Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Mar 9, 2008, 09:23 PM
    Basement drain trap rotted out, must replace?
    I had a sewer guy out to clean my floor drain. He said he couldn't do it because he hit clay and told me that the trap had rotted out and needed to be replaced. This will involve busting up concrete and moving a "assembled" shower off a cement base in order to get to the pipes. Someone please tell me what does it mean that the guy hit clay? Does that mean there is something wrong with the pipe?? I am very anxious for answers. Someone help fast.thanks. HelenAg
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 9, 2008, 09:52 PM
    It means that the trap is rusted away and his snake went through it into the ground.

Mar 10, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Thanks for your answer. I talked to the plumber this morning and he mentions that maybe the pipe is made of clay and has collapsed. I know my main line is clay and is going to have to be replaced very soon. What are the chances this guy reamed out my floor drain into the main and knocked a tile? Is that a possibility? Or is it just as you say, the trap gone bad?? I hate the notion of breaking up the floor or worse yet having to dig up the yard. Am I jumping to conclusions? HelenAg
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 10, 2008, 07:14 AM
    What are the chances this guy reamed out my floor drain into the main and knocked a tile? Is that a possibility?
    Any way you look at it the floor's going to hafta come up. I'm with Harold, I think the plumber broke through the trap or your cast iron floor drain. I don't believe his snake tore up yout main as all the driving force of the snake was at the bell of the trap and not the sewer main. Good luck, Tom

Mar 10, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Speedball1: Thanks. I've read many of your helpful posts to others. From what you wrote, am I to assume the possibility of a hole in the floor drain? The drain has hardly ever given us trouble by itself (when the main is bad, it will back up.) The washer and a/c drain through it as well as a stall shower. Which, by the way, has be taken down in order to reach the drain. I guess I just want to be prepared for the worst. If the guy hit clay, it means he hit the ground. Was it through the pipe? Was it through the trap? Is this something they won't know till they jackhammer up the floor. HelenAg (sorry so many questions)
    tremmor Posts: 13, Reputation: -2

Apr 22, 2011, 04:37 PM
    I didn't use a jack hammer. Afraid of cracking more concrete. Used a Hilti vibrating drill with 3/4 bit and made a tight perimeter for access. Then used a sledge hammer with a brother n law and broke it up.
    Just a thought. Might rend one. It's a bull job. Be ready.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my basement drain have a trap? [ 2 Answers ]

How can I verify that my basement drain has a trap? I live in a late 1960's home and I want to install a shower in the basement. There is what looks to be a 2.5 or 3 inch cast iron hub with a cap on it for a drain. It appears as though the basement was built with the intention of installing a...

How do I find the floor drain trap in the basement? [ 6 Answers ]

Guys, I'm new home owner and I have sewer odor in the basement when I turned on my air heater. I read that the floor drain trap should be fill up but I don't know how do I find floor drain trap in the basement so can any one help me? Thanks in advance Dave

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

Must remove concrete floor section to replace rotted rod iron drain pipe in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best way to remove concrete flooring section in a bathroom? We found a broken rotten rod iron drain pipe when tearing out walls for remodeling and unfortunately (blessing) found out the pipe was rotted. Plumber says to replace with PVC but we have to dig up/cut up the floor ourselves....

1930s basement floor drain w/out trap? [ 5 Answers ]

Have any of you ever seen a floor drain that doesn't have a trap in it? In our house half the basement is finished and the other half unfinished, both have floor drains in lowest part of the room. The one in the unfinished part always worked, albeit slowly, but recently stopped and when snaked...

View more questions Search