Ask
    Daniel3161 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2008, 09:11 PM
    Philippine scams
    Does anyone know anything about philippino dating are they scams
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2008, 09:14 PM
    There are many scams, from all nations, from US saying they are being sent back somewhere, from Russia, China, esp africa and the Philippines.

If they are wanting money for passports, visas, saying they have to have so many dollars in the bank before they can leave. Then expect that to most liekly be somre fruad.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Yep as FR_Chuck said they are from all over the world not just the Philippines. I think general rule as with most things is "If it sounds too good to be true" it generally is.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Keep your hand on your wallet. Scams can come from anywhere in the world.
    Sam DePecan Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 11:31 AM
    There are scams and there are scams . . . Sometimes the so-called "SCAMS" can come later on in a marriage that is already several years old. I know a man who married a wonderful girl and everything was so great and all but after around a decade of marriage she went bizerk with the checking account. So, he obviously told her to go pound salt. There are so many beautiful women who are from the Philippines. I have had two now and I don't expect any more. I surely hope not anyway. My first one was so near-perfect but she had a history of heart disease in her family. I have struggled getting over her and our 31-Glorious Years of marriage. But anyway, I have another one now and she is also originally from the Philippines, but just like the first one; I didn't meet her there . . . She was already living here in the USA. I can't say that makes a difference. I don't know. I only know that in my very strong biased opinion, the difference in women is The Philippines and all others. If I had it to do over again, I would have done it the same way, under the same or similar circumstances. It's difficult for me to talk about it . . . I lost my wife . . . Okay? However, I will tell you exactly what I think . . . I would not be happy without a Pinay wife. Really. Honestly . . . That's the truth. I just wanted to share it all with you.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2008, 08:18 PM
    As a Filipino woman myself, I'm hurt embarrassed about stories of deceit involving filipino women. My BF has been flirting online for 10 yrs before he met me. He told me that he used to send a lot of money on different women over here. I asked him why, he said he feel sorry for the stories he's hearing. I said, if a woman spends MOST of the time talking about negativites and tearjerking living conditions (NOTE: It may be true) instead of helping herself, she may not directly ask but implying "send me some" and maybe doing the same thing to others.

While I know some are true and some are exaggerated, similar accusations like these will surface against me in future and I don't want to be belittled just because of mistake of some "minority'. I graduated in college, a scholar (till now), currently taking masteral degree & saving money on my own (also, I don't ask my american BF to send money& I spend 95% of my int'l calls for him).
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 05:41 AM
    Give no money to strange people. That's like those e-mail about an Arabian prince wanting to use your bank account to store money
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

Jun 6, 2008, 05:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19
    Give no money to strange people. That's like those e-mail about an Arabian prince wanting to use your bank account to store money
    I've actually gotten those e-mails! :D
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Ha ha I get them all the time, I usually write back with a kind regards and ask them to please send me a money order and I would be happy to cash it and put it to good use in the name of the prince.

They never seem to reply tho:(

Jun 6, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Ha ha I get them all the time, I usually write back with a kind regards and ask them to please send me a money order and I would be happy to cash it and put it to good use in the name of the prince.

I saw on CNN or one those TV Stations (The one that has Stone Phillips) where he actually went there to Nigeria and challenged one of those scam artists. He told the culprit, right in front of the camera lens, that everyone knew what he was up to and that in the USA it wouldn't go over at all because he would be paying the price; probably doing time in prison. However, there are really no laws against screwing the rest of the world in West Africa. BTW, that last statement is not what was stated by Stone Phillips . . . Those are my own words.

Jun 6, 2008, 08:44 AM

LOL! Rome that is great! I have to remember that one!

Jun 6, 2008, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam DePecan
    I saw on CNN or one those TV Stations (The one that has Stone Phillips) where he actually went there to Nigeria and challenged one of those scam artists. He told the culprit, right in front of the camera lens, that everyone knew what he was up to and that in the USA it wouldn't go over at all because he would be paying the price; probably doing time in prison. However, there are really no laws against screwing the rest of the world in West Africa. BTW, that last statement is not what was stated by Stone Phillips . . . Those are my own words.
    Hi Sam,

It's so scarry that there are so many malicious people out there who pull these scams. I feel bad for the people who really think that these things are for real, and they get cheated by these sickos.

Jun 6, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Yeah, but if you just analyze what they are saying, you will quickly ascertain that most of them do not know how to write. The scariest (and unfortunately the best; if you want to categorize it at that.) is when they send you a message that has the BofA or Wells Fargo Logo and they actually want to warn you of someone trying to do some kind of electronic transactions with your banking account. Thus, they need for you to verify your PIN and your home address, etc. . . . . . . So that they can protect your assets . . . . . . And btw, they are writing you from the Security Department. It's so phony; yet, it is very professional looking. They have the proper logo and they will even have some kind of ad about their special mortgage rates and all kinds of interest-free balogney, etc. It's all a bunch of garbage. Never deal with any bank on such terms like that. Never. Anyway, no bank or credit union is going to be sending you any kind of message such as that, asking you for personal information; such that you will just simply respond to it electronically. That is a big fat no-no!!!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 11:46 AM
    There's scammers every where and they know how to talk and dress and any body can easily be fooled. I believe in the saying if its too good to be true, then most likely its not. People sometimes get caught up in things because sometimes they ar desperate.

In Long Island there scammers scaming people out theirs houses, families, my friend is going through this and she is still fighting in court. It sad because she's married with 4 kids and is paying lawyer because the law don't protect people when this happens, luckily she is one of the lucky ones that is wining, but it took a year and a lot of money.
    bennyhill38 Posts: 6, Reputation: -2

Sep 18, 2009, 11:06 PM
    Well I have became a victum of circumstance I guess. I guess I have been suckered, but getting wise. I have sent money and gotten screwed of course. However I still want to marry a Philipino woman so I am very reluctant now. I feel there are honest philipino women out there and are labeled because of these other scammers. Is there a true way of filtering them out?
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Sep 18, 2009, 11:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyhill38 View Post
    Well I have became a victum of circumstance I guess. I guess I have been suckered, but getting wise. I have sent money and gotten screwed of course. However I still want to marry a Philipino woman so I am very reluctant now. I feel there are honest philipino women out there and are labled because of these other scammers. Is there a true way of filtering them out? bennyhill38 :mad:
    Philippines is a poor country so stories of survival are jaw dropping and heart wrenching for people from well off countries like US. As ylaira said, some maybe true, partially true and exaggerated. Filipinos are not direct so when it comes to money matters, they just imply and don't ask.

1. Choose who you talk to...
    2. Avoid those who got no job but got kids. In the Philippines, when couple separates, women got the kids and don't fight enough for child support so they have to raise kids on their own. So when you talk you feel she's implying she needs money.
    3. Avoid those who got no job and eldest in the family of 9. Eldest in the family are expected to take over their parents job as it gets older. Parents mentality are "My kid will take care of me when I get old" and eldest s thinking is " I have to help my parents". So when you talk you feel she's implying she needs money.
    4. Avoid those who got no job and seems like born with a twin of misfortune ("My daddy died", "I'm sick", "I was mugged", "My sister had a life threatening accident"). So when you talk you feel she's implying she needs money.
    5. Avoid those who got no job and got a soap operatic life story: raped, been working in the field since 6 years old, lived in a grass hut, walks without a shoes on her way to school, currently making bare pesos out of help but had time to rent computer to chat. So when you talk you feel she's implying she needs money.
    6. Avoid those who said they got a job but always sound she doesn't have enough. Filipino's culture is to share when you're making the most or the only one who got some luck in life. So when you talk you feel she's implying she needs money.

In short, choose self-sufficient ones and use your head. You'll know and you'll feel as you go along who really loves your company not because you're an English speaking / ATM man.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Modeling scams [ 42 Answers ]

HELP!! My husband just signed up with Model Search America for a convention in Vegas. They are charging $1200 for this! Does anyone have experience with this company or know anything about the business? Everything about it feels like a scam... HELP.

Finding out about scams [ 4 Answers ]

What is the page where you can find out if those notices you get that says don't open this or that is a scam or not?

Philippine Insurrection [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if any one has come across a good site to do reseach on this war? I have found this war to be hard to research. Thanks. :o

View more questions Search