Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    punkrawkdude99 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Wiring issue going to a hunter 44155c
    Hello,

Here is my issue I had an old mercury type honeywell thermostat... when I took it apart it had 6 wires connected to it...

A black one which is connecte to G
    A blue one which I have connected to nothing
    A red one connected to RH... that is jumpered to rc
    Orange connected to Y/O
    White connected to W/B
    Yellow connected to Y1

I have no idea if this is correct... the heat comes on for sure but doesn't shut off when the desired temp is reached

The a/c comes on but I am not sure it is pumping out cold air... this too doesn't shut off when the desired temp is reached... it appears like the a/c part shuts off but the fan keeps running

The one thing about the old unit I noticed and did not under stand where the orange and white wires... white connected to the center post on the right side of the honeywell but then also connected to the bottom one where the orange was too... does this make sense..

The unit is a trane and from what I can read on the front is appears like it has an electric heater in it

I do notice when I turn the heat button on it makes this noise like water rushing though the pipes and the pipes get really hot for a bit but eventually cool down... the same thing happens when I put it on a/c except the pipes stay really cold...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also when you disconnected y1 it appears like everything still comes on and I'm checking to see if the same issue exists about not turning off
    wolfcandy2 Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2008, 03:46 PM
    The wires are crossed... you only need three wires to make both heat and air work red white and white

Jan 27, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfcandy2
    The wires are crossed....you only need three wires to make both heat and air work red white and white
    Red white and black? Why were there 6 connected to begin with?

Jan 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
    I have 8 wires going to my thermo and don't know why that is when you need three... red for power,there should be 2 white ones that's for heat and air... I think green is the temp switch

Jan 27, 2008, 04:00 PM
    I have 8 wires going to my thermo and dont know why that is when you need three......red for power,there should be 2 white ones thats for heat and air....I think green is the temp switch
    These are the only colors I have and where they are connected

A black one which is connected to G
    A blue one which I have connected to nothing
    A red one connected to RH... that is jumpered to rc
    Orange connected to Y/O
    White connected to W/B
    Yellow connected to Y1

Jan 27, 2008, 04:04 PM
    Are those the wires coming from the wall or what came into the thermo

Jan 27, 2008, 04:30 PM
    are those the wires coming from the wall or what came into the thermo

They are the ones from the wall that connect to the unit... when the old honeywell one was there it used all 6...

Jan 27, 2008, 04:31 PM
    You may have to replace it with another honeywell

Jan 28, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Does anyone else have an opinion on this?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 04:24 PM
    If you have a heat pump you will need more that 3 wires.

Look at the beginning of this board for wiring colors and what they mean.

If it is cold in your area do not try and run the A/C to test. You might damage it.

One of the wires controls the reversing valve in the heat pump. This is where your problem could be. It could be interchanged or placed on the wrong area.

Check sticky notes and you may have to trace the wires down since not all HVAC guys use the correct wiring code.

Jan 28, 2008, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    If you have a heat pump you will need more that 3 wires.

Look at the beginning of this board for wiring colors and what they mean.

If it is cold in your area do not try and run the A/C to test. You might damage it.

One of the wires controls the reversing valve in the heat pump. This is where your problem could be. It could be interchanged or placed on the wrong area.

Check sticky notes and you may have to trace the wires down since not all HVAC guys use the correct wiring code.

Do you have any idea why the orange and white would be jumpered together on the bottom post of the old honeywell...

You might be right about the a/c not getting cold due to it being so cold outside...

The heater does come on and heat up but the unit never shuts down...

What is a heat pump how do you figure out if you have one?
    Why do the two pipes going into the trane unit get really hot like hot water is gushing into the system when I flip the thermostat switch over to heat?

Jan 28, 2008, 05:17 PM
    ((why do the two pipes going into the trane unit get really hot like hot water is gushing into the system when I flip the thermostat switch over to heat?))
    ((what is a heat pump how do you figure out if you have one? ))

You answered your own question. You have a heat pump.Hot lines indicate a heat pump in the heat pump mode.

((you might be right about the a/c not getting cold due to it being so cold outside... ))

A/C is are not designed to run in cold temperatures. The same unit running in the heat pump mode is OK just do not switch to A/C when cold.

((the heater does come on and heat up but the unit never shuts down.))

It is not reaching the temp set for at the thermostat OR something is wired wrong OR the fan relay is defective.

((do you have any idea why the orange and white would be jumpered together on the bottom post of the old honeywell... ))

NO unless someone modified the wiring for a reason or it would not work any other way.

All out on this one. Below is you next job.

Jan 28, 2008, 05:46 PM
    ((why do the two pipes going into the trane unit get really hot like hot water is gushing into the system when i flip the thermostat switch over to heat?))
    ((what is a heat pump how do you figure out if you have one??))

You answered your own question. You have a heat pump.Hot lines indicate a heat pump in the heat pump mode.

((you might be right about the a/c not getting cold due to it being so cold outside...))

A/C is are not designed to run in cold temperatures. The same unit running in the heat pump mode is OK just do not switch to A/C when cold.

((the heater does come on and heat up but the unit never shuts down.))

It is not reaching the temp set for at the thermostat OR something is wired wrong OR the fan relay is defective.

((do you have any idea why the orange and white would be jumpered together on the bottom post of the old honeywell....))

NO unless someone modified the wiring for a reason or it would not work any other way.

All out on this one. Below is you next job.

There is one thing... let say you have a program set... heat the room to 68... and you manually override it to 72 or something... the heat will stay on even when it hits 72 75 80... then only way it will shut off is when the program hits that next 4 hour time limit and it drops back down to 68

Also there are settings behind the thermostat
    Hg and he... its on hg but am not sure what it should be on
    Std and hp... I assume I have to switch this to HP... right now I switched it back to std for testing

Jan 28, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Hunter thermostats are JUNK to start with. Buy a good stat. Honeywell or White Rodgers. Your temp should not vary that much.

Jan 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Hunter thermostats are JUNK to start with. Buy a good stat. Honeywell or White Rodgers. Your temp should not vary that much.
    I understand that the hunter is garbage but at this point it is all I could afford

Jan 29, 2008, 03:04 PM
    ((I understand that the hunter is garbage but at this point it is all I could afford))

I understand the economy of things today. Sometimes it is better just not to have something until you can afford the best.

Jan 29, 2008, 03:24 PM
    ((i understand that the hunter is garbage but at this point it is all i could afford))

I understand the economy of things today. Sometimes it is better just not to have something until you can afford the best.

I by nature don't give up until I make something work

Jan 29, 2008, 04:40 PM
    I have always been called a bull headed person so I guess we are in the same boat. Good luck with your project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thermostat Wiring, Hunter 44155c [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Having issues wiring my new thermostat. I've got the heat/ac to switch on but I had to mess with it some. I have a G, R, B, Y & W wire coming to my thermostat. My thermostat has a G, RC, RH, Y/O, W/B & Y1 port. This is what I messed with: AC worked: G to G, R to RC, B to RH, Y to...

Hunter 44155C Wiring - A/C turns on during heat cycle or heat will not shut off [ 0 Answers ]

Trying this again with the correct thermostat specs. Sorry, guys! It's a Hunter 44155C and the wires I have going into it are: White - W/B Red - Rh Green - G Yellow - Y1 Jumper from Rh-Rc

Wiring issues with Hunter 44155c. [ 5 Answers ]

I am having wiring issues with Hunter 44155c. I thought I had it but my heater does not seem to be functioning. It may be the circuit breaker. My old wires are red, green, white, blue, and yellow. How do I place them on the hunter 44155c.

Hunter 44155c wiring issues [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace an old rheem thermostat with a hunter Model 44155C. The wiring colors are confusing to a novice like me. There are five wires: red, green, blue, yellow and white. The hunter thermostat has connections for RH, RC, G, Y/O, W/B, and Y1. The only two wires that I am relatively...

Wiring issue with a Hunter Ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me. I just moved into a brand new home and the Master Bedroom is pre-wired for a ceiling fan. It has two wall switches, one to control the light and one for the fan. The Hunter fan has a black, a white, a black/white and two green wires. The prewire...

View more questions Search