Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deargeorgia Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Cutting cultured marble
    I would like to cut out the precast cultured marble sinks in a bathroom countertop and replace them with drop-in or under-the-counter sinks. First, can this be done effectively? Second, what type of tool should be used?:confused:
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 11, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Marble is one of the hardest material to cut. I would hilly recommend to get a marble counter company to do it for you. You really would find it hard to deal with considering to do this you would need to take the counter top out to put in the sink. To cut marble you would need a diamond tipped blade and it would have to be lubricated while cutting. It a hard job for less experience people. I would get a people that deals with this type of material rather then do it yourself.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 09:02 AM
    Cultured marble is softer than granite and not that hard to cut. You can forget about under the sink because you'll not get a clean enough cut to show your edge. Cultured marble is more fiberglass resin and gelcoat than marble dust. I have done what you want to do with a jig saw and a wood cutting blade, strt with a pilot hole drilled right on the cutting line. The drop in sink will cover the cut edge and most drop ins come with a template. If you try this I'd recommend putting duct tape on the sole of the jig saw so you will not scratch the surface of the counter.
    MariaH2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 08:37 AM

There's no need to cut anything out. My countertops were in good shape, but the sinks were bad. Someone referred me to a product called KwikBowl (Kwik-bowl: The Cultured Marble Solution). They came in, measured my sinks, manufactured a custom-fit sink and dropped them inside my old ones in about 10 minutes. And, at about $100 a bowl, it was a lot cheaper than cutting out the bowl or tearing out the whole countertop. I now have beautiful acrylic sinks that look just like I cut out the old one and put in new ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cultured Marble Vanity Top [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to cut a cultured marble vanity top with, say, a circular saw?

Tile & Cultured Marble [ 2 Answers ]

Can one rough up and tile right over 1/4" Cultured Marble wall panels?

Cultured marble vanity top [ 7 Answers ]

I picked up a cultured marble vanity top to fit on my vanity at home. I didn't remember that the vanity fits into a corner and thus didn't factor in the vanity having a finished edge on that side. Is it possible for me to trim the cultured marble with a circular saw or is specialized...

Cultured Marble Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

OK guys, got to good deal on a large cultured marble tub + surround from local manufacter. My first pick was a large cast iron tub but no way for me to easily move it in the house. Cultured marble man is going to install the tub and surround for me. The material looks very strong and durable. ...

View more questions Search