Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrbrenee12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 12:05 PM
    New collar and blue collar
    What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why a new collar workers would not want the same benefits and clout that blue workers were able to get by unionization? What might be some of the reasons a new collar worker would be hesitant to join a union? What do you feel are the future prospects of unions in the service industry?
    calvin Posts: 21, Reputation: 3

Mar 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lrbrenee12
    What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why a new collar workers would not want tthe same benefits and clout that blue workers were able to get by unionization? What might be some of the reasons why a new collar worker would be hesitant to join a union? What do you feel are the future prospects of unions in the service industry?
    This may to you, but Im sure it doesn't to many, seem like a dumb question but...

When you say service workers exactly which service are you referring to armed, public, etc... you won't receive many replies to this question without being a little more specific . I myself was going to answer but couldn't be certain from your question if my answer was relevant or not
    carolh Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2007, 01:06 PM
    What kinds of occupational complaints do service workers have? Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints? Is there any reason why a new collar workers would not want tthe same benefits and clout that blue workers were able to get by unionization? What might be some of the reasons why a new collar worker would be hesitant to join a union? What do you feel are the future prospects of unions in the service industry?
    I was wondering what is a "new collar"
    froggymean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2007, 10:28 PM
    I believe that a "new collar" worker is one that works in the service sector which is one that serves the customer such as a salesmen, teacher, loan officer, insurance agent, and people of this nature like how blue collar workers are laborers factory workers people of this nature.
    florence021071 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2007, 09:38 PM
    Can you answer these questions for me please it would really help me with my work
    concernworker Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
    What kind of occupational complaints do service workers have?

Nov 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Would unionization may be able to help resolve some of those complaints?

Is there any reason why a new collar worker would not want the same benefits and clout that blue collar workers were able to get by unionizing?

What might be some of the reasons a new collar worker would hesitant to join a union?

What do you feel are the future prospects of unions in the service industry?

Nov 23, 2007, 02:38 PM
    What might be some of the reasons a new collar worker would hesitant to join a union?

2 is there any reason why a new collar worker would not want the same benefits and clout that blue collars were able to get by unionizing?
    mrscrabby43302 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Its nice to know I'm not the only one struggling to find the answers to Professor's Yoak's questions.

Nov 26, 2007, 08:51 AM
    Comment on froggymean's post
    Well to analazy it you would want to think that they would want the same pay they both has the skill of dealing with people
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
    I would assume that there would be some kind of textbook, lectures and also notes being taken by the students from the textbook and lectures that would concern the questions above. By studying, you will usually find the answers.
    krandolph79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
    There are many things that new colar people complain about. To start with they complain about under staffing, long hours, being under paid, stressful work environment and office politics.

The only reasons that I can think of that would make a new collar worker not want to join a union is ignorance, fear of change and concern for union due payments.

I think and I hope that the future does mean that we will see more unions for the new collar workers because unions offer advocates for the worker in forms of arbitrators, mediators and bargaining zones to help resolve issues difficult work related issues... The worker does not have to confront the issues themself- they can turn to the union for help- that is what they are there for...

I hope that this helps you...
    tmemyselfi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2008, 02:12 PM
    A blue collar is a service worker
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2008, 01:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tmemyselfi
    a blue collar is a service worker
    How does this answer the questions asked by the original poster, please?
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2008, 11:33 PM
    Having been raised in a "company" family and marrying into a very strong "union" family, I can see both sides so clearly it is scary. LOL My father was clearly extremely dedicated to the company for which he worked, tried to save them money at every turn, worked long hours, not a lot of pay, the owner made lots of money but Daddy was so dedicated and appreciated his job so much and loved it. He tired from this same company, was well loved and did a superb job. That was a great reward for him, being respected for the job he did and how well he did it. He retired head of the department of Data Processing. He grew up in a time that jobs were scarce at times and paid very little. His goal was to provide for his family some security that he didn't have growing up. He did that.

My husband was a construction worker that had gone through an apprenticeship program, so was well trained in his field, later was certified in several areas. He was paid well when there were jobs, nothing when there were none. However, he too took great pride in his work and abilities and skills. He was greatly respected by co-workers. He had a Business Agent who found the jobs all over the area and gave him a work order to that job. His retirement plan is terrific, insurance is also wonderful. The negative to his jobs was mainly that he had to leave home quite often to work, find a place to stay, find places to have meals at a decent price as were were paying house payments here as well as a place for him during his job since we do not live in an area with much growth.

(The businesses in our area fight against unions but keep up with pay scales and insurance and do take care of their people so as long as they do that, no need for the union. There are some businesses here that are union but don't seem to provide what they are purposed to do for their people.)

Both my dad and my husband were respected, both loved their jobs, both excelled at their jobs. The difference was that my husband had people fighting for his wages to be solid, his benefits to be solid, retirement to be solid, while he worked on the jobs building Nuclear Power Plants, Fertilizer Plants, Energy Plants (Electric, Gas, etc.), if there were problems, there were job stewards that were on the job to stand for him if an employer was trying not to treat the workers right or with respect.

There are good strong unions and there are unions that take dues and misuse the money, do not protect their workers and are not worth being a part of. That is one draw back I see in our town that some of the unions have become so weak that one would be better off without them but those that are good and strong, so necessary. There are companies who respect their employees, treat them right and fair and there are companies that treat their people like they are scum of the earth and holler at them, make unnecessary demands on them. They have no advocate. If one belongs to a good strong union, they do have a strong advocate that goes to the site and makes sure the workers are safe and treated properly. If in a good union, the safety standards are much higher on jobs than a weak union or a company that is only interested in making money for the owners.

Today, there are so many "temp" workers that there is very little job security. The "temps" are great workers, willing workers, but generally no insurance is provided. They work a certain length of time and then the company can choose to hire them full time or not. If not, that temp changes jobs and the company just hires another temp so they do not have to pay insurance or benefits on that employee.

Movies from past years have made unions out to look like murderers and tough guys. If one does not educate ones self on Unions, this picture is all they have to go on and would choose not to join a union perhaps out of fear.

The main purpose of the unions in the beginning was to protect the workers, get wages at a decent level and provide benefits. When the unions became strong, the companies that were not Unionized, brought their wages up to standard and benefits also to dissuade their employees from organizing a union so to speak. The unions were a great balancer of companies. The unions are getting weaker because of our economy and are giving up lots of benefits they have had previously. If the unions keep going down in strength, the companies will once again begin mistreating their employees with lower pay, less benefits because the "balancer" will be gone. (I am not including all companies. There are many that are absolutely wonderful to their employees. I am speaking in a general term so please do not misunderstand. My dad was treated very well, just worked long hours, salaried so gave tons of hours to the company for free but that is what he chose to do.)

I realize I probably have not addressed your question exactly concerning unions but maybe something I have shared in this epic will shed some light as to why some would prefer to join a Union.

Both my dad and my husband are completely content with each of their choices but for different reasons.

I am not clear on what "new collar" means so I apologize if this was just a wash out for your question. I mean well though, does that count?? :)
    Best to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help!dog Slipping Out Of Collar! [ 13 Answers ]

My pomeranian/yorkshire terrier dog - Baby (whom I rescued, as she was beaten & kept in a cage all of her life!) sometimes & somehow, slips out of the collar, & it is very frightening for me, (because 4 yrs.later, I still "work" with her 24hrs.a day, & there is a chance that at that moment she may...

New collar and blue collar workers [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any reason why a "new collar" workers would not want the same benefits and clouts that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing?

"new collar" vs. "blue collar" [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any reason why a "new collar" worker would not want the same benefits and clout that "blue collar" workers were able to get by unionizing? What might be some of the reasons a "new collar" worker would be hesitant to join a union?

Choke Chain/Slip Collar - Yes or No? [ 2 Answers ]

I know one should NEVER use a metal choke chain when training a dachshund because of their vulnerable neck bones, but what about using a slip collar? Also, what about either of these with other breeds? Are they necessary? Thanks, Becky Escondido

Dog collar [ 1 Answers ]

What is the coneicalcollar that is put around a dogs neck?

View more questions Search