Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom22 Posts: 45, Reputation: 4

Jan 21, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Frost on interior walls
    We've been in our home for nearly three years. Don't ask me how I've noticed this before but we actually get frost on a couple of areas of the downstairs walls. Also there is a lot of cold air moving around the bottom of the baseboards in the downstairs. Anyone know causes and solutions for these problems?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Hey mom, sounds like little or no insulation in those walls, probably no vapor barrier either. Tell us about the interior of the home, drywall? How about the exterior of the house. Aluminim siding or wood?

Jan 21, 2008, 07:25 PM
    The interior walls are drywall and not done very well. You can see where all the seams were taped. The exterior is aluminum siding for the most part. Some wood on the front of the house but the back and sides (where we're having this problem) is siding.

Jan 22, 2008, 10:38 AM
    Sounds like we need to attack the problem from the inside. The fix is not difficult but it would make a mess. 2' holes need to be made at the top and bottom of each wall cavity between the studs. You can use a hole saw and save the plugs, we'll need then later. You can rent a insulation blower from stores selling blown in insulation. They will give you the detailed instruction but you need to blow the stuff down each cavity from the top. When you are done the plugs can be reinstalled by getting a 4" long strip of 3/8" plywood through the hole and laying flat on the back side of the drywall. A drywall screw above and below each hole will hold the plywood and then put you plug back in place with one screw, now level with compound. Of course this also means you'll need to paint unless you like the white cup sized splotches on the wall. Prime the walls with a ceiling paint called a paintible vapor barrier. Let me know if I went too fast.

Jan 22, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Yikes! Sounds like you and I have different ideas about "not difficult" means.
    Any idea you know how much all that would cost?
    Can I just move instead?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 22, 2008, 08:22 PM
    I totally agree with ballengerb1 on this. This is the easiest way to accomplish what you need done.

I wouldn't change a thing, however our ideas of what easy for us and others will vary , just because this is what we do. Its definitely something you want to prepare yourself for and know exactly what all the stages are before you dive right in. You can rent the tools a Lowe's and they can give you a demo of how to use it. As for the sheetrock stage of this. If you've never done it before... your going to hate it , and swear to never do it again, and once you get done with that, you'll need to sand it. There will be more hatefullness and swearing but you'll get through it. Patience is a virtue... and sheetrock the first time will take it. Good luck
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2008, 12:24 AM
    Bb: 2 foot holes are awfully big.

Jan 23, 2008, 02:47 PM
    KISS, you got me and now its too late fir me to edit. I meant a 2" hole. Hope mom didn't think I was talking about a 2 footer.

Feb 5, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Bb, can you tell me how much you would charge for this kind of project? I know it will be a rough estimate. Thanks.

Feb 5, 2008, 11:52 AM
    I can't even begin to guess since I know nothing about labor costs in your area and availabliity of materials. Like any home repair job I'd get 3 estimates from folks in the yellow pages. I call the guys with the biggest adds since they likely have the most business. I think you once said you were from Bolingbrook, try Wall Fill in Wheaton, Il.
    floppyfish27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
    By any chance was your home built by ryland? I Live in Lockport, IL and I have the same problem with frost on my interior walls which I am baffled by

Feb 10, 2008, 11:18 AM
    I don't know who the builder was. But we're in Bolingbrook so it's possible we have the same builder. I don't know how to find out who the builder was.

Feb 10, 2008, 07:06 PM
    Many homes were built in your areas in the late 60s and early 70s. Those builders took their profits and ran like hell. Many were building 1000 homes per year and weren't known for quality and cut most every corner you could cut and still pass a building inspection. Your original builder will be listed on the plans still on file in your town's building inspectors department.

Feb 10, 2008, 08:25 PM
    Thanks, bb. Wish my realtor could've told me that before we bought here.

Feb 10, 2008, 08:29 PM
    Realtors actually work for the seller and its not in their interest to tell you too much. A good home inspector is invaluable when buying an older home. You are on a good track right now and fixting what's needed. Your home will be worth more when you are done so just stick to it.

Feb 11, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Well the fixing is coming along slowly. We don't have the funds and the problems are piling up. We did have a home inspection, for what it is was worth---not much we're finding. Anyway thanks for the info on finding the builder. Turns out to be a company called Hoffman Group which is now Lakewood Builders. Do you know anything about them, bb?
    jp233 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2011, 12:58 PM
    Have the same problem in my home. We've fought it for the first 6 years of owning this home. Very frustrating for owning a new home.

I've added insulation to the attic, that helped a little. I've drilled holes in those spots and tried to fill the wall cavity with expanding foam... that really didn't do it.

Now I'm wondering if I remove my vinyl siding on the outside of the house and cover the exterior with another tyvex wrap and then some foam sheeting if that will get it? Our bathroom in the northwest corner of the house is the worst and I'm thinking about tearing it all out! It's so aggravating. Our builder was terrible.

I think the framer doubled the 2x4 on the tops of the walls and air is coming in through those gaps in the wood.

Thoughts?
    Curler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 07:55 AM
    Our Curling Club has frost on the interior of the exterior Concrete block walls. They are not insulated. Will a dehumidifier stop the frost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removal of plaster from interior brick walls [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had success removing plaster from interior brick walls to expose the brick beneath? Would like to have the brick as the finished surface when removal is complete. It looks like a major portion of the plaster can be removed with a flat shovel. Are chemicals needed to remove the rest, or...

Faced Insulation on Interior walls [ 3 Answers ]

I'm doing a remodel of my kitchen and family room. I would like to add some insulation to some interior walls to control sound. I have some left over rolls of faced insulation from another project. Is there any reason you can't use faced insulation on interior walls? Thanks Scott

Painting interior walls [ 2 Answers ]

Does painting an interior wall with two coats of paint instead of only one change the color. For example, does it make the wall color darker, deeper, etc. If the wall color is brighter than you expected, will two coats of paint darken the color a little? Or are you just stuck picking another...

Frost on the inside [ 2 Answers ]

I have a question Id like to see if anyone can help me with before I call a service tech. On the inside of my A/C unit where it meets up with the furnace I have a lot of frost build up on the copper lines. I am new to the central air and have always had swamp coolers. I changed the filter and...

Interior walls [ 6 Answers ]

Is it okay to insulate the interior walls of a basement? How many outlets to a 15 amp and a 20 amp breaker? Is it okay to use 12 gauge wire for the breakers? I'm running wiring to a bath, small kitchen, 1 bedroom, living room and home music studio. And is better to add more outlets to a room or...

View more questions Search