Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    asknapp2000 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 11:15 PM
    Toilet overflowing when washing machine discharges.
    I have been in this house for 6+ years and have recently started having this problem. No changes in plumbing or appliances have been made. When my washing machine discharges it is bubbling the soapy water back into my toilet causing it to overflow and is also backing up a bit in the sink but not overflowing there. The washer,toilet, and sink are all located on the bottom floor and in the same 1/2 bathroom. I also am on a septic system. As I said the water that is backing up is soapy and does not appear to be sewage just soapy water. When the washer is not running the toilet and sink seem to work fine. The rest of the plumbing in the house on the 2nd floor sinks, showers and other toilets do not seem to have any problems. Is this more likely a problem with a clog from the 1/2 bath drain line feeding the main drain line, maybe a clogged vent or a clog in the main line drain to the septic? Where should I begin? I want to hopefully take care of this problem and hope to avoid a much bigger problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have listed what I think could be possible problems but would like to get pointed in the right direction from a professional. Thank You.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Hey ask... When was last time septic got pumped out?

Do a test or two for me... fill upstairs bathtub and then release it... have someone upstairs to release the tub.. you in basement at toilet/sink and see what happens (if toilet starts to overflow tell person upstairs to stop draining tub). Did this cause gurgling and/or backup at the toilet... let entire tub drain.

If this did nothing... then do it again. If this did nothing... headed downstairs to 1/2 bath.

Flush toilet 10 times... did anything happen? Then finally, drain washing machine... if this overflowed... and septic has been pumped recently then... YUP! Time to snake out the drain... with information so far I would tell you to lift the toilet and snake down the drain line from there.

But would like you to try these things first... I am trying to see if this is your entire sewer main drain or if bathrooms are separated in terms of the waste line issue. Could also be your septic is full or clogged up at inlet to tank (under lid in yard) as I said in beginning. Let me know. If I don't get back to you today.. I am sure others will.. I will check back later tonight.

Good day. If my answer helped please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on rate this answer at above right. Thank you.

Feb 15, 2008, 08:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asknapp2000
    I have been in this house for 6+ years and have recently started having this problem. No changes in plumbing or appliances have been made. When my washing machine discharges it is bubbling the soapy water back into my toilet causing it to overflow and is also backing up a bit in the sink but not overflowing there. The washer,toilet, and sink are all located on the bottom floor and in the same 1/2 bathroom. I also am on a septic system. As I said the water that is backing up is soapy and does not appear to be sewage just soapy water. When the washer is not running the toilet and sink seem to work fine. The rest of the plumbing in the house on the 2nd floor sinks, showers and other toilets do not seem to have any problems. Is this more likely a problem with a clog from the 1/2 bath drain line feeding the main drain line, maybe a clogged vent or a clog in the main line drain to the septic? Where should I begin? I want to hopefully take care of this problem and hope to avoid a much bigger problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have listed what I think could be possible problems but would like to get pointed in the right direction from a professional. Thank You.
    I have been working 12 hour nights and my wife was getting impatient so I just decided to make a phone call but this is how it ended up. I first called a local plumber and explained the situaton and in the end he determined what you had mentioned (how long has it been since the septic has been pumped) well it had been 6+ years. Made the call to the septic man and he came today and exposed the tank and pulled the 1st cover. WOW! It was full to the brim all the way to the cover. He pumped it out and then pulled the second cover. EWW! The inlet was completely clogged with a huge clump of sludge and disgusting gunk which he also removed and then banged on the inlet pipe and a gush of more vile clumpy liquid poured out. He proceeded to clean the affected areas and remove the build up. When all was through we went through a test run of the various scenarios and all is working great. In the end he located,dug, and pumped my tank for $250 which I thought was a great deal in comparison to what may have been looming if I hadn't made the call. Needless to say my tank will be pumped regularly every 3-4 years as he recommended from here on out. Thank you for your response and your 1st instinct was correct. It was the septic tank.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 08:45 PM
    Thanks for getting back to me. Glad it was not more complicated!! Take care.

Feb 15, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asknapp2000
    One more quick question regarding this situation. As I had previously stated the water was backing up and overflowing the toilet. My wife also told me that water was also coming out from under the toilet. I assume that the wax ring is not designed to retain water flowing back through the system and that is why it was leaking from under the toilet. Is this correct or is this a sign of a failing wax ring and I need to replace it also. Thank you for any suggestions.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Hey ASK... Yeah wax can only hold back so much pressure, so if water flowed out from underneath the toilet... YUP... I would replace the gasket... if not leak will show again... most likely in the middle of a gathering with friends/family... you know... always worst case.

If you need help on replacing toilet let us know... will talk through real quick. Take care.

Feb 18, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Sorry it took a bit to reply but I'm still in the stone age at home with dial up and it pains me to use the internet from there. However thanks for the advice and I will replace the wax ring. I have replaced them in the past and know how to do so but thanks for all of your help in this situation. I will certainly use this site again when I am in a bind as it has proved to be very useful. Great job!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine overflowing downstairs toilet. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Every time we use our washing machine, it overflows the toilet during the rinse cycle. We have the regular sewage system and not a septic tank. How do I stop this?

Washing machine overflowing [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty 70 series washing machine. It keeps filling and eventually overflows... it is not switching over to agitate. When I try to manually switch it over to agitate it won't do anything. It drains, spins and everything else just fine... it just won't agitate. Does anyone...

Overflowing washing machine [ 2 Answers ]

My three year old Kenmore washing machine overflows and won't stop until inlet water hoses are shut off. LAst time we shop-vacced 40 gallons of water off the basement floor that had rained down from the main floor laundry room. Service man has replaced the timing apparatus thing-y. Any ideas would...

Overflowing Washing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I inherited a condo (5th floor) from my dad when he passed away. I have this rented. There is a washer that overflowed for 45 min and ruined the oak flooring in my unit and the ceilings and flooring in several units below mine. This is a disaster! After checking it out, I believe the overflow...

Sewer odor from kitchen sink when washing machine discharges [ 1 Answers ]

Here goes... When the washing machine discharges water, I get a strong sewer smell from the kitchen sink. 1. Washing machine is located in the basement and empties into a utility sink. 2. Both kitchen sink drain and utility sink drain enter into the same cast iron pipe located in the concrete...

View more questions Search