Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 6, 2006, 04:33 AM
    AOL and Yahoo to charge for e-mail service
    Interesting to note,that to try and stop spammers,AOL,and Yahoo,are going to charge a very tiny fee (1 cent),to deliver email that does not go through spam filters:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4684942.stm

Am I missing something here?

Both companies say that delivered email will receive the stamp of authenticity.But if it has not been through a spam filter,and is supposed to come from a reputable source,what is to stop spammers from "spamming" that reputable source,with fake clone-like copies of messages?
    In other words,if you are expecting email from company A,what is to stop spammers,phishing that reputable source,and sending you real-looking "hedders",which when opened,offer nothing more than a years supply of bottles of fake suntan lotion,or ten years of free ice-creams from the Antarctic?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 6, 2006, 04:40 AM
    As we all know, spam filters do such and excellent job in removing the spam from our inboxes, that this will surely stop the spam tidle wave. <\sarcasm>

Now which planet are Yahoo and AOL living on as it isn't the same one as me ;)

Do they honestly think this will work or is it just another money spinning idea
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 6, 2006, 05:12 AM
    Agreed.Turn off your Firewall,and we guarantee that nothing bad will get through.Only a penny a day.Back to the drawing board boys.Nice bank account though. :(
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 05:13 AM
    This has been very much discussed at Slashdot.org and Digg. They would lose customers no doubt. This has not gone into effect so it may not happen yet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2006, 06:42 AM
    I would suspect that both services have developed ways for those paying for this service to be able to authenticate themselves to the mail servers. So I wouldn't worry about spammers spoofing those people.

I don't think this would cause any loss of customers since this is a voluntary program. The recipients aren't getting charged anything. Its just a way for legitimate mailers to authenticate their mail.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Yeah, they won't lose customers as it doesn't affect you unless you say that you want this service.

As for the subject of "will it work" - I'm not sure. I think it is a good idea but like it's been mentioned, surely it's going to be easy for the hackers to get round this. I'm guessing this "stamp" will just be some headers. Well then surely the hackers can fake the headers (as mentioned). Either that or they are thinking of distributing special software that can read the tags (easy for AOL, they'll just shove it in their browser) but then surely that's defeating the whole point as email isn't tied down to a platform, technology, company etc.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2006, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I don't think this would cause any loss of customers since this is a voluntary program. The recipients aren't getting charged anything. Its just a way for legitimate mailers to authenticate their mail.
    Yea, I didn't use the correct term I guess. I meant 'users' of their web mail services. What Yahoo and AOL want to do is allow a commercial entity to send bulk html emails to Yahoo and AOL users by paying a price for that service when their bulk emailing would otherwise be tagged as spam. To me that's not a good thing. It would make me think about using my Gmail address or my ISP address as my main instead of my Yahoo address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yahoo Mail Upgrade [ 21 Answers ]

Anyone know how to upgrade Yahoo Mail free of charge? :D

Yahoo Mail Errors [ 1 Answers ]

My Yahoo email is giving me problems. I don't know what is causing the problem or why. I am not able to attach any files to an email. When I am in Yahoo mail I am prompted at the bottom of the page that there is and error, but I can find out what the error is or what is causing the problem. ...

MS OUTLOOK- Retrieving Mail from Yahoo [ 4 Answers ]

Is it possible to set up MS Outlook to retrieve mail from my Yahoo account? If so how?

Yahoo E-Mail [ 3 Answers ]

Hi- When I am reading Yahoo E-mail, the date and how big the message is are off the screen--I have to use the right arrow toget to that--How can I get it back where the whole screen shows up--Thank u very much---

View more questions Search