Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bebegirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Brain Shunt Removal
    Hello. My best friend was born 18 yrs ago and when she was 2 weeks old she had to have a shunt put in her head to help drain fluid to her stomach. Now that she's almost 19 the shunt seems to be causing a lot of pressure on her head and just giving her such bad headaches... and even blurred vision some. The doctors are thinking that she's out grown her shunt and are wanting to replace it with another one. I was just wondering that since it's been in her head since she was 2 weeks old... some swollen vessel and possible fluid leaking I am just afraid that I am going to lose her. The surgery takes an hour they said... but I mean there is also all that scar tissue that's built up over 18 yrs. If anyone has any insight please let me know. Please keep her & her family in your prayers. She is an amazing woman.
    Thanks everyone.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 05:36 PM
    It is very common to outgrow a shunt. This happens all the time and it is not unusual to have to replace the shut as the person outgrows the one placed originally. As a matter of fact, she is VERY lucky she has not had to have it replaced before now.
    bebegirl Posts: 36, Reputation: 8

Jan 31, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Thank you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brain Surgeon [ 1 Answers ]

How would I become a brain surgeon? How long would it take?

Do I have a brain tumour! [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a 15 year old girl and for the last 5 years I have been worrying about my head. What it is is that when I tense,shake and turn my head its like I can feel something inside my head moving back and forth. Im really worried about it and can't bare to go and see a doctor. Any advice on what you...

Brain Cramp [ 1 Answers ]

Can you help jar my memory with this one? There was a black male artist whom I first saw on Video Soul hosted by Donnie Simpson during the 80's or 90's. I cannot remember the song title or artist's name. He had dreadlocks and sang this slow song by a swimming pool. I believe this was a one hit...

Brain storming [ 1 Answers ]

How can I narrow a topic to asingle spoke or sub-header of a spoke on the map?

Portal caval shunt operation [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first time on here and I was wondering if anyone knows what food I can give my one year old Yorkshire Terrier, he has just had surgery and has had a Portal Caval Shunt operation and at the moment is on special Hepatic dog food. In one month I can introduce some normal dog food and...

View more questions Search