Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jacobturtle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Plumbing for dishwasher hookup under sink with disposal
    I have a kitchen sink with a disposal fitted beneath. My dishwasher is hooked up to the left of the sink but it keeps leaking from beneath, soaking the floor from below. It has been fixed a couple of times. It is now leaking again. I suspect that the drainage plumbing is incorrect and that the dishwasher is also hooked up wrong. No less than four licensed plumbers have said that it looks fine, however, I can no longer believe them.

In looking up sites that offered dishwasher hookup instructions, it seems that we may be missing the air gap fitting and that the plumbing was not installed properly by the former owner of the house.

Please give me explicit instructions with illustrations so that I can fix the situation and then decide whether to fix this dishwasher once more or buy a new one. I do have a friend with the appropriate tools who can help me.

Thank you.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:49 AM
    There is a port directly on the disposal for dishwasher hookup. When using that port, an air gap isn't necessary. It's usually a plug that needs to be removed. Take a look and see what you find.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Not all areas require an airgap. If the dishwasher hose is secured to the underside of the counter top so as to prevent waste water from flowing back into the dishwasher you should be fine. I have the impression that this is a double bowl sink. If the dishwasher was installed prior to the disposal it would be connected to a spur off the tail pipe. This is also fine. The disposal also has a spur for connecting a dishwasher if there is a single bowl. Exactly where is the leak. Does it leak only when the dishwasher is used or anytime that bowl is used. Should be easy to see leak.
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Post a picture using go advanced of the leak location

Although when an airgap is not used, you typically route the diswasher drain as high as it will go before entering the drain.

How is your diswasher plumbed?
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 09:49 AM
    This site suggests that an airgap is required even with garbage disposers:

http://www.smartplumber.org/garbage.htm

But, having the dishwasher drain go as high as possible may satisfy some codes. In escense, water cannot drain uphill and kitchen waste cannot get into the dishwasher.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New double sink, disposal, dishwasher - old drain pipe location too high? [ 8 Answers ]

This seems like the place to go! I've spent hours reading the posts but can't quite seem to find my exact situation. We are completely remodeling our kitchen and just installed the new double bowl cast iron sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher. All of the information we've been reading, including...

Dishwasher hookup [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old dishwasher that was hooked up to the cold water instead of the hot . How do I switch it

Kitchen sink/disposal/dishwasher [ 2 Answers ]

I have an aunt who lives in Florida that has a garbage disposal and a dishwasher. She says she doesn't use the disposal, but it has been used in the past(about 2 or three years ago by previous owners) She is getting a bad smell in her dishwasher. Can you tell me what would be causing it?

Dishwasher hookup [ 7 Answers ]

Installed a brand new dishwasher recently. Put a t connection off the hot water pipe that goes to the kitchen sink. However water that is going to the dishwasher is cold. Have pulled the dishwasher out to make sure that we hooked into the hot water and it is definitely the hot water pipe. Any...

Disposal backing up into Dishwasher? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this has been asked 20 different ways. I have a single-tub kitchen sink and recently when I had the water running it drained for a few minutes but then water starting gurgling back up into the sink and sit there until it very slowly drained. Next, I had the brilliant idea to start...

View more questions Search