Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wiktor222 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Cat-5 wiring to a phone Jack which color scheme to use?
    Hello I need to place an extra phone jack for the computer. I want to use Cat-5 since I cannot get a hold of any Cat-3. I don't know which colors to use blue/w just blue both to do the connection from the main old time connection box in the basement to the phone jack. Any advice in how to choose the colors and if I should go with just the standard phone wiring? I will not get a second line in the future and trying to get better speed. I also heards of if I had Cat-3 to connect Red & Yellow to Red & Black & Green to Green for better speed. Will this speed things up since it is doubled? What to do?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 12:22 PM
    White/blue to green line 1 +
    Blue/white to red line 1 -
    White/orange to black line 2 +
    And Orange/white to yellow. Line 2 -
    I wouldn't double it, it would cancel the twisted pair, and would be 2 parallel conductors.

Feb 24, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    White/blue to green line 1 +
    Blue/white to red line 1 -
    White/orange to black line 2 +
    and Orange/white to yellow. line 2 -
    I wouldn't double it, it would cancel the twisted pair, and would be 2 parallel conductors.
    I found som extra phone line cable I have. Here is the color scheme Blue, Blue/White, Green, Green/White, Orange & Orange/White. It also has a ground wire. How would I use this color scheme to the exsisting lay out you did above?
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Your jack has red and green(line 1, line 2 is yellow and black. If it is solid blue, then it is considered the blue/white.
    So Blue will go to red, and orange will go to yellow, still white/blue will go to green on jack, and white/orange to black.
    The green pair is pair 3, and brown is the 4th pair. I use the brown pair from "D Mark" for DSL after whole whouse splitter.

Feb 24, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando
    Your jack has red and green(line 1, line 2 is yellow and black. If it is solid blue, then it is considered the blue/white.
    So Blue will go to red, and orange will go to yellow, still white/blue will go to green on jack, and white/orange to black.
    The green pair is pair 3, and brown is the 4th pair. I use the brown pair from "D Mark" for DSL after whole whouse splitter.

OK thanks I will take the literal form of this statement: "So Blue will go to red, and orange will go to yellow, still white/blue will go to green on jack, and white/orange to black." And wire it that way. If somehting is literally solid blue than it should be called blue not blue/white (the opposite) That's dumb!

I have two jacks upsatirs in the bedroom that do not give out dial tones. I found in the basement that there are wires that are spliced together but not properly. Can I do a 3 way splice there and will all three connections work or will they have problems? If not I may have to rewire one and do a daisy chain connection.
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 05:39 PM
    On Very large bundles of wires, the 2 color pair continues. Like this.
    There is a Primary color, and secondary color. Take a look here and you will see why they might be called Blue/white. Plus many of the CAT 5, 6,. Use Blue with white tracer:
    25-pair color code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can connect either in serie(from phone to phone), all go to one location and connect all or any combination.
    Just have White/Blue to Green, blue to red, white/orange to black, and orange to yellow. Take Care

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone jack wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How is the jack to be wired to the wires coming from the wall?

What are the color wire scheme for a four wired thermostat system [ 2 Answers ]

Have a thermastat system (four wire) that was disconected without being labeled need to know the color code for the wires

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Problem w/ phone jack [ 5 Answers ]

I want to put a phone in my bedroom, but the phone jack just doesn't work! Is there anything I can do to like, "activate" it or something?

Phone jack wiring [ 7 Answers ]

How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?

View more questions Search