Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pdion12 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Background Check and Statute of Limitations
    What is the statute of limitations, for background checks and work history reports are there any? I live in Michigan

I have been threatened that I would never be able to work again, and sabotaged by a few former managers of a major hair chain, I haven't been able to find employment in 10 years, how long can this go on? What are the statute of limitations in this case? I do not have a criminal history, I believe this is coming from work history reports, coming up during conducting a background check.

Sincerely
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2008, 11:32 AM
    The phrase statute of limitation refers to statues (laws) that specify the length of time that someone can pursue a legal remedy for a situation. For example, how long before a prosecutor must file criminal charges or how long a creditor has to file suit to obtain a judgement against a debtor.

Some areas do have laws on how long negative information can remain on a credit or background report. But that doesn't apply to references. In other words. If a former employer is contacted about your work history, there is no limit on when they can stop reporting factual information.

I think you need to do some more research on what a backround check will show for you, then proceed from there.

Feb 17, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Thank you for your reply, Whenever I went to interviews and give consent to do background checks, something is causing these people to have an extreme unappealing perception of me, as if I had committed some kind of heinous crime. (I have no criminal record) I have exhausted all my efforts into finding out what is in my background check, and can't get any company that conducted the background check to give it to me .I know it is my right to know what is in the background check, I have wrote to FCRA, I have tried everything there is to try, and can't seem to find out. Do you have any suggestions?

Feb 17, 2008, 02:44 PM
    Thank you for your reply, Whenever I went to interviews and give consent to do background checks, something is causing these people to have an extremely unappealing perception of me, as if I had committed some kind of heinous crime. (I have no criminal record) I have exhausted all my efforts into finding out what is in my background check, and can't get any company that conducted the background check to give it to me .I know it is my right to know what is in the background check, I have wrote to FCRA, I have tried everything there is to try, and can't seem to find out. Do you have any suggestions?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Background reports can come from several places.

1. credit reports
    2. DMV ( driving records)
    3. crminal record reports
    4. prior work history.

So if you did a poor job, had some company you used to work for that did not like you, they can give you a bad reference.
    So if these other managers are saying things about you that are UNTRUE, and this is the reason you are not getting the job, you can sue them.
    If they are saying things that are true, there is nothing you can do about it.

One method is to have some friend who has a business to send off for reference checks from all of the places you are putting on your application.

Also if you are a licensed hair professoinal, are there any official complaints on your state records with the licensing board.

Also there could be someone with a similar name who is a felon that you are being confused with. It ahppens.
    I got served with papers for child support last year, (laugh laugh) it was someone with a simulr name, guess the court and servers did not check full name, or correct spelling

Feb 18, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Thank you for your advice, I have contacted an attorney he said it is too late to sue, it has to be within 60 to 90 days after the incident or threat. My husband asked a friend who has a friend that has a business to do a background check for me he said he only did it for his employees and he didn't want to risk getting into trouble, I forgot to tell him I would sign a waiver granting permission to do so.

I do not want to work in the cosmetology profession any more, that environment seems to take on a culture all its own, and I don't want any part of it.

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a statute of limitations for background checks [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all , this is my first post in this forum so forgive me if this question has already been asked. I was placed on probation for a crime that occurred when I was 17 years old Well now at the age of 32 I realized that the felony that I am now stuck with could have been reduced to a misdomeaner...

Statute of Limitations [ 1 Answers ]

In Nov. 2003 I was fired from my job of 5+ years for making a few judgment calls that came back to haunt me. I worked in a Walgreens and was a unofficial manager of the photo area. By unofficial I mean I filled in when the manager was gone did orders, made decisions, and kept the place going...

Statute of limitations [ 1 Answers ]

How long is the statute of limitions for a bad debt- as a debt incured while in a credit- a check that was cashed for someone and deposited in the credit union- this is Oregon

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

View more questions Search