Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Texas Tom Posts: 46, Reputation: 4

Jan 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
    BiFold Closet Door - Need source for one with 9" Panels
    I'm using a small space in my house to make a small closet. There is only enough width to have a 36" door opening. I would like to use a pair of bifold doors. Each door would have two panels, each 9" wide (4 x 9" = 36"). I'm looking for the type with louvers on the top and solid on the bottom to match other doors on my home's closets.

However, I have not been able to find a source. The smallest panel width in the stores is 12", or 24" for a 2 panel door. I checked at Home Depot to see if they could special order, but they said no. I could use an alternate method. Use one 12" bifold (24" wide) and use only one 12" panel from another 2 panel door.

Does anyone know of a source - store or web - for the 9" bifold doors?

Thanks, Tom
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 15, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Hi there Tom,

I can't help you with a source, but if you can find a door with thick sides, you can cut the doors down to what you need.

Most cheap doors at Lowe's or HD only have 1 1/2" rails on the side, and I've gotten away with cutting that in half for a grand total of 1 1/2" on each panel/3" on each door removed. This requires additional support in the form of pocket screws since you compromise the strength of the door by cutting into the dowels that hold it together. The doors with thinner rails will of course not allow this much loss.

Also, if you can, it's best to not narrow the two outer most vertical rails on the two doors(those nearest the jambs) if you can help it, as visually, they look too thin for the rest of the doors. All of the other verticals look OK, because they all butt up to another when closed which doubles the visual thickness.

Once you've cut it, just use a router with a small roundover to get the original look of the door back. I leave the sharp edge on side of all verticals
    That but up to another. If you align your doors well, it's an awfully clean look.
    I know it's not the solution you were looking for, but between narrowing the doors and maybe doing something creative with the door jamb(using a thinner stock), you might be able to get enough space to suit your needs.

Thanks,
    Json
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 06:52 PM
    I am afraid that the most you can take off a louvered door is about 3/8 to 1/2 " on each side before you start to expose the slots for the louvers. I will checvk again but I do not recall any bifold that fits in a 36" opening.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Song from "The girl next door" [ 2 Answers ]

In the scene when the two main characters kiss at the high school party there is a song being played. Who sings it? What is the name of the song? I have bought the soundtrack and the song is not on there. Please need some help.

Volvo S80 - Door Lock is making a "spitting" sound when locking/unlocking [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 2000 S80 T6 that has suddenly started making sort of a spitting sound in the back driver side door lock when the locks are prompted to lock/unlock. It doesn't usually keep the lock from functioning, but there have been a few instances where the lock doesn't lock. Any thoughts on what...

1993 grand marquis door panels [ 1 Answers ]

Anybody know how to take the door panels off a 93 grand marquis, thanks in advance.

Garage Door Opener "rough-in" [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm in the process of wirring a detached garage, and I'm considering installing an automatic garage door opener. My question is: since I didn't purchase the machine yet (in fact, I don't know too much about how these things are connected at all), can someone give me some advice on how to...

Yet another "closet flange is too high, what to do" question [ 6 Answers ]

OK... let me first say thanks again for all the prior help. What's there: Concrete floor 3" cast iron Lead pipe connecting closet flange to closet el Brass closet flange will end up at 1" over fininshed floor... Ok... so I used a small, sharp screw driver and hammer and worked the...

View more questions Search