps.

If the fan weighs less than 30lbs, it's going to be around an amp. If it weighs more, look on it for a label, it should state the amps.

For information on ceiling fan energy usage:

http://www.ceiling-fans-n-more.com/ceiling-fan-faq.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many watts can a 15 amp circuit support? [ 10 Answers ]

Recently had my 35 year old Federal Pacific service entrance replaced. As I was labelling the circuits, I found that the 15 amp furnace fan circuit also has a bunch of lights on it. If I add them all up plus the 12 amps for the fan (that's what's on the fan label and I assume it's the max load at...

Circuit watts [ 1 Answers ]

Can any one please tell me the difference between watts per luminaire and cuircut watts per luminaire

Tower Fans [ 2 Answers ]

I have looked and cannot find info on what the advantages of the fairly new tower fans are to a traditional circular blade fan. Can anyone explain. I have a fairly large living room that is open to the dining area and kitchen so its hard to cool. I'm limited because my wife doesn't like drafts...

How Many Watts Will A 10 Amp Power Point Support [ 3 Answers ]

Next month is my brothers 21st birthday & i have hired a hall in which the party will be held and my band will play,but i was told by A hall committee member that the power points are only 10 amp & i would like to know how many watts this will support... there are three of these power points on...

Max watts lighting on a 15 Amp breaker [ 1 Answers ]

I plan to add a new 15 Amp breaker for additional lighting in a basement - how many watts can be applied to each 15 Amp breaker

View more questions Search