Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nchiaro Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Can my ex-husband's wife access my med records?
    Hello, I just recently found out, which I had suspected all along, that my ex-husband's new wife was accessing my medical records. She had access to these records because she works at the hospital that I was a patient at. She is an oncology nurse and has no reason to be accessing my records but for her own personal gain. Is she exempt from the Hippa Law because she works there?

Thanks for your response
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2008, 11:29 AM
    Can you prove that she accessed them? What is she profiting from learning your health history?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2008, 11:32 AM
    No, she has no right to access your records unless she is providing care for you. If you can prove she is doing it, that is a HIPAA violation and she would be fired.

Feb 27, 2008, 11:32 AM
    Yes, my ex-husband just admitted to me that he thought I was "mentally" unable to care for my daughter and she gave him information about which doctors I was seeing at the hospital

Feb 27, 2008, 11:34 AM
    If the system is computerized, would it show her "logged in" to my file?

Feb 27, 2008, 11:35 AM
    That's not proof. He may have gotten that info from other sources. I would however, talk to the hospital administrator. While its not proof it is circumstantial. They may investigate or set a trap.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 12:41 PM
    I think bringing it to the attention of an administrator, is a good idea.
    jp242 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Feb 27, 2008, 12:46 PM
    I don't think I would so much worry about this being a HIPAA issue as an invasion of privacy and illegal access to your medical files by unauthorized personnel. Most likely the hospital has its own policies regarding personnel looking at medical files unrelated to a patient they are treating. I would contact a hospital administrator immediately and lodge a complaint. Also, I would talk to your attorney if you and your ex-husband are having issues regarding custody. Your attorney needs to know of this so s/he is not surprised with any possible information this woman has gathered.

As for if they would have a record of her viewing your record in the computer, I think that depends on what kind of records database it is. I know one of the ones we use for our discovery work has no kind of trail as to who has accessed it, but it has a trail when the person actually makes changes.

Feb 27, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jp242
    I don't think I would so much worry about this being a HIPAA issue as an invasion of privacy and illegal access to your medical files by unauthorized personnel. Most likely the hospital has its own policies regarding personnel looking at medical files unrelated to a patient they are treating. I would contact a hospital administrator immediately and lodge a complaint. Also, I would talk to your attorney if you and your ex-husband are having issues regarding custody. Your attorney needs to know of this so s/he is not surprised with any possible information this woman has gathered.

As for if they would have a record of her viewing your record in the computer, I think that depends on what kind of records database it is. I know one of the ones we use for our discovery work has no kind of trail as to who has accessed it, but it has a trail when the person actually makes changes.

Thanks for all your feed back. As of today, she is now harassing me through the mail so Im just going to file a police report and contact the administrator.

Thanks again to everyone

Feb 27, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Interference by Ex-husband's wife-Legal recourse? [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone advise if there's any legal course of action I can take against my ex-husband's wife. She consistently interferes in all matters. One example that recently happened is that she took the phone from my ex-husband and told me she was recording the conversation and hung up on me. Another...

How to Get Access to my Genealogical Records [ 4 Answers ]

When Family Treemaker was fairly new, I bought one, installed it and proceeded to post my family info on its site. I continued to add to it as I learned new information. Now, it has Become a part of ancestry.com. I was a member of ancestry.com for about 3 years in a row and they just got too...

Med Red Hair to Med Golden Brown [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, What is the best way to get Med. Golden Brown hair if my hair is Red without the color coming out color coming out orange? Would it be necessary to strip the red out first? Thank you

Access to parole records [ 3 Answers ]

Who has access to parole records? What exactly is in the records? And how do I get them?

My husband's son and ex-wife [ 4 Answers ]

My husband is ill. We don't have many properties or money, all we have is our home, it is not a mansion, but it is worth a significant amount of money. My husband's son and his ex-wife are the most money hungry, self centered people I ever met (and I am not exagerating) they have tried several...

View more questions Search