Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Feb 24, 2008, 10:29 AM
    How do I add vents in my finished basement?
    I have finished the framing and I need to run some lines from the trunk lines into the newly added rooms in my basement. I built soffits around the main/trunk lines and I'm wondering if I should have done the HVAC ducts first. I thought I'd run a rectangular duct through the soffit and just put the vent cover right there on the side of the soffit. Does this sound do-able and what kind of hardware do I need to cut into the trunk line and add the new ducting?
    Help!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 12:08 PM
    Does this sound do-able and what kind of hardware do I need to cut into the trunk line and add the new ducting?
    Yes it should work.

You will need sheetmetal for the duct and snips, drill,screws,grills,s hooks and drives if rectangular duct, ruler or tape measure,hammer ETC
    GE1223 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Feb 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
    Metal duct is great ! But flex duct is cheaper and easier to install . You will need 1-start collar, box of flex duct 6" or 8" panduit straps,mastic,tape panduit tension tool, for flex duct. And just as hvac1000 said for metal duct. You can get all this at Home Depot

Feb 24, 2008, 02:21 PM
    Thanks guys for the help. I'm definitely a novice here. What is a "start collar" and how does it go in, and "Panduit straps" and "Panduit Tension tool" and "mastic"? I know what the flex duct is.
    Can someone tell me how to post pictures on here with my posts to show people better what I'm talking about? I'm not sure how to describe my situation in detail, and I think pistures would make it a lot easier to explain.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Your best bet is to get a book or books from the library to help you cover all the aspects of duct work. It would be impossible to lay out your whole system here. You just need basic info and books can do that.
    GE1223 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2008, 08:31 PM
    HVAC1000 is right it would take way too much time to explain all you need to know about laying out your duct system here. Im sure all want to help anyway we can but sometimes things are just to detailed to put in e-mail form. Here are some sugested book sites you may find helpful. 1. BOOKS4HVAC.COM 2. RHVACTOOLS.COM 3.The ESCO Institute
    A start collar is just what it implies its asheetmetal collar which goes into your supply trunk to start the flex duct run. Panduit straps are the long nylon straps used to fasten the flex to the collar, Panduit gun is used to tighten the panduit straps onto the collar. Mastic is the paste like substance used to seal up the duct where you cut in the new ducts and other places that need to be sealed. But just as HVAC1000 said your best bet is to get the books if you want to purchase them you can go to the sugested sites or just visit your local library.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Wanting to do all this on your own is great,, but,is the furnace going to be big enough to take care of the extra square footage? If not you may be getting ready to hurt yourself,if not done right,ypu can very easly take away the heat from other parts of the house.

Feb 25, 2008, 11:30 PM
    Yeah, I thought I'd keep most of the vents down there closed unless it gets too warm or too cool. Right now, there are 2 vents down there that stay closed all the time and it stays comfortable to me. My wife will probably like it warmer but it's kind of like my Man-cave and I don't think she'll be down there much really.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Returns In A Finished Basement [ 10 Answers ]

I have built four rooms in my basement, one has a gas fireplace installed in it, one is a bathroom with a vent to the outside, one bedroom and one rec room. I have tapped off the main heat duct and installed diffusors in the center of each rooms ceiling. I am now in the process of installing...

Heating a finished basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have a finished basement, furnished and live in the Midwest. I do not use the are very rarely in the winter. I would like to know how much it would decrease my heating bill. I could close it off with a temporary closure. I have all the heat ducts closed. Is it worth the effort to close it...

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

Plumbing in a finished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently finishing the basement in my home built about 2 years ago. The people that did the plumbing and heating didn’t want to spend the time to keep all of the plumbing and ductwork up in the joists so I’m having to move a bunch of it. I actually have 2 questions: 1. I have an A/C...

Backwater valve for finished basement [ 3 Answers ]

Tom, I currently finishing my basement and have heard/read that if the flood rim level of any fixtures is below the next upstream sewer manhole cover that a backwater valve should be installed to prevent sewage backup into the finished basement in the event there was a main sewer line block or...

View more questions Search