Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cssulliv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Power Outage
    The upstairs of my house consists of two rooms that are powered by two 20 amp breakers which are tied together. A few days ago one of the rooms lost all power while the other room continues to work fine. The power is still out and I have reset the breaker several times and this doesn't work. Could one of the 20 amp breakers be bad? Or, does it sound like there might be another problem. Would turning off the main breaker help? Thanks in advance!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 02:52 PM
    If those 2 breakers are for 120 volts, remove the tie, unless you have some special system needing connection to both disconnected at the same time. It is possible to turn only half of a 2 pole breaker, turn all the way off, then both sides all the way on.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 08:17 PM
    If the wires connected to the two breakers (black and red) go to a 3-wire cable, you have two circuits sharing a common neutral (white). The reason the handles or the breakers are tied together is to insure that both circuits are off should you be working in the box where these two circuits split off. If the breaker did not trip off or does not trip when reset, chances are that you have an open connection in the circuit that does not work.

Turn off both breakers. Remove one of the outlets that does not work from its box. If the outlet is wired by inserting wires into the little holes in the back, chances are that is you problem. This type of wiring is known to develop bad connections over time. Remove the wires from the back and put under the screws on the side. If rewiring all the outlets does not fix the problem, check the switches, this type of wiring can be used at a switch to pass a hot wire connection through the box. Still no fix, check the working outlets. Sometimes the bad connection can be in the outgoing wire. The outlet works, but the current is not passed to the next outlet. Check hots and neutrals. An open neutral will also cause failure.
    What the heck, you might as well rewire all of your outlets and be done with it, if you don't it will happen again in a year or two.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 10:11 PM
    HEROLD - I agree fully, nice answer ::: F.B.E.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 06:47 AM
    HK is correct, it used to be tied if it was 2 circuits were on one duplex receptacle with tab broke. Haven't seen in practice though.
    HK tried to give a green, wouldn't allow. Still I Agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partial power outage [ 1 Answers ]

Last night before bed I thought I was turning off the surge protector to my TV/DVD/HD Cable Box (which was humming and running warm since I got it 2 weeks ago). When I hit the button - the displays went off and I thought all was well and went to bed. This morning when I got up and went to turn on...

AC after power outage [ 2 Answers ]

After coming back from a family trip, we found that there had been a power outage. Several breakers were off position and some electronics (especially telephone) are completely dead. Now, after resetting the breakers, all the power problems are OK except AC. The control panel of AC seems...

Power outage Generators [ 7 Answers ]

Got my house pretty well up ;and running, with your help.. Today was informed, Electricity will soon be cut to 4 hrs a day.. so back up generator may be the answer.. Question is, how to tell what size genarator should I get.. Got a 150 Amp Svc, Elect stove, Washer, dryer, water htr, AC about 4...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Worker's Safety during a power outage [ 4 Answers ]

How long can an employer in CA keep workers at a site, restaurant, during a power outage? Specifically, this power outage happens in the evening and no lights are on, no fire alarm is working and the emergency lights are the only illumination.

View more questions Search