Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    VictorLy Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Jan 18, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Grammar: "Work with Ceramic" or "Work with Ceramics?"
    Hello, Everyone,
    I have a quick question regarding English grammar. In a sentence, should it be "work with ceramic" or "work with ceramics?" For example, the sentence is "I would like to draw, paint, and work with ceramic(s)." Which is the correct one?

Thank you,
    Victor Ly
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Ceramics
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2008, 05:30 PM
    I believe that "work with ceramic" is correct in the example you give.

Haha, we posted at the same time.

... maybe we should wait for a tie-breaking opinion :)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 05:31 PM
    Uh oh.

But I'm correct...
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 18, 2008, 05:40 PM
    "ceramic" when it's an adjective -- any one of various hard, brittle, heat-resistant and corrosion-resistant materials made by shaping and then firing a nonmetallic mineral, such as clay, at a high temperature:
    Work with a ceramic medium
    The ceramic arts

"ceramics" when it's a noun -- the art or technique of making objects of ceramic, especially from fired clay:
    Work with ceramics, pottery, and sculpture
    Did the Aztecs work with ceramics?
    The art of ceramics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C or Heat does not work w/thermostat set "on" or "auto". [ 22 Answers ]

A/C or Heat doesn't work in "on" or "auto". Fan will not come on at the "on" position either. I changed the batteries in the thermostat. I also read somewhere to disconnect the "Y" and hold it to the "R" on the thermostat for two minutes. That will tell me if the thermostat is the problem. ...

IE7 keeps going into "work offline" mode [ 3 Answers ]

I will use IE7 for a while and all works well. End session. Next time I fire it up, the "Work Offline" option under the File menu is checked active and I don't connect. After resetting this flag I connect and all continues as expected. May not happen for awhile but then several days later......

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Convert a lamp to work on a "hot" switch via pull chain [ 1 Answers ]

My builder wired a light in an arch way with a "hot" outlet. We put our pool table underneath the archway and now need to add a pool table lamp fixture. All the ones I can find require a light switch. Because the archway if solid wood there was no way to wire it to a switch so the builder told...

View more questions Search