Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeswife Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 08:32 AM
    Adding name to Car Title
    Can I add my husbands name to my car title, or anyone else's name for that matter?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Hi, Joeswife,
    In the State of VA, both of you would have to go to the Division of Motor Vehicles office nearest you; that is, if you have the title. You would both sign agreements, then a new title would be mailed to you, or printed out right there.
    If you owe the bank (or another money), then the bank has the title, and you both would go see them.
    Normally, they will have to have his signature in order to add him to the title, or the signature (if not a minor), of any other person.
    Best of luck.
    sugabear00805 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2006, 09:45 AM
    Yea all you have to do is go to your local dmv and tell them. Your going to need his signature and pay some gift taxes.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sugabear00805
    Your going to need his signature and pay some gift taxes.
    This is not nesseasrilly true. It depends on the car's value and the place you live. For example, here in Ontario (Canada?), you can give a person a gift of up to $11,000/year tax free. You are giving your husband 50%, so if the car is not worth more than $22,000, then no tax needs to be paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
    For the US, first the car will have to be paid off, ( no loans on it)

Then you and the person you want on the title go down together to the DMV and have them added.

This is assumingyou are merely adding their name and not taking yours off. If you are talking yours off, that is "selling" the car and you merely sign the title over to them on the back of the title ( in most states) and they take it to the DMV.

I do not know of anywhere you can title it in someone's name and they not know about it
    Joestang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2010, 08:33 AM
    I have a car that is in my name. The car is twelve years old and I would like to add my wife's name to the title. I live in Florida. What do I need to do?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 5, 2010, 02:23 AM
    Anyone who has a new question, please start a separate thread rather than asking your question on the thread of someone else. This place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. New questions need to be asked by starting new threads.

Also, this thread is really old and archived, so it's no longer visible on the list of currently active threads. I just now happened to notice that there had been activity on it.

This thread is now CLOSED.

Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a sub panel [ 6 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement which will have a 60x20 room and a 10x9 bathroom. I'm running 20 amp breakers,12-2 wire, 20 amp outlets. 2 breakers for 20 outlets ( 10 outlets a breaker). 1 breaker for 8 2x4 flourecents. 1 breaker for GFI ( for my freazer).

Adding a GFI [ 1 Answers ]

In my breaker box for my pool pump, there is a GFI outlet. Would it be possible to daisy chain another GFI outlet off it? I am wanting to put an outlet about sixty feet from where the box is at by my pool.

Adding outside air to house [ 5 Answers ]

Is there any way to inexpensively add outside air to a home. For instance can I just tie a 1" or 2" pvc pipe from outside to my return duct to add outside air. I am not sure if this is a crazy question or not but it would seem OK. I live in the Philadelphia area so it can get pretty cold - so...

Adding bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add another bathroom on my main floor. Just a sink and toilet. The house is fairly long and all the plumbing pipe are toward the middle and where I want to put the new bath is toward the back which is about 30 feet away from all the piping. Water line are no problem but my concern was the...

View more questions Search