Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjsutton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Fireplace repair
    I have a 3 yr old home with a fireplace that while poking wood we stabbed a crack in the back "fake brick" piece in the back. Now the crack is getting bigger. How do I fix this, is it a fire hazard?
    wizbang Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pjsutton
    I have a 3 yr old home with a fireplace that while poking wood we stabbed a crack in the back "fake brick" piece in the back. Now the crack is getting bigger. How do I fix this, is it a fire hazard?
    What you have is probably a pre-fab fireplace. You will need to get the make and model number of the fireplace. Contact them and have them send you a new panel.
    lpiano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 06:10 PM
    I have a prefab type fireplace to and have the same issue with a couple cracks in the firebrick. I would think that there would be some type of concrete type filler to repair this without dismantling the back of the fireplace that seems like a big job to do that, anyone have any other ideas?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Wiz has it right. Do not try to patch this panel with refractory cement, it will just keep cracking as the panel heats and cools. I have replaced panels before and it is remarkably easy. Majestic gave me a new panel at no chrage because I mentioned a hairline crack before it banged it larger with a poorly tossed log.
    lpiano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Thanks for the answer to my question. This fireplace is around 20 years old made by Superior I hope I can get a replacement panel for it.

Jan 11, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Alive and going strong. Superior Fireplaces
    debbyrd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 12:30 PM
    So, stupid question here... how can I tell the manufacturer of the fireplace? I am having the same issue with a hole in the fake brick. Thanks.

Jan 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
    So you do not have the instruction book that came with the unit? Does this fireplace have heat recirculating grills top and bottom?
    debbyrd Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
    No, the house is 25 years old and I have only been there a bit over a year. Not sure where the circulating grills are.

Jan 24, 2008, 01:22 PM
    The grills, if it's a heat recirculator, will be louvers the width of the fire box opening. The top grill or louver allows heat out into the room and the lower grill brings in cold air off the floor area.
    Snow_death Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

Jan 31, 2008, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    The grills, if its a heat recirculator, will be louvers the width of the fire box opening. The top grill or louver allows heat out into the room and the lower grill brings in cold air off the floor area.
    I have the same problem, mine does have a reciculator, but the back so so cracked it doesn't blow air out the top. I can't find my make or model number anywhere...

Feb 1, 2008, 10:13 AM
    If you have a recirculator you can remove the lower louver and look for a label inside th cavity, use a flashlight.
    Snow_death Posts: 43, Reputation: 0

Feb 1, 2008, 10:28 AM
    I am sorry, this is a stupid question but how do I remove it? I don't see any screws on the top or front.

Feb 1, 2008, 11:14 AM
    They can be different but on mine you just lift evenly on the lower louver. There are some pins top and bottom that hold it in position, when you lift the bottom pins come out of there holes. Once raised just pull out at the bootm edge.
    BWinkler Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2008, 08:42 PM
    I, too, am having this problem. We bought the house knowing that the fireplace was unusable. The back bricks are cracked and crumbling. I have a Superior insert, but have had no luck finding an insert from the manufactor. I did find a fireplace brick liner by Vanguard. Do you think that would work? Also, I've found cast iron panels that you place at the back of your fireplace to protect the brick work. Would this work, or is the damage too much for one of the cast iron panels?

Mar 4, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Sorry Winkler, I missed the fact that this was still active. Can you give me a link to the Vanguard liner and/or the cast iron panels. They may work but I would need to see more info.
    BWinkler Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Here is the link to where I found the vanguard inserts
    Vanguard 32'' Fireplace Brick Liner Kit - HFL3 : Homeclick

And here is a link for cast iron panels
    Fireplace Firebacks | Pennsylvania Firebacks | Cast Iron Fireback

Mar 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Both would probably work for you. Vanguard does not tell me much about the material they use but it must be heat proof. Depending on the thickness of the Vanguard material you might leave the old crumbly stuff in place too.
    osirao Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BWinkler
    I, too, am haveing this problem. We bought the house knowing that the fireplace was unusable. The back bricks are cracked and crumbling. I have a Superior insert, but have had no luck finding an insert from the manufactor. I did find a fireplace brick liner by Vanguard. Do you think that would work? Also, I've found cast iron panels that you place at the back of your fireplace to protect the brick work. Would this work, or is the damage to much for one of the cast iron panels?
    Another option for you, would be to remove the old refactory and reline it with the thin firebrick, using a wire mesh as backing.
    allimax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2011, 02:47 AM
    I rebuild these . The best way to repair these fireplaces is to remove all the panels and replace them with real firebrick "splits" 1 and 1/4 inch thick . I rebuild these .
    I'm seeing more and more of them needing to be rebuilt . I have pictures and details on how to repair them if anyone wants to see them . 43 years in the Masonry trades . Semi retired .
    Alan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4 asking about the highest safe temputure for a fireplace,the fireplace I have is fairly thick as it sticks outside of house plus what is inside the house,the house was built in 1924had a chimney sweep look at it and he sid it was all right,thank,s

Fireplace damper [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4,I was wondering if there is ratio that you use to determine the size and how much you can close up the throat of a fireplace to make it more efficentor do you just play it ear,i.e. close it up until it smokes then back off,thank,s

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I have an existing fireplace (insert) w/ a brick chimney. It is fairly old, but in decent shape except for the back wall of the insert itself. It appears to be nothing more than concrete or mortar of some type over top of the back metal wall of the fireplace. It is cracked and has several plugs...

Fireplace repair/replacement [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this should be here or in the construction forum but... We have a brick fireplace on our house that is spalling. The prior owner painted the brick with regular housepaint instead of masonry paint so the bricks could breathe. There are some cracked fire bricks in the back of the...

Fireplace [ 1 Answers ]

I bought my townhouse, new in 1991 direct from the builder. The fireplace came with the townhouse and is now 12 years old. Here is my problem, In the front left & right corners of the bottom of the fireplace where the floor of the fireplace and metal frame come together there is a gap of about...

View more questions Search