Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wayne888 Posts: 13, Reputation: 0

Feb 4, 2008, 05:32 AM
    Stop me drinking
    Can anyone tell me how to quit alcohol I find it impossible, being battling it for years I don't like the AA tried rehab can stop for 4-5 days then the cravings get too much. Was thinking about anti- booze tablets but am afraid of the after effects or long term health problems:confused: :mad:
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 07:32 AM
    You should be scared. You don't have control over this part of yourself, so you need others. Alcohol can kill you SO many different ways.

Stop caring about liking AA, get back into it and get a serious sponsor. The whole point of AA is they KNOW they can't do it alone so they buddy-up. They all understand the situation so you get a free pass to call your buddy at ALL hours of the day, whenever needed.

Nobody else in your life will tolerate that sort of randomness.

You don't have to like AA, just like dying less and your out of control life and go back.

... then stay there, whether you like it or not. Man-up.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 11:45 AM
    If you stop drinking, how will you fill the time you spent drinking, thinking about drinking, and taking care of yourself after a about of drinking? You don't have anything, do you? :)

When you start at AA, you aren't supposed to like it! You are *really sick*, and you are trying to find a way to be healthy and happy down the road by becoming a participant in AA. Just go back to AA and go five days a week, or seven days a week and make some new friends.

Live and learn,
    Learn to enjoy life :):):)
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Alcoholism destroys lives, families and relationships and inflicts other damage.
    It can be difficult to give up alcohol but not impossible. Follow these steps to
    Stop drinking and start on your way back to a healthy, self-loving lifestyle.
    You will see a very different person when you look in the mirror.

How to stop drinking and get your life back | eHow.com

stop+drinking | eHow Search

I quit drinking when I got to the bottom of the barrel--

Your breath smells like a beer soaked bar rag -- BAD
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2008, 04:48 PM
    You could try the anti booze pills and see how you fare with them. When you take them you will get violently ill if you drink alcohol. Maybe if you can see that drinking causes you to be violently ill, maybe you CAN and will stay away from it.

It is also a matter of will power. Does alcohol have more power over you or you over it. If it was an illegal drug it would be easier to stay away, but alcohol is available just about everywhere from the grocery store to the quickie mart. Apparently you have not truly reached the bottom of the barrel yet and are not ready to stop. That I can understand. It is not an easy habit to successfully kick. You need to live your life one day at a time, 5 minutes at a time. 5 Minutes at a time is actually best as you can at least cope with a 5 minute time gap. It's the month, year, etc time gaps that are harder.

You are at least making an effort to quit even if you can't do it right now. I am proud of you that you at least can see that you want to quit.
    Certificate Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 04:11 AM
    I do not know is any of this works , I read recently that Kudoz Recovery is very helpful to reduce craving . Might help you get past the 4/5 days. Also campral a prescription drug that you can buy on line.

Let me stress again, I have not tried them .
    Certificate Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 04:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne888
    can anyone tell me how to quit alchol i find it impossible, being battling it for years i dont like the AA tried rehab can stop for 4-5 days then the cravings get to much. was thinking about anti- booze tablets but am afraid of the after effects or long term health problems:confused: :mad:
    I do not know is any of this works , I read recently that Kudoz Recovery is very helpful to reduce craving . Might help you get past the 4/5 days. Also campral a prescription drug that you can buy on line.

Let me stress again, I have not tried them . However I am going to give them a go,.
    Keep trying.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Addiction to alcohol is the alcohol telling you what to do. Do you like that? Sure, drinking has its benefits. Those benefits get scarcer as the disease progresses, don't they. The answer is to be honest, at least with yourself, for one whole sentence. "I am under the control of King Alcohol, I am a shivering denizen of his mad realm."

Once you can be honest about that one thing; King Alcohol has you by the balls, you can move forward. Tell yourself the truth. Quit making up excuses for why you drink. Now you know. Admit why you went back to drinking after quitting so many times. And quitting hurts. Every time it's worse.

It is different for all of us alkies. Cravings continued for about a year after I quit for the last time. But, now it's gone. GONE! One sip will bring back all that insanity though. So I don't take that sip. Insanity, depression, blackouts, lost cars, relationships, jobs, it doesn't matter. All the reasons you can come up with don't really tell the truth.

So, who has you by the balls? How can you get him off your back? Don't drink, no matter what. Even if you want to. Do not let him in.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 04:28 AM
    Hi Wayne,

I hope you can see all these post to your concern. People do care and want what is best for you.

First, don't you dare loose hope. Don't you dare give up. Just because AA was not the answer, there are other answers out there.

You just remember, that it is a disease and has a hold of you. Drinking yourself sick is something you do not want to do. So don't be down on yourself. It is no different then any other illness out there. People with cancer eating them alive reach out for help and get treatement. Do the same for this illness eating at you. Please.

There are in patient treatment centers. I know some insurances cover if you have insurance. If you do not, there has to be places in your local area that can help.

My girlfriend, who I was sick with worry about, did go in to a treatmenet center I think for 45 days, and boy if you could see her now. She just shines. I want the same for you. We all do.

This link that I am posting is only an example as to what is out there. Look for places that are near you. Or even call this place and see what they recommend. Even if it is nowhere near you. I am sure Centers like these have a lot of connections.

I am keeping you in your thoughts and prayers. You can beat this thing!

Adelante Recovery: Index
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Like everyone is saying, ther's help out there, just reach out and get some. There's plenty of help now a days, if you don't like the aa thing, just talking to someone will help a lot, Check out where you live, churches, general help centers for addictions. You want help, we can tell this, it's just finding the right place where you feel comfortable, keep trying and look for the help you need.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I STOP drinking? [ 68 Answers ]

Over the past year or so I've found myself having at least one drink a day. I enjoyed having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner or later on in the evening. Well, slowly, the number of drinks have increased and I can't seem to stop. I have one drink, and it feels so good to have that warm...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

Underage drinking [ 1 Answers ]

What are the penalties for underage drinking, I was not driving, but was in a car. I never received a breathalizer or read my rights. Thanks? Ga.

My old aged dog won't stop drinking [ 6 Answers ]

My dog who is 16 years old just won't stop drinking water. We will fill his bowl up and he will drink it until its all gone. He will even get that desperate to have a drink that he will go try and drink out of the toilet which he has not done since he was a puppy

Stop drinking soda! [ 10 Answers ]

Has anyone else had trouble with soda? I want to STOP but it seems impossible, especially in the AM. I rarely drink and don't smoke (30yrs old and never even tried drugs) Dr. Pepper is my downfall! :eek:

View more questions Search