Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    integrity1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 06:31 AM
    No hot water in shower. Frozen?
    I need help! I have water sitting in my tub... I have a bathroom over a basement which sits on an outside wall. My shower pipes do not have an access panel. My shower will not produce hot water.. nothing comes out.. the tub won't drain. I can get hot water from the sink in the bathroom and the kitchen. Do I have a frozen pipe? How can I protect it so it won't bust? How can I fix this problem and/or prevent it?

New home owner,
    Melody
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Cold weather brings water woes. I can't tell you how to fix it, but I can tell you that the problem will go away once everything warms up outside. In the meantime, the next time you have a cold wave where the temp outside gets to about 15 above zero, start leaving your cold water turned on to a very fast trickle. This will keep the water flowing and keep the pipes from freezing.

Outside walls are tricky to keep warm. You might have to resort to putting some insulation in the wall or wrapping the pipes. Am mystified that it's only the hot water. You didn't mention if the tub gets cold water. Also have you tried plunging the tub?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Twinkiedooter... hot water always freezes before cold water... I know it sounds odd but it is the way it is.

Here, the cold water is heated which causes the cold water to lose oxygen and then when it becomes cold water again it has less kinetic energy than similar cold water that has not been heated to 120 degrees and therefore hot pipe freezes before cold water pipe. That is how it was explained to me anyway... AND I must note that almost all freeze ups that I have repaired are hot water pipes... not all, but most!

Hey, you've been very nice to me and I appreciate it.. hope you find this a positive post cause that is how it was intended! Take care!. Mark
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Hey Mass - yep I did forget the old hot water freezes faster. I did that experiment when I was a kid in Penna a million years ago. Have had a horrible sinus infection for the past month and sometimes my thinking gets fuzzy and I fade in and out at times. Any suggestions how to unclog my sinus? Sans doctor visit, that is?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frozen water pipes [ 3 Answers ]

My pipes froze and now that there thawed out all I get is brownis colored water. What is the problem??

Water feed to Ice Maker is frozen [ 8 Answers ]

My ice maker quit making ice. Water is getting to the fridge, icemaker on, couldn't figure it out. Then I noticed there was an "icycle" sticking out from the tube feeding the icemaker. Its frozen. I don't want to turn the freezer off. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Frozen water line in ice maker [ 1 Answers ]

I know this has been asked several times and I've read the answers there. I have an Amana side-by-side. After a huge water issue with leaking saddle valve this summer (and after having our entire first floor hardwood replaced!! ), I'm having trouble. They gave me, I believe, a T valve? ...

Maybe frozen pipes causing no water to toilet [ 1 Answers ]

Temperature was 29 degrees when we had no power for two days and no water for 3 days. When power and water was turned back on, the bathroom flushed OK for about 3 times. Then it stopped filling with water and will not flush. The bathroom sink has water coming in right next to the toilet. Could...

Water valve frozen [ 2 Answers ]

My main shutoff water valve is frozen. I would like to try and replace the ball and stem without replacing the entire water valve. Is this possible? Robert

View more questions Search