Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Then you recommend copper over PVC or PVCV for water pipes? what about Pex?
    Ordinarily I would recommend copper, but copper has become cost prohibitive, which means copper is out of the equation when the job is being done on a budget.

Dollar for dollar, CPVC and PEX are nearly interchangeable in material costs.

However, PEX has a considerably lower labor cost due to significantly less stringent installation requirements.

And when it comes to re-pipes where minimizing the amount of wall surfaces that need to be removed to create pipe chases or drops, fishing flexible PEX tubing through wall cavities wins, hands down.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Could someone please tell me which cpvc glue requires primer on the glue can label? Or which cpvc pipe manufacturer requires primer on their cpvc pipe?
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    could someone please tell me which cpvc glue requires primer on the glue can label? or which cpvc pipe manufacturer requires primer on their cpvc pipe?
    It is my understanding that the Oatey orange CPVC cement is listed as a two stage cement requiring primer.

As for the manufacturers, most that I am aware of stipulate a single stage yellow cement.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 08:04 AM
    IAPMO - Plumbing Research Directory
    Excerpts
    CHARACTERISTICS: CPVC Solvent cements are intended for use with listed CPVC pipe and fittings, and the one step CPVC Solvent cements are intended for use with listed 1/2 inch through 2 inch listed CPVC pipe and fittings;

MODELS:
    *Gold Label – Lo-VOC 1-Step Flowguard Gold® Gold Medium Body CPVC Cement
    *Yellow Label – Lo-VOC 1-Step All Weather Flowguard Gold® Yellow Medium Body CPVC Cement
    Gray Label Industrial Grade Lo-VOC Heavy Duty Gray CPVC Cement
    Orange Label CPVC Medium Body Cement
    Orange Label CPVC Heavy Duty Cement
    Orange Label Lo-VOC Orange Medium CPVC Cement
    Orange Label Oatey 914 Heavy Body Orange CPVC Cement
    United Elchem
    UNI-WELD 3200 (Orange Label) Orange CPVC Solvent Cement (Medium Body Medium Set)
    PLASTIC-WELD 603 (Orange Label) Orange CPVC Solvent Cement (Medium Body)

*Where Local Codes Permit, 1-Step Products may be used without Primer.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    IAPMO - Plumbing Research Directory
    exerpts
    CHARACTERISTICS: CPVC Solvent cements are intended for use with listed CPVC pipe and fittings, and the one step CPVC Solvent cements are intended for use with listed 1/2 inch through 2 inch listed CPVC pipe and fittings;

MODELS:
    *Gold Label – Lo-VOC 1-Step Flowguard Gold® Gold Medium Body CPVC Cement
    *Yellow Label – Lo-VOC 1-Step All Weather Flowguard Gold® Yellow Medium Body CPVC Cement
    Gray Label Industrial Grade Lo-VOC Heavy Duty Gray CPVC Cement
    Orange Label CPVC Medium Body Cement
    Orange Label CPVC Heavy Duty Cement
    Orange Label Lo-VOC Orange Medium CPVC Cement
    Orange Label Oatey 914 Heavy Body Orange CPVC Cement
    United Elchem
    UNI-WELD 3200 (Orange Label) Orange CPVC Solvent Cement (Medium Body Medium Set)
    PLASTIC-WELD 603 (Orange Label) Orange CPVC Solvent Cement (Medium Body)

*Where Local Codes Permit, 1-Step Products may be used without Primer.
    Right, but if you read the directions on a can of Oatey's orange cement (medium, heavy, low VOC etc) the assembly guidelines include applying primer.

Personally, the only times I have ever used Orange CPVC cement were the few times I used lab grade CPVC DWV pipe and fittings in commercial applications.
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2008, 06:33 PM
    Well, I guess I learned something today.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 11:01 AM
    I guess the best approach is to avoid using a glue that needs a primer for CPVC since building codes do not universally allow the purple stuff.
    venba Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 20, 2008, 08:53 PM

Hello Florencehere,
    Did you finally get the repipe done? If so who was the contractor and how was the workmanship. I am looking for repipe in Houston. Appreciate your input.
    Ven
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 21, 2008, 06:37 AM
    QUOTE=doug238;8 note, you don't use primer on cpvc pipe or fittings[/QUOTE] I have to disagree, All plastic pipes and fittings NUST be primed to remove the glaze.

Should specific types of primers and solvent cements be used on a CPVC system? Are specific colors required?

CPVC solvent cement, should always be for CPVC piping and manufactured to meet the requirements of ATM F 493. Purple primer manufactured for PVC pipe is acceptable. Faster flashing CPVC primer is available(see image), and is recommended for cold weather installations. Orange CPVC solvent cement and purple primer are specifically required by certain code bodies to facilitate identification by plumbing inspectors. Unpigmented CPVC solvent cement and primers are available and are acceptable in various jurisdictions. Clear cement/primer provides neater finished appearance. One-step cements are now available and are fully satisfactory if the manufacturer's instructions are carefully followed. Your local plumbing inspector can provide a final answer to this question.
    Always prime PVC, CPVC and ABS before gluing. Sorry Doug and growler, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copper vs plastic pipes to repipe an apartment building? [ 2 Answers ]

A proposal has been made to owners of our apartment building to repipe using copper pipes. Assessments are around $5,500 for a 960 sq condo. The building has 107 suites. Location: Vancouver, BC. Canada. We are trying to find out if there is a cheaper alternative. Ingrid009

Copper Repipe [ 4 Answers ]

I'm considering to copper repipe my home. The existing plumbing is galvanized pipe which are beginning to leak. I'm in the process of getting estimates for the job. What important questions should I ask the contractor when they're providing their estimate? Thank you.

Frozen pipes - detecting burst pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Cold side of the kitchen faucet was frozen this a.m. Trickle returned this evening, followed by an immediate drop in hot faucet pressure - then some brownish water - the brownish water lasted 20 seconds - but the pressure is still low 1/3 pressure now and can get both some hot and some cold Have...

Old Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm redoing a bathroom in a 1960's vintage home. Wanted to replace the rusted pipes draining from the sink (in the wall) with pvc. Should I screw out the pipe or just pull. Do I have to knock out the wall and get a clear view or can I do the job without wall damage. When I install the PVC do I...

View more questions Search