Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkdgal Posts: 51, Reputation: 13

Jul 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
    My friend's abusive stepmother?
    I just got back from a sleepover at my friend's house over the weekend. We had a lot of fun, except most of the time I felt very uncomfortable with her mother and the way she ran the household. My friend's sister was CONSTANTLY verbally abused, being called stupid, being told she had no brain, and even called ugly and fat and useless. Plus, she was smacked on the head numerous times in front of me, and I think she was spanked in the bathroom way too much or too hard (I heard crying and slight yelling). My friend she punched on the hand, and pulled on the hair and also verbally abused. The mother was arguing with the father a lot also. Now, this is my friend's stepmother. My friend's father seemed all right, he didn't seem abusive in any way. But the stepmother was absolutely horrible, and I don't know what to do... is it normal for parents to treat their kids like this, so strict and abusive? Or am I just lucky to have parents that don't lay a hand on me and constantly tell me they love me and hug me? Please answer, because if my friend is in danger, I'd like to know what to do ASAP. Thanks! :)
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 02:24 PM
    No that is not normal. I would confide in your parents about what happened and see what they think should be done. If this is the US, typically someone can make an anonymous call to Child Protective Services and the household would be investigated for abuse.

Your friends Stepmother is wrong in the way she treats her stepchildren and you are a very good, caring girl for trying to find out how to help. Please talk to a trusted adult and get some help for your friend.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2007, 07:00 PM
    Talk to a trusted adult ; one of your own parents, one of your teachers (preferably one that also has your friend and/or her sister as students), a counselor at school, your clergyman. Any one of them will be able to guide you as to the proper course of action. It sounds like an abusive situation that should be addressed at once.
    love_struck_princess18 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jan 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
    I think you should tell your parents or maybe someone at school. That is not normal and my family use to take in Kids like that a while back. And we took in Kids like that that had the same problem. At first they are really angry and don't want to be in the new place then they come to find out what a real home is with parents who treat you great. You should tell someone asap so your friend gets help and not hurt.
    tammyris123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2010, 09:41 AM
    My two children were constantly abused by their father's and step-mother when they would go to their house and no one would listen to me (I was just labeled an emotional mother) but if a neutral person would have reported it then it would have made it easier for my kids to get out of that situation a lot sooner. Thanks to a courageous teacher who kept records and reported it they were finally taken away from the abuse. ALWAYS, ALWAYS REPORT IT! The sooner the better.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2010, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tammyris123 View Post
    My two children were constanly abused by their father's and step-mother when they would go to their house and no one would listen to me (I was just labled an emotional mother) but if a neutral person would have reported it then it would have made it easier for my kids to get out of that situation a lot sooner. thanks to a courageous teacher who kept records and reported it they were finally taken away from the abuse. ALWAYS, ALWAYS REPORT IT! The sooner the better.
    This is a very old thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best friend's ex [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a best friend who went out with a girl I know for about a year and a half, and started seeing another girl immediately afterwards (it's been about 6+ months at this point), and I've been pretty good friends with her ever since he introduced me. I've always sort of had a thing for her and...

My Best Friend's Girlfriend [ 1 Answers ]

My best friend is a guy (I am a girl) and he is involved in a long distance relationship with a girl he met (I'll call her Erica) when he lived in the Netherlands last year. Normally, me, him, and my other best friend (a girl we'll call Kelly) hang out together all the time. However, recently we...

My Best Friend's Girlfriend [ 3 Answers ]

My best friend is a guy (I am a girl) and he is involved in a long distance relationship with a girl he met (I'll call her Erica) when he lived in the Netherlands last year. Normally, me, him, and my other best friend (a girl we'll call Kelly) hang out together all the time. However, recently we...

Stepmother Adoption / Custody (FL) [ 9 Answers ]

Ok, this is the deal... My husbands exgirlfriend has never taken interest in her son. When I first started dating my now husband his son son was 3 months old. She was living with her grandparents and took off for days. At one point she dropped him off with us and never looked back. When he was...

Stepmother and Biological Dad's Will [ 3 Answers ]

My dad died recently and I know he had a will. I have heard that my step mother is not going to probate his will. And if she doesn't, I have no way of knowing what was in the will and if my name along with my two brother's names are mentioned and if dad left anything to us at all. My question...

View more questions Search