Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Inayah Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Both bathtubs clogged and toilets won't flush
    Both our bathtubs are clogged and both toilets won't flush. We've tried Zepp in both tubs and one seemed to drain fine while the other one didn't. We then tried the snake and couldn't get it to go in the bathtub with the drain problem more than two feet or so. We were able to remove some hair from one tub (the other tub that drained ok) and more hair in the sink in the bathroom with the problem. We then tried plunging and we thought it was successful because the tub started draing perfect. Then we noticed the clog moved to the other bathtub. We continued plunging and now the toilet or toilets have backed up into the bathtub (very gross)! So were back to both bathtubs being clogged and the toilets not flushing as long as there is standing water in the tubs. Can someone please recommend something. I think I may have to call a plumber but I'm worried about the cost. Is this something we can fix ourselves or do we need to make that call?
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:41 AM
    The main line is clogged, price different plumbers for clearing a main line. It should cost anywhere from 85 dollars up to 450 dollars, depending on who does it.

Jan 13, 2008, 04:09 PM
    Thank you, we did call a plumber because we couldn't even get it to drain at all after that. As soon as he walked in and saw what was backed up into the bathtub he knew what the problem was. He couldn't find the wash out drain and had to probe to find it but once found he ran about 70 feet (until it broke through to the city sewer) and when he pulled the line back it had tree roots on it the line was clear. So it looks as though tree roots were blocking the main line. The cost was not as bad as I thought it would be, after paying for locating the wash out drain and to clear the main line it was right under $300. Problem solved and we can shower again! Thanks again for responding. :)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2008, 04:29 PM
    For those pesky roots RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps Tom

Jan 13, 2008, 08:52 PM
    Ok great we will do that!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2008, 04:47 AM
    It is my opinion that roots in a line will represent a break in the line and a future problem. Did he mention where the roots were and if they are on the right of way or on your side of the line and how deep?

Jan 14, 2008, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    it is my opinion that roots in a line will represent a break in the line and a future problem. did he mention where the roots were and if they are on the right of way or on your side of the line and how deep?

Actually he did not say how far in it was, my husband says he did mention that we could pour bleach down the toilet once every six months. I think we are going to take the advice of speedball1 and use the chemicals he has suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gurgling in pipes after all toilets flush [ 6 Answers ]

What causes pipes to make a moaning/gurgling sound after flushing toilets? And how can I fix it? We live in a 107-year old house and have lived here for the past three years. About a month or so, we started to hear our pipes after flushing the toilets. You can hear the sound from one of the...

2 story house dwn stairs toilets don't flush solids [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 story house with 3 bathrooms built in 76... 2 days ago the 2 toilets downstairs started to act up and won't complete flush cycle 7 out of 10 times... solids remain... I have a 50' auger and have snaked the line from access outside kitchen wall and also from back center of house. Nothing...

Toilets don't flush at the same time [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a new house only 1 1/2 years old no basement and one story 2000 sqare feet. We have two toilets. On occasion one toilet gets stuffed and does not flush properly occasionally both tolitets at the same time do the same. Ive snaked it many times and get it work for a while, but ihappens...

Toilets fill with water but will not flush [ 1 Answers ]

I have two toilets which are back to back on either side of a wall. I am experiencing occasional problems with both toilets flushing. I have a convntional septic system and the tank was cleaned out about two years ago before I purchaced the home. I called the company who cleaned it and asked if...

Tubs/toilets clogged [ 1 Answers ]

Three days ago, in our ranch house with 2 full baths, both showers were used and the water stopped draining and when the toilet was flushed it did not drain but overflowed and also caused water to start leaking in a small pinhole in the cast iron drainage pipe between bath #1 and bath #2. Bath #1...

View more questions Search