Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jeff777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Can you put furniture in front of a cold air return vent?
    Hi,

I want to place a piece of furniture in front of a cold air return vent. The vent is close to the floor. There would be a gap of at least 3 inches between the vent and the back of the furniture. Would this pose any problems with the vent being able to function effectively?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 08:59 AM
    It's always not a good thing to do, but sometimes it's inevitable. Your not cutting off the air supply, so in that sense it's good.

The only real change might be creature comfort. The room may be cooler than it was before if we are talking the heating season.

If you have AC, hopefully you have hot air returns at the ceiling and have bothe such that they can be alternately closed/open depending on he season.
    tsa7man Posts: 154, Reputation: 9

Jan 14, 2008, 09:29 AM
    If you block an air vent ( feed or return ) one may not make too much of a difference to the operation of your furnace / AC but if two are blocked, you could be in big trouble with the AC coil freezing up and the main limit of the furnace tripping due to lack of PROPER air flow across the heat exchanger... AC systems need aprox 400 CFM per ton of cooling and a furnace has a "rise" spec. that is listed on the ID label that tells you the difference of air temp between the feed air and the return air temp should be with ALL feed and returns open and a clean air filter, for the unit to operate correctly... and to have comfort and long term heat exchanger life...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Air Return Vent [ 23 Answers ]

I have a small 850sqft condo. Lived her a couple of years. I have an old Borg Warner 65000 input BTU/HR unit. Model P3UGD080N6501A. Its an older unit. There is only one return in the condo which is located on the far side of the living room, connecting directly to the HVAC unit which is on the...

Return Air Vent installation [ 1 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement which is 330 sq ft. and surrounded by 3 walls of foundation and 1 wall that is the garage. I will be tapping into the existing AC unit for the supply vents, but was wondering about the need and placement for a return air vent. Is one needed, and if so where should the...

Sealed return air vent [ 2 Answers ]

We just purchased a home built in the 50's, and the grill for the return air vent in the hallway is sealed with tape and aluminum foil. It seems to be pretty tight, as if whoever sealed it had a really good reason to do so. What would the reason be for doing this? We can't decide if we are going...

Cold air return vent [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a home recently that has gas heat. It has a crawl space not a basement. The cold air return register put our cold air. I always thought the cold air return register takes the room cold air and returns it to the heater. Am I correct and if so have do I correct it.

Return vent/duct [ 4 Answers ]

I have a few questions regarding my cold house. I have 2 very large what I was told are returns in the floor in different rooms. One is connected by duct work to the furnace. The other is just open and I can see right into the basement through the grate. Do I need to leave the "open" one...

View more questions Search