Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mzchitwnsa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Can IRS keep tax refund for Child Support?
    How much of a person's income tax refund, if any at all, can the IRS keep for child support offset? I heard that it was recently changed and they can only keep a percentage, but I am not sure that is right.:confused:
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:24 PM
    If it is to be used to pay back child support, I think they can retain the complete refund and give it to the parent, or guardian for the support of the child. Which if child support is paid as ordered, people would not have to ask this question, over and over and over again.
    youcantstop48 Posts: 152, Reputation: 16

Mar 6, 2008, 09:26 PM
    Yes they can take the whole thing, unless it pays over what the person is behind then you will get what is left!!
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by youcantstop48
    Yes they can take the whole thing, unless it pays over what the person is behind then you will get what is left!!!
    As it should be.
    youcantstop48 Posts: 152, Reputation: 16

Mar 6, 2008, 09:42 PM
    Right, they did this to my uncle when my youngest cousins were in there twenties they were still taking his taxes!!
    mzchitwnsa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2008, 10:28 PM
    Well, I only asked because this is a touchy subject for me. My son's father doesn't get all of his income tax refund revoked, so I don't get all that is owed to me. However, my fiancé gets all of his refund garnished for the same reason. I do believe the same thing, if you owe, you should pay, there is a lot of child support owed to me and I just patiently wait.

But thank you for your answers. I do agree with some of you.
    Mobea Posts: 220, Reputation: 15

Mar 6, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Do you keep going back to court to have the child support taken out of his paycheck? Check with the workforce commission to see where he's working at if he keeps changing jobs. Sometimes you just have to hang in there like a pit bull. Your ex husband may have a wife who files an innocent or injured spouse form (can't remember which it is tonight, it's late) so she may be able to get her part of the refund back and that's why you only get a portion of the refund. But keep going to court over this child support. I had an ex husband who had a child with a woman and she had him in court almost every month.
    petrieparrott Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 01:11 PM
    My x daughter in law owes tens of thousands in support and this is the first year that they are taking her refund. Don't know when she will ever get it though since the state says they have to wait for the IRS to say they can release it. She has had two more kids that she wants their dads to pay their support but she doesn't want to pay hers. The courts are so imbalanced when it comes to dead beat moms to dead beat dads. They should all be treated the same. It took a complaint to the State to even get this first tax check if we see it at all. She filed single so why the wait?? WHY DO THEY LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT ANYWAY? They say if they put them in jail then they cannot pay... HELLO.. they are not paying anyway so why not let them be behind the real bars they put their children behind the invisible ones when they don't even help put food in their little bellies.As for them saying that when the deadbeat gets 500 behind it automatically gets taken is a crock. YES BE A PIT BULL AND STAND UP FOR ALL US TAX PAYERS WHO ARE HELPING TO RAISE THESE LITTLE ONES FOR THE IDIOTS WHO DON'T CARE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support tax refund garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

If I am owed back support, and they have taken the other parent's tax refund, how long will it take for me to get it?

To refund the child support overpayment [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter Laura (03/04/1989) now is 19 years old. Despite I knew that she is NOT full time student and working, I sent child support, trying to contact her mother. They do not accept my letters, now I would like to get back Laura's portion of Child support. My oldest child Michell (04/15/1987) is...

IRS Refund [ 1 Answers ]

Can your federal income tax refund be with held due to a credit card judgement against you?

Refund in case gave more tax to IRS due to ITIN NON Availibility [ 1 Answers ]

Only 15 days to go before due date for filing taxes expire. I need to apply for ITIN No for my spouse and kid. This can take 4-8 weeks. Can I submit a cheque with the amount due to IRS along with W7(ITIN) application (will IRS get back to me automatically with the refund) or do I need to pay my tax...

Child Support & Tax Deductions [ 7 Answers ]

A friend is divorcing and paying child support; working two jobs to get this done. Wife is custodial parent in joint custody with husband and works occasionally while living with another man. She is claiming the two kids on her IRS statement and my friend, who has the burden of cost plus the income...

View more questions Search