Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brandx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Roommate harassing and threatening
    To Whom It May Concern:

My roommate literally takes up 90% of the household (two-bedroom house). He verbally harasses me and my boyfriend for any and everything. He has tried to bully me and my boyfriend. He will not allow us to place anything in the house other than what he wants to place about (i.e. his stuff). We all pay the same amount of rent, but I pay the same as him for just a bedroom. Also, he runs up the utility bills only to ask us to pay for it equally. He threatens me for money, but is extremely behind in rent. My name as well as my boyfriend's are not on the lease. What should I do? We are trying to move out, but he is making it very difficult. I live in Van Nuys, California (L.A. County) and want to know if there is anything legally--action-wise--that I can or should do?

E
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 05:41 PM
    If you and your boyfriend aren't on the lease what is the problem with just moving out?
    rockerchick26 Posts: 93, Reputation: 22

Feb 6, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Cut your losses and just move out. You are very lucky you aren't on the lease, although if you had a verbal agreement that can stand up in court in come states.

If he is threatening you and you want to get out quietly, start moving things out slowly (when he is at work) even into a storage unit if you have to. When you are ready to get the big things out, rent a truck and do it when he isn't home.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 05:59 PM
    Try to move out as soon as possible as this guy could get pretty nasty or nastier than he usually is about things. You are not on the lease which is great, but did you have some sort of agreement with this guy that could hold up in court if he sued you for moving out?
    Sand Daddy Posts: 95, Reputation: 14

Feb 6, 2008, 06:01 PM
    I agree with all of the above posts, get out before he goes completely postal!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 06:07 PM
    Even if he had a verbal agreement it might not stand up in court if the landlord would have to say it was okay with him. If it wouldn't be okay with the landlord he might not even want to pursue it if you move out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Problems: How to Deal with crazy Roommate [ 4 Answers ]

I have a roommate who is 52 years old (Japanese/American bon in US). He was pretty good roommate from Aug 2001, just because he never lived in apt until end of July, I think. He was living with his girlfriend whole time but he came back once a while but he never stayed no longer than 1 week....

Former boss harassing me [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated on 01/29/2007 and today on 03/24/2007 I got a certified letter from my former employer demanding that I pay $464.00 for a charge on a company credit card that I did not transact. They said if I don't pay it by 04/20/07 they will file legal charges against me. This is in the state...

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

Harassing Neighbor [ 12 Answers ]

We moved into our house 7 months ago and our neighbor has called several times to complain about various things. The latest phone call was in regards to my husband smoking a brisket for MY birthday party! She claims that the smoke hovers in her back yard and she and her husband are not able to...

View more questions Search