Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtjmichael Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
    How do I get my husband to move out.
    I've been married 20 years. We have 3 children, 15, 14, & 8. I was going to leave him 8 years ago, figure the math... but I LOVE my little guy!

My husband lost his job 4 years ago and we agreed it was better for him to stay home w/our littlest... I had a very good paying job.

I lost my job last January and I have not been able to find work 1 year later. I tried to prepare as I knew my job was ending despite my longevity of 20 years w/co. so I curbed spending and PAID OFF DEBT for the past two years. Now we are DEBT FREE, house is paid off, no car loans.. however MY HUSBAND WILL NOT FIND A JOB!! I have taken menial jobs and we're spending every dollar I had saved... we may have to dip in to 401K... I am back in school trying to finish my undergrad. Degree hoping that it will give me a boost in finding another job... I should be done in Dec w JUST AN AA! But I'm determined to do it..

I went to a lawyer to explain the situation that my husband REFUSES to look for work. He is still in Mr. Mom mode despite my being home and BEGGING, PLEADING showing him the finances and how we'll be living on credit soon! And still he refuses to look.. my kids know what's going on since I would get very upset.. I ALWAYS worked and for some reason, a job is not coming to me despite my efforts...

I loved my husband and still do however this is too much on me.. he doesn't drive so can't take the kids to their "appointments".. he does cook and laundry (cleaning & fixing up the house are MINIMAL.. )..

Anyway, the lawyer.. I went thinking I could serve him and maybe IGNITE some urgency and the lawyer explained that in NY there are four reasons for a divorce (unless mutually agreed which my husband REFUSES despite my many many requests.. ) they are:
    Abandonment - which I won't do since I paid for the home, Adultery (He's a recluse so never leaves), No sex for a year (since he's moved downstairs two years ago and stays in the guest room, we're moving up on time almost 3 months.. ) or mental abuse (he's mentally abusing me but I can't prove it and I get so frustrated w/his lack of looking for work I was abusive to him which I have now stopped (spiritual help, etc. so that I don't lose everything)..

Here's the thing he's a NICE guy, everyone likes him its JUST THIS PROBLEM and he doesn't go on vacations w/us,s topped that a few years ago.. rarely goes to kids activities, I BEG him to go..

I want to MOVE on.. and I'm trying in spite of his behaviors but I also want a companion who is interested in doing things and NOT watching the B. HIll billys every night!

HOW CAN I GET AROUND THIS?? (Oh, yes after my family's insistence, I did take away the credit cards and access to money.. (not sure how he's paying for his weekly beer delivery though.).

PLEASE if anyone has a solution to how I can get him to MOVE ON.. either a job or OUT, please please please share... Its very difficult..
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 05:57 PM
    How I can get him to MOVE ON.. either a job or OUT---ultimatum

My way or the highway

BUT remember the grass isn't always greener

IN fact all I ever find are dead weeds!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Obviously, he thinks being a stay at home dad, is more important than helping you pay bills. Since everything is paid for, then you need a budget adjustment, to live within your means. What you have described is what men have been dealing with for a long time, and I think unless you leave, he ain't going nowhere, and why should he?

Mar 1, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Interesting, yes, that's exactly what the lawyer said to me! I worked so hard to avoid not being dependent and now when I need it I'm where I always feared I would be where most people are today in this economy...

I really don't want to postpone my degree.. after this semester I'm only 15 credits away from my goal! But it may have to be for awhile until my family is stable...

Thank you for your answer.

MM
    Rooney143 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2008, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gtjmichael
    I've been married 20 years. We have 3 children, 15, 14, & 8. I was going to leave him 8 years ago, figure the math...but I LOVE my little guy!!

My husband lost his job 4 years ago and we agreed it was better for him to stay home w/our littlest...I had a very good paying job.

I lost my job last January and i have not been able to find work 1 year later. I tried to prepare as I knew my job was ending despite my longevity of 20 years w/co. so I curbed spending and PAID OFF DEBT for the past two years. Now we are DEBT FREE, house is paid off, no car loans..however MY HUSBAND WILL NOT FIND A JOB!!! I have taken menial jobs and we're spending every dollar I had saved...we may have to dip in to 401K...I am back in school trying to finish my undergrad. degree hoping that it will give me a boost in finding another job...I should be done in Dec w JUST AN AA! but I'm determined to do it..

I went to a lawyer to explain the situation that my husband REFUSES to look for work. He is still in Mr. Mom mode despite my being home and BEGGING, PLEADING showing him the finances and how we'll be living on credit soon! And still he refuses to look..my kids know what's going on since I would get very upset..I ALWAYS worked and for some reason, a job is not coming to me despite my efforts...

I loved my husband and still do however this is too much on me..he doesn't drive so can't take the kids to their "appointments".. he does cook and laundry (cleaning & fixing up the house are MINIMAL..)..

Anyway, the lawyer..I went thinking I could serve him and maybe IGNITE some urgency and the lawyer explained that in NY there are four reasons for a divorce (unless mutually agreed which my husband REFUSES despite my many many requests..) they are:
    Abandonment - which I won't do since I paid for the home, Adultery (He's a recluse so never leaves), No sex for a year (since he's moved downstairs two years ago and stays in the guest room, we're moving up on time almost 3 months..) or mental abuse (he's mentally abusing me but I can't prove it and I get so frustrated w/his lack of looking for work I was abusive to him which I have now stopped (spiritual help, etc. so that I don't lose everything)..

Here's the thing he's a NICE guy, everyone likes him its JUST THIS PROBLEM and he doesn't go on vacations w/us,s topped that a few years ago..rarely goes to kids activities, I BEG him to go..

I want to MOVE on..and I'm trying in spite of his behaviors but I also want a companion who is interested in doing things and NOT watching the B. HIll billys everynight!

HOW CAN I GET AROUND THIS??? (Oh, yes after my family's insistence, I did take away the credit cards and access to money..(not sure how he's paying for his weekly beer delivery though.).

PLEASE if anyone has a solution to how I can get him to MOVE ON..either a job or OUT, please please please share...Its very difficult..
    I feel for you. I'm in a similar situation and I want out. I'm stuck though. He works and I can't find a job. Four kids and he's very abusive. I have no money and nowhere to go. I'm so sorry that we have to go through so much to have a little happiness.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 11:55 AM
    If kids nowadays only realized this is where it ends up when they HAVE to have the abusive guy with red flags.

I wrote this and I think it sums it up pretty much

Why she stays (the progression)

She stays because he is so loving when he wants to be

She stays as she blocks out the memories of his rages hoping someday he will be who he once was

She stays as she goes about her daily routine trying to maintain some level and sense of a normal façade

She stays because she was taught 'for better or for worse' even if it means enduring the abuse

She stays hoping the next dark moment won't happen for sometime long from now as she tries to hold her family together on her own

She stays because he has beaten her independence, individuality and self esteem down to non existent

She stays because he controls her mind, her freedom, her life, the money, the car

She stays because he has convinced her she deserves the beatings; that she only needs to try harder to please him

She stays because she holds on to the blame as hers and hers alone

She stays because she is isolated and he is all she has left

She stays because she fears the unfamilar more than what she has learned for survival

She stays because she doesn't want to drag her kids down an endless trail of uncertainty

She stays because it seems easier dealing with the pain than to leave with a sense of shame

She stays because to leave and start all over doesn't seem like a viable option

She knows if she kicks him out he is psychotic enough to ignore the PFA the present threats are scary enough, but she has learned to cope and keeps false hope she stays because she fears of losing all she has struggled for

These are not her excuses; this is her reality

I realize not all these steps are applicable to all BUT..
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 12:59 PM
    gtjmichael writes: "the lawyer..I went thinking I could serve him and maybe IGNITE some urgency and the lawyer explained that in NY there are four reasons for a divorce (unless mutually agreed which my husband REFUSES despite my many many requests..)"
    Surely, in a big, progressive state like NY there are other grounds for divorce; what about the 'no fault' or irretrievably broken' ground?
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Surely, in a big, progressive state like NY there are other grounds for divorce; what about the 'no fault' or irretrievably broken' ground?
    I think no fault is both parties agreeing
    Irretrievably broken I think she has to have some issues that follow the irretrievably broken guidelines.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I think no fault is both parties agreeing
    irretrievably broken I think she has to have some issues that follow the irretrievably broken guidelines.
    No, couldn't be, not in a big, progressive, Hillary state. Irretrivably broken means one party, only, saying there's no hope for reconciliation. She - Hillary - would never have consented to be a big-shot, U.S. senator in a state where a woman had to have her husband's consent to obtaining a divorce in a court of law. That would be like going back in time before the pill and pant suits. I'm going to try to get JudyKaytee on this.

Mar 2, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Unfortunately, NY State law states the four reasons I described. Abandonment, abuse, no sex for a year (which HOW are you supposed to prove that?. ) adultry...

No irr. Differences... UNLESS he mutually agrees, which he won't, why should he? He knows I'll do whatever I have to do for my kids... I agree that its antiquated and for me EXTREMELY frustrating to sit in a lawyers office and explain that my husband REFUSES to look for work and I HAVE NO RECOURSE. The lawyer suggested we move out of state, get the divorce and then come back since NY Law would rule in my keeping most of my 401 K...

PLEASE, PLEASE let me know if there are ANY loopholes that I could explore aside from packing up my kids and leaving him in a house that he can't pay the electric on.

Thank you!
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 03:43 PM
    No, couldn't be, not in a big, progressive, Hillary state. That would be like going back in time before the pill and pant suits.
    hmmm Hillary=the pill in the pantsuit? :D
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
    If he doesn't drive, then how can he realistically find a job? Aside from that, have you considered the possibility that he's suffering from depression and may need treatment? His disinterest in most things suggests that's a possibility.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 07:44 AM
    gtjmichael writes: "the lawyer..I went thinking I could serve him and maybe IGNITE some urgency and the lawyer explained that in NY there are four reasons for a divorce (unless mutually agreed which my husband REFUSES despite my many many requests..)"

Well, "we're" not all that progressive - NYS just recently stopped stoning adulterers .

The grounds are cruel and inhuman (which is the #1 category, covers a multitude of problems), abandonment, imprisonment, living under the terms of a written and filed separation agreement for 1 year, adultery. The Judiciary has been attempting to get irreconciable differences in there for a very long time, has come close, so far no change. People still file on grounds of adultery but the Court very often changes it to cruel and inhuman. It's a common misconception that the at-fault party somehow has to pay more in spousal support because they caused the split but that's not true.

The "no sex, no job" thinking is part of the cruel and inhuman category - cruel and inhuman takes many forms.

The irreconciable differences category is often confused because it CAN be part of the wording in the SEPARATION AGREEMENT - "due to certain irreconciable differences between the parties they can no longer reside as husband and wife" - but that Separation Agreement becomes the grounds for divorce, not the "irreconciable differences" part.
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 11:36 AM
    I disagree with everyone about a divorce, as men have faced providing for a family, where the wife doesn't work for decades, and have not sought divorce on those grounds. No sex is an indication something else is wrong, in another area, and seeing how they have both been through a trauma with their jobs, time and adjustments, have to be made. Cianci is right, the husband may need some help, and shouldn't that be part of the equation, to get to the root of the problem? Sorry gtj, you have to many options, to think divorce is your answer, at this time unless there are other factors to consider. But it is your choice if school is your priority. Where would we be, if we all divorced our stay at home mate, for no sex, and no hot meal??
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I disagree with everyone about a divorce, as men have faced providing for a family, where the wife doesn't work for decades, and have not sought divorce on those grounds. No sex is an indication something else is wrong, in another area, and seeing how they have both been thru a trauma with their jobs, time and adjustments, have to be made. Cianci is right, the husband may need some help, and shouldn't that be part of the equation, to get to the root of the problem? Sorry gtj, you have to many options, to think divorce is your answer, at this time unless there are other factors to consider. But it is your choice if school is your priority. Where would we be, if we all divorced our stay at home mate, for no sex, and no hot meal???

I didn't push her to get a divorce - I answered her legal question to the best of my ability. In fact, I'm one of the anti-divorce people on the thread. And, yes, I was divorced and single for a number of years before I met my husband so I've been there.

If she had asked me for personal advice - I find her statement that she did love him and does love him (or words to that effect) to define the situation. Is this the only way the OP sees to push her husband into getting some help, talking to someone - maybe. She won't be the first or the last to resort to the divorce threat - and sometimes, if the other party is truly depressed or for whatever reason unable to get off dead center, the threat becomes a reality and everyone regrets it later.

It's a big World out there, not easy with 3 kids (I believe there are 3). I think it's pretty amazing to love someone who loves you back - and the OP may never, ever find that again.

I agree - get both of them into counselling but if she has tried and he won't go, well, you can't make someone quit smoking, love you... or go to counselling. No wonder there's no sex - I think they are both angry with each other.

I think the OP is emotionally exhausted, carrying the entire marriage on her back, worried, somewhat confused, looking for a solution. I don't think she wants to end the marriage; I think she wants her husband to shape up.

I also think there's a big difference between one party staying home and the other party working; this is different - she has asked him to find a job and help her financially and he has refused to do so.

Don't expect anyone to agree with me but that's how I see it. Too bad the OP didn't ask me for other than my legal thoughts on the subject.
    Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 12:53 PM
    I understand, but this isn't the first time I have jumped in with my big mouth, and it wasn't personal to others opinion. Sorry folks.
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    I understand, but this isn't the first time I have jumped in with my big mouth, and it wasn't personal to others opinion. Sorry folks.

I didn't have a problem and I'm never sure where the "legal advice" ends and the "personal advice" begins - and the differences are what makes things interesting.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2008, 10:45 PM
    What does he do while you are getting your degree, looking for work and driving the kids to their appointments? Take it away. No more TV, just have it carted off to another place. Lock him out of the computer. Box up and take away all books and magazines. When you find beer in the fridge, take it away. He knows what you want, so you need not say a word. You drive, he is at your mercy. Turn off the heat when you leave the house and take the thermostat with you if the kids are away. He does not earn his comforts, he hides behind your firm control of the situation. Get firmer. He is a recluse, invite people over and have them interrupt his ruminating. He needs 'encouragement' to get off his butt, give him plenty. Well, that's what I would do.
    kraz Posts: 57, Reputation: 6

Mar 4, 2008, 04:24 AM
    I agree with s_cianci have you thought of the possibility that your husband is suffering from depression. His not wanting to join in as a family member, not looking for a job, not caring about the house, drinking and watching TV sounds like his escape mechanism. Can you get him to talk to his doctor about his state of mind, 4 years is a long time to go without wanting to be involved in the outside world.

What ever you do, please don't give up on your degree, stick at it, you need something to keep your mind focused on something other than your families current situation, there will be light at the end of the tunnel (Dec, is only 10 months away), and a new beginning.
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie
    What does he do while you are getting your degree, looking for work and driving the kids to their appointments? Take it away. No more TV, just have it carted off to another place. Lock him out of the computer. Box up and take away all books and magazines. When you find beer in the fridge, take it away. He knows what you want, so you need not say a word. You drive, he is at your mercy. Turn off the heat when you leave the house and take the thermostat with you if the kids are away. He does not earn his comforts, he hides behind your firm control of the situation. Get firmer. He is a recluse, invite people over and have them interrupt his ruminating. He needs 'encouragement' to get off his butt, give him plenty. Well, that's what i would do.

Well, if the OP wants a divorce and is going to take this advice she is absolutely and positively handing her husband grounds for that divorce and possibly risking losing custody of her children if he decides to fight for them - I believe this behavior could be considered bizarre and possibly dangerous (the Court could question what happens when she gets angry with the children) - wait for either one of them to testify that she turns down the heat and takes the thermostat with her when she leaves the house.

This is a marriage, a partnership (in theory) - I don't see how any of this will help the situation and it could only make it worse. I don't think the OP wants to "teach" another child - she wants her husband back. If the husband already feels useless this could be devastating.

It makes me sad to think that a party to a fairly long marriage who I think obviously has some problems here would be treated in this fashion. I would hope no matter what would happen that my husband would show more kindness toward me.

I have seen so many divorces where this type of behavior sets the tone for the rest of people's lives. Whatever happened to saying, "This is what I need, want, expect from you and if you can't be what I need, want, expect, then we have to part"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I move on? [ 6 Answers ]

OK so first of all I love this site and all the great advice so here is one more question ************************************************************************* OK so my ex!! When we broke up we were like way close!! We were both emotionally and physically attached I mean I no this was not...

Getting my daughter, her husband and their son to move out [ 3 Answers ]

Please could someone give me advice as my daughter and son inlaw keep changing their moving out date. I would like to move permanently back into my family home which me and my husband own, which my daughter and son inlaw live in with their son. We have no written contract for them living there...

First move [ 6 Answers ]

I like this girl! I want to be her BF! :D What is the best "first move" that I should make? Girls, If it was with you, what does conquer your hearts? Thanks for the help

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search