Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quarrymen Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 07:07 AM
    Toilet tank keeps refilling
    Our toilet tank is draining a little from somewhere because it will refill a little every couple of minutes. I tried replacing the flapper and flushing mechanism, but it's still happening. The only thing left to change would be the seal between the tank and toilet... right?:confused:
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Feb 10, 2008, 07:20 AM
    Are you leaking on to the floor? If not then it's probably not the seal. Have you changed the flapper mechanism all the way down to the porcelain? Or just the flap? You should change the whole flap assembly as the replacements don't always seat right.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 10, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Let's try readjusting before we replace the flush valve.
    Check the tank water level, it should be at the mark in the tank or 3/8 to 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. Now look at the flapper, If it has wavey edges on the flat surface, replace it. The linkage between the flapper and the flush lever should have 1/4" play when the tank is filled. Also, check the small tube coming out of the top of the bakkcock and make sure it's connect to and draining into the white overflow tube. Pay attention to the linkage adjustment. Let me know. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 07:28 AM
    I am not sure if you have already done this but you need to install a whole new flush valve assembly.

Not the fill valve... the flush valve. If you have done this then you may have a problem in the installation of the parts you replaced. May need to start over again.

As GRT (hello fellow mass. Person) said... not the seal... would leak onto floor... not bolts as that would also leak onto floor. SO.. must be the seal at the flush valve... OR A DEFECTIVE FLAPPER. Also note that if this is just installed new flush valve assembly... you need to give the flapper time to seal to the flush valve assembly. Hope this helped.

If it did please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on button below. Thank you.
    Gregisteredtrademark Posts: 226, Reputation: 35

Feb 10, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Sir you are correct, I was thinking of the tank gasket.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 08:42 AM
    That tube that Tom spoke of must be connected to and flowing into the overflow pipe but it must not be stuck down into the overflow so far as to be below the water line. This will create a syphoning action after the fill valve shuts off and drain the tank back down to begin filling again. With a 2 minute cycle it sounds like this is what is happening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Toilet tank has trouble refilling [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so I've tried to do as many searches as I can to give my husband different ideas on how to fix our toilet. He has tried many and none have helped so I ask the great experts (I have read a lot of suggestions but haven't found advice that totally fits mine). So here's the question (and I'm not...

Toilet not refilling immediately [ 2 Answers ]

What would cause my toilet to NOT refil immediately after flushing? It normally takes 2 minutes afterwards. Enough time to wash your hands, leave the bathroom, sit on the couch, and then would you hear the toilet start to refill. With seven in our house, and only two toilets, I need to correct...

Phantom toilet refilling [ 4 Answers ]

Over the last several weeks, I have noticed that the toilet will run for about 10 seconds, although it is not being used. It seems to coincide with using the kitchen or bathtub drains. I'd appreciate any suggestions...

View more questions Search