Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    v8_dave Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2008, 09:07 PM
    Gas furnace not blowing hot air
    Hello, I am visiting my uncle and his natural gas furnace is not working for forced air heating. There is hot water in the house, but I cannot get heat. I replaced the thermostat and can't even get the blower to operate in ON, never mind AUTO. He says it has been very temperamental lately where it won't start with the blower in auto and he has had to reset the main breaker and play with the thermostat.

Any tips for diagnosis tomorrow? I plan to try to jumpstart the blower to see if the motor is fine. Thanks guys, I have 24hrs to fix this problem for him. :)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 19, 2008, 09:34 PM
    Check for 24 volts a the transformer. Brand and model of unit?

Jan 19, 2008, 10:56 PM
    I will check that all in the morning. Thanks for the help!

Also, I noticed the fan does not come on for a/c use either.

Jan 20, 2008, 03:11 PM
    OK, I think I diagnosed it pretty sufficiently; the blower motor hums loudly and locks up solid even after spinning it freely. So are you thinking the motor is bad or the capacitor?

It is a 2001 Bryant 383K.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 20, 2008, 04:21 PM
    Motor lock up = bad motor. Replace the motor and the correct capacitor at the same time.

Jan 20, 2008, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Motor lock up = bad motor. Replace the motor and the correct capacitor at the same time.
    OK, thank you! It also spits out a code 12. I will have him call a service tech after the holiday.
    Moose1123 Posts: 33, Reputation: 4

Jan 20, 2008, 05:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by v8_dave
    Hello, I am visiting my uncle and his natural gas furnace is not working for forced air heating. There is hot water in the house, but I cannot get heat. I replaced the thermostat and can't even get the blower to operate in ON, never mind AUTO. He says it has been very temperamental lately where it wont start with the blower in auto and he has had to reset the main breaker and play with the thermostat.

Any tips for diagnosis tomorrow? I plan to try to jumpstart the blower to see if the motor is fine. Thanks guys, I have 24hrs to fix this problem for him. :)
    I have a similar problem. I have a York Diamond 80 Furnace. My heater will come on but the blower does not put out the air movement. My blower motor is run off 120VAC and uses a starting Capacitor. I have removed the start capacitor and found it to be bad. You can find the procedures for how to test a capacitor on the internet. I was unable to find a supply store that carried the capacitor I need so I ordered one online. I have not received it yet, so I can not tell you if my motor is faulty as well. Yet, that is a place for you to start.
    golfmeister Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2008, 10:00 AM
    Furnace motor quit. I turned off electricity to furnace, spun squirrel cage, turned elect. Back on and the blower worked. After a few hours blower went out again, Now spinning squirrel cage does not fix problem. How do I test 1) Blower motor, or 2) Capacitor?
    The furnace is 5 years old (3spd with AC)
    dhaniyal Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Hi
    I have same problem. I started noticing lately whenever heater is running motor was running loud(like something is rattling) today we had burnt smell and heater is not blowing any hot air anymore but it looks like everything turns on igniters etc. I put it in a/c mode blower works in that mode. I’m not sure if it is exhausted motor or something else. My unit is York Diamond 80 Model# P4HUC20118001B (heater a/c comined) and about 4 years old. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I also like to know if someone can help me find a parts catalog or service manual on line.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 06:30 PM
    Golfmiester,dhaniyl you should each start your on thread, you will get more responses.

Golfmiester,
    To test capacitor,
    Disconnect all wires to capacitor,
    With a multimeter, set to resistance, (that the little horseshoe),
    Simultaneously touch one lead to each terminal on capacitor.
    It doesn't matter which one,
    Reverse the leads and touch again.
    If the capacitor is good the needle will show a momentary flow of current.
    northern62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2011, 11:23 AM
    My new gas furnace doesn't get hot ! The air comes out cold to warm and that's it ! Every time it come on, its cold air to warm and that's it. James

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My gas furnace is blowing cold air [ 11 Answers ]

:eek: my furnace is blowing cold air. Last night I noticed that my furnace was shuting off when the thermostat read 64 degrees. But we had the therm. Set to 70 degrees. Now today it is only blowing cold air I have tried turning it on and off again to spark some flame? That did nothing. Now the...

Furnace not blowing hot air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a intertherm Central Electric furnace Model FEW-015H Voltage supply 240 volts Heating output 53,000BTUH Appliance No.F000551240.It is only throwing out warm air.It run all of the time to heat the trailer up.Before husband died it threw out hot air and took no time to warm trailer up.

Furnace not blowing. [ 5 Answers ]

Please HELP!! I am a single mother of 2 and I have a problem. My thermostate is set at 72 degrees. The house temp is at 71 and the sound of the burner can be heard as if the furnace will kick out hot air any minute. Yet, the fan does not come on and start blowing air through the vents. What...

Furnace fan keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

Carrier Furnace. My furnace blower stays on after shutdown. Keep getting a code 33 which says flame rollout switch is open. How do I bypass them or tell if they are bad? Had control board replaced afew months ago. If I let the system sit a couple of hours, it will usually reset. Please help.

Fuse in furnace blowing [ 4 Answers ]

My buddy has a payne heat pump system with a payne air handler and every time the heat is turned on at the termostat the fuse blows in the air handler cabinet. The fuse will not blow if emergency heat is turned on or the a/c what is the problem here? I have been working in hvac for six years but...

View more questions Search