Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Indoor Plants
    Are there any indoor plants that don't require much sunlight, or even NO sunlight? I hate silk plants and wanted something that will live indoors without any sunlight.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Don't you have at least one window where the plant can get light? Of course you do.

This winter I discovered Amarylis bulbs. These are virtially fool proof. I bought some bulbs and put them in a container that had some mulch and a special design so they would grow out the top of the special pot. You water them once when you plant them and not again. They sprout up to about 2 1/2 feet tall and then start sending up the thick stem where the flowers bloom. The flowers last about 2 weeks then fade. I have the tall green stems without the flower stem last me for months and then when they start to die, I cut them off, leave the bulb alone in the pot, don't water and let the bulb sit for about a month in the pot and then it starts to grow all over again. I bought them at close out at Wallyworld here for a song but they had a web site that had the unusual pots with the bulbs. The flowers are abut 8" in width with 4 or 5 in a grouping at the top of the stem. I basically had them in a window that got low light due to the fact I have shutters on the window that I keep the bottom half closed. I have not had good luck with regular plants in my home due to not enough direct light for regular plants to grow, but these bulbs grow.

You may have good luck with African violets as well. Certain colors do better with lower light sources. Just don't overwater or underwater.
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 07:18 AM
    I have a window yes, but since there is very little sunlight this time of year, that's not helpful. Oh yeahm, and that fact that I don't have any windows facing the right direction..
    Dana2007 Posts: 230, Reputation: 5

Feb 16, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Snake, mother-in-law's tongue plant

It is the only plant that I have ever owned that never died. It can live off very little water and very little sunlight. But if it gets some water and some sunshine, it will grow much faster and grow babies too. I've had mine for over 20 years, but only in the last 2 years have I even seen babies or seen it grow so much because it now gets more water and more sunshine.

Make sure you are actually getting a mother-in-law's tongue plant because if it isn't, it will die within a month.

I've made the mistake of buying other plants that looked like it, and they died within a month.

Here is a link to a picture of one.

Snake Plants - House plants - Denver Plants.com

Feb 16, 2008, 07:52 AM
    The mother-in-law tongue plant will even do well sitting on the floor near a window.
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Oh pretty, I want one!

Another question, are they poisonous to dogs? I mean I don't plan on feeding the plant to my dog. But if she gets ahold of it, I want to know she won't die.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Ivy is pretty tough too. I'm also rubbish with plants and it was the only one I could keep alive - well until I dropped a mirror on it but that was more physical destruction than care malpractice.

English Ivy - House plants - Denver Plants.com

I have seen people keep them under stairs were there is little light and they were doing fine.
    Vision Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Fantastic, I LOOOOOOOOOVE ivy!! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, guys.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
    All plants take different lights, and different amounts. Some need diffused light from the east, others need direct light from the west, yet others from the north and south.

My thumb is so green! I can bring a dead plant back to life again. LOL

What direction is your window facing?

Oh, and African Violets do need light, usually lots of it... BUT it does not need an outdoor source of light. They thrive very well with fluorescent lighting.

Some others that I have, that have limited exposure to light are spider plants (however, the more light they get the brighter the varigation is), peace lillys do well with low light, but need a lot of water, Norfolk Island Pines do well in low light, Philodendrons need very little light, any kind of ivy, certain palms need little light such as a ponytail palm.

Feb 16, 2008, 01:18 PM
    I have had a dog for over 11 years and she has never eaten any plants (outdoor nor indoor).
    turfman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2008, 05:28 PM
    Many of the [I]Dracaena[I] family of plants do well in low light. Also known as Corn Plant (other varieties include; Marginata, Janet Craig... ) Aglaonemas also do well in low light, as do Pothos. I steer away from Ivy because of spider mites (they love em). If money is no object and you want a tropical feel, a Kentia palm works in lower light and so does a Raaphiis palm (may have misspelled that one). As you saw, a snake plant does well in low light. Hope this helps.:)
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Purple Passion Ivy, It has purple fuzzy leaves I've had it for about 20 years now very cool plant and easy to grow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indoor Plants [ 7 Answers ]

How do I take good care of houseplants? What should be the watering and fertilizing schedule. Also when and how often they need to be repotted?So far the only plants that seem to survive indoors are Peace lilies-the rest just die after some months. Right now I'm trying to save an Ivy,Dracena...

Painting indoor furniture [ 5 Answers ]

In painting say a dresser, how do you keep the paint from streaking on the smooth surface?

Indoor football [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find an Alaska Wild t shirt?

Indoor pests [ 1 Answers ]

We recently had a second sump pump installed in the ground level of our home. There has been a excessive amount of crickets. How do we rid of them so we can enjoy the family space on our lower level?

Indoor plumbing backing up [ 1 Answers ]

What would cause the toilet then both bath tubs to back-up when the toilet was flushed?

View more questions Search