Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenman40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Goodman pilot light on but furnace burners will not come on?
    We have a Goodman furance that will not produce heat. The pilot light is on, the gas is released, but the burners will not kick in. Do you have any idea what is causing this problem.:confused:

Scott's Chicago
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Does it have a thermocouple?

I had a very similar problem and that is what fixed it.

They just wear out and need to be replaced.

Mine was easy enough to do myself, not sure about yours, if you don't have much knowledge in this area I urge caution as gas appliances do have a high degree of danger involved.

Good Luck.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 10:01 PM
    Is the pilot flame high or tall enough to ignite the burners,? the pilot should be at least an inch tall,and a nice uniform flame,the pilot may need cleaning or replaced, are you sure the gas is turned on at the gas valve,and not turned to pilot only,, if the thermocouple was bad you probably wouldn`t have a working pilot
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Not necessarily so wmproop, my pilot worked just fine, but the thermocouple was keeping the burner from lighting. I guess if they go completely bad, it would shut down the pilot, but if they get weak, or old, without going completely bad, the pilot still burns? One note, my furnace is an old Luxaire, probably about 35 to 45 years old if that makes any difference.
    bigjack69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 09:12 AM
    I just went to my uncles to work on his furnace. He said his friend installed a new thermocoupler and furnace lit once and has not worked again. When I got there I found a switch inside furnace behind transformer that was in off position. When I turned on switch fan will run continuously no matter what you do at stat. Am I on a right path, Could problem be @ separate issues. If burners fired and fan did not come on since switch was off---Could that of burned the thermocoupler up and made it bad? Pilot is still lit though. And I'm thinking maybe a fan limit controller could be bad, or possibly digital stat needs to be replaced? Let me know if I'm anywhere near a solution to fix this furnace. Thanks in advance.
    Mike

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman furnace HSI does not glow, burners never light [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Goodman gas-forced air furnace, about 10 years old. I have power to the main control panel (part# 18099-13) and gas is "on". In the furnace sequence posted by sticky, I am having problems at the step where the hot surface ignitor "glows" to light the burners. All other steps, such as the...

Carrier heating unit, we lit pilot but others burners will never light and so we have [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: We are freezing to ice cubes here, please someone help us with an answer. We lite the pilot on our Carrier system just as the instructions on the panel say to do, but when we turn it to on nothing happens. The blower blows cool air. The burners are not lighting inside. Last year...

How do you light the pilot light of a Carrier furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you light the furnace of a Carrier furnace model #58DLA110-12?

Furnace trouble. Pilot lights. Burners light but then go out. Evetually stay on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I searched through this site a bit and found some helpful topics, tried a few things and I'm still have the same trouble. I have a Bryant furnace that uses a Johnson Controls G779LHA-1C Ignition Control. The ignition control is new, I just replaced it a week ago. It's hooked up so...

Goodman furnace igniter stays on 20 sec with pilot light [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Goodman forced air unit in my garage, was used only now and then, a while ago it started this... turn furnace on and igniter comes on and lights pilot then stops for a second then comes back on for about 20-30 seconds... all this time pilot is light and strong... then igniter stops and...

View more questions Search